Trailer weight - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-09-2009, 09:09 PM   #1

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Talking

Just got back from weighing my Trillium 1300. It weighs 1690#.

This is with bedding, appliances and maybe a couple of galllons of water in the tank and of course it is +/- 20 lbs which is why I picked 1690. The display was fluctuating between 1680 and 1700.

It weighed 1490# just the wheels, but when I set down the tongue support...

A little hint: I was ready to pay the $5 and when the lady said, "Certified copy?" I said I didn't need one, that I just wanted to see what it weighs. She said go on for nothing, I will turn the outside display on for you.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:44 PM   #2

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
I think all these trailers weigh more than we realize.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:05 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
Registry
Quote:
A little hint: I was ready to pay the $5 and when the lady said, "Certified copy?" I said I didn't need one, that I just wanted to see what it weighs. She said go on for nothing, I will turn the outside display on for you.
Whare was this, Roger?

Ron
Old 07-11-2009, 02:49 AM   #4

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Talking

Quote:
Whare was this, Roger?
Ron
Palmer Coking Coal, Black Diamond, WA.

http://www.palmercc.com/

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi,
I am a newbie here and looking for a really light weight trailer so please excuse if my question below is common knowledge.

From scanning the forums I get the impression that the 13 ft fiberglass trailers may have been advertised by the manufacturers at 900 to 950 lbs but in real life are 1300-1600 lbs.

Are any of the 13 ft models actually lightweight (dry weight of say 850-950)? Is there a difference between the weight of the 13 ft models eg burro, uhaul boler ...(is one lighter than the other)?

thanks for your wisdom.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:27 AM   #6

Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Hi,
I am a newbie here and looking for a really light weight trailer so please excuse if my question below is common knowledge.

From scanning the forums I get the impression that the 13 ft fiberglass trailers may have been advertised by the manufacturers at 900 to 950 lbs but in real life are 1300-1600 lbs.

Are any of the 13 ft models actually lightweight (dry weight of say 850-950)? Is there a difference between the weight of the 13 ft models eg burro, uhaul boler ...(is one lighter than the other)?

thanks for your wisdom.
Our Scamp weighed in at 1600# loaded for the road (5 gal water, one 5 gal propane tank, no fridge or battery), and I'll be dipped if our Compact Jr didn't weigh in with 10 pounds of 1600# also. (7 1/2 gal propane tank, no fridge or battery either) Larry
Old 07-16-2009, 10:41 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Brian, Yes most egg's (actually this probably holds true for most rv's) are advertised at a certain weight. But I believe that the advertised weight is what the trailer weights before things like fridge, ac, heater, stove, propane tanks, carpet, tile, awnings, etc are added. It's a kinda a mis-guided numbers in my opinion. I don't understand why they can't get reasonably close to actuall weight, and somewhere in the itty bitty print they probably state why but more times than not, everyone goes by what is advertised. Our 2007 Casita weighted in at 2800 pounds empty. Much more than the weight I was under the impression it was gonna weight. Still for us and our truck that's a piece of cake. Hardly know it's there. But as our world changes and we get more intune with smaller is better, it's just a fact that the world of little fiberglass trailers still might be toooooooo weighty for some vehicles to tow. That being said, it may take you a lot of searching but you more than likely can find one with in that 900 pound range. And hopefully others will be able to pipe in with some suggestions of what brands to look for. But in my opinion you still need to take it down and weight it and see for your self what the actual weight is.. Cause as you can see you can't go off what is stated.

I think for you, looking for an older egg would help you keep weight down as I know our older casita weighted a lot less than our newer one. I don't know why, but I guess things like fridges, a/c's, carpet, propane tanks weight more in 2009 than what they weighted in the 60's and 70's..............
Old 07-16-2009, 11:19 AM   #8

Name: Daniel
Trailer: '74 Trillium 1300
-
Quote:
Just got back from weighing my Trillium 1300. It weighs 1690#.
1800-1900+ with luggage is not uncommon for these trailers, even older ones that were supposedly a bit lighter. And yes, the 900-1000 lbs numbers from the 70's are meaningless. I don't know if this makes you feel any better, but yours seems very normal to me.

Tags
weighing, weight