Trailer Valet - Has anyone used one of these? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2017, 07:57 AM   #21

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
We bought an XL model last year. Works well, but it is a a slow powerful tool, It is very safe. We store our Scmp 13 is a leanto that is 9.5' wide. It takes me about 10 minutes to hook it up and back it it. The positive is that I have not scraped any thing using it.

BobH.
BobH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:28 AM   #22

Name: Sandra
Trailer: Parkliner SOLD November 2017
South Carolina
Registry
Trailer Valet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
Your aren't visualising how it actually works. I installed a CURT front hitch for $150 and move around in a smaller area than you have. You would simply need to pull past your driveway, unhitch and turn the TV around rehitch and push it back in around the corner.

Look at this video to give you a better idea. LINK
Wow! I never knew about a front hitch. I will look up CURT in a few minutes.

Thanks for the information. That is what I love about these forums, someone always has a good suggestion for a problem!
Sandy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:19 AM   #23

South Carolina
Registry
Trailer Valet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTownDog View Post
Can you fill in some of the grass with additional cement in the mow strip and along the driveway to allow for a flatter (not as sharp of a turn) transition from the road to the driveway? HOA allow it?

Re-position the mailbox (?) in the picture and add more surface on the inside of the turn. Probably have to jump the curb but you would be on cement and not on the grass.

In any case, good luck.
Good suggestion, but the HOA probably won't allow it.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:24 AM   #24

South Carolina
Registry
Trailer Valet

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmccracken View Post
If your trailer is light weight, a trailer dolly like this one will work well.
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Acces...w/MT70225.html
I used one of these to manoeuvre my boler trailer in the driveway. As long as there are no steep slopes it's easy! You may need a second person to help push the trailer wheels over a low curb, but otherwise it's a one man job.
Probably wouldn't work for me. I'm 5' 2" tall and 62 years old. I don't have the strength that I use to have and probably couldn't muscle a 2,400 lb trailer around.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:06 AM   #25

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy54 View Post
No, I don't have a garden tractor, although that would probably work well. A garden tractor would cost just as much as the Trailer Valet.

Even if I put a receiver on the front of the truck, it still wouldn't work because the back end of the truck would not fit on the road. I would jackknife the truck and trailer going either way.
I think I'd go the garden tractor / riding mower route. Around here (northeastern NC), you can get one with a decent transmission and engine but no mower deck for $200 or less. Check with a local small engine repair shop and let them know what you're looking for.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:33 AM   #26

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I move our 13 foot Uhaul around the yard with an old 14 horsepower John Deere lawn tractor
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:01 PM   #27

South Carolina
Registry
CURT Front hitch

Quote:
Your aren't visualising how it actually works. I installed a CURT front hitch for $150 and move around in a smaller area than you have. You would simply need to pull past your driveway, unhitch and turn the TV around rehitch and push it back in around the corner.

Look at this video to give you a better idea. LINK
Randy - I just ordered a CURT front hitch for my Ford Ranger. The price has gone up a bit; $229, but I'm going to give it a try.

I notice NH in your user name, I use to live in Henniker NH.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:16 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I don't have a front hitch, but if I did, this is what I would be looking at. Note that there are iron gate posts behind the trailer, either side, that you can't see.
Using my rear hitch and my mirrors, I can see down both sides of the trailer and I can back into my carport.
Attached Thumbnails
front hitch.jpg  
Old 03-06-2017, 01:24 PM   #29

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
Quote:
Randy - I just ordered a CURT front hitch for my Ford Ranger. The price has gone up a bit; $229, but I'm going to give it a try.

I notice NH in your user name, I use to live in Henniker NH.
The only one on Earth.

If you still lived there I'd have been happy to help you install it.

As for the price, check the part number on Amazon, if you haven't already...
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:58 PM   #30

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
set an anchor and Hook up a winch in your driveway. Unload your trailer in front of your driveway. with a front caster push the front end out into the street leaving the back bumper in line with the driveway. hook up the winch with an extended cable and pull the trailer up the driveway.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:16 PM   #31

New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
set an anchor and Hook up a winch in your driveway. Unload your trailer in front of your driveway. with a front caster push the front end out into the street leaving the back bumper in line with the driveway. hook up the winch with an extended cable and pull the trailer up the driveway.
That there is the Git-R-Done approach, I like it!

So long as it isn't at a perfect 90° you could just walk it around as the winch pulled it, very little effort.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:44 PM   #32

South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
The only one on Earth.

If you still lived there I'd have been happy to help you install it.

As for the price, check the part number on Amazon, if you haven't already...
I checked Amazon, there wasn't much of a difference in the price. I looked at the hitch on CURT website and it was over $300!

Our house when we lived in Henniker, we live in SC now.
Attached Thumbnails
Scan_20160624.png  
Old 03-06-2017, 05:44 PM   #33

New Hampshire
Quote:
I checked Amazon, there wasn't much of a difference in the price. I looked at the hitch on CURT website and it was over $300!

Our house when we lived in Henniker, we live in SC now.
I just wanted to make sure, I was afraid you'd gotten it on the Curt site and knew their prices were crazy.

That's how my house looked again this year.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:50 PM   #34

New Hampshire
I guessed at the year of your ranger, 2012 and retailer has the front hitch for $161.95 LINK
Old 03-07-2017, 10:43 PM   #35

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I realize your question had to do with using a "valet" for your trailer. You mention that your HOV does not allow trailers to be parked for any length of time. Perhaps you don't need to bring your trailer home at all.

Our town does not allow RVs parked outdoors at ANY time or place. We do not have room on our tiny property to store our 13' Scamp nor to drive it on our tiny one-lane dead end street with 10 houses. Our solution has actually proved to be OK. We pay to store our trailer outdoors one hour from our home (on our usual route to camping destinations). With good planning and lots of lists we manage to stock and "glamp" (glamorous camping & decorating) our trailer from afar.

The storage facility requires that we empty the trailer of any food while in storage. This is actually a good rule for any parked trailer as you don't risk having spoiled food nor pesky critters setting up house. It also eliminates the nagging thoughts of what was left in the trailer. When returning from a camping trip we take home all the towels, linens, pots and pans, silverware and dishware to clean and then pack it all in a box labeled "Trailer Basics". When ready for the next trip we simply pack clothing, food and our "Trailer Basics" box and we're ready to go again. This system makes for "KISS camping" (Keep It Simple Sweetie).
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:41 AM   #36

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Perhaps you don't need to bring your trailer home at all.--Gilda

Agreed. I was going to suggest the same thing--it must've occurred to me remotely as Gilda was typing!

Good planning is helpful even if the trailer is right there...but even more so at a remove.

BEST
Kai
Old 04-23-2017, 12:06 PM   #37

New Hampshire
Hey Sandy, how did everything work out? Hopefully, your out there camping..
Old 04-23-2017, 04:31 PM   #38

South Carolina
Registry
I got a Trailer Valet and it works great. Can't use it in sand or really loose gravel. BTW, I use to live on Henniker NH.