Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Great work, Mike.

Thanks.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #212

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
OK, I am biased, but we need more Trilliums on that list.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #213

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
I think more Escapes would be great. Frederick, are you willing to make a trip to British Columbia for June 7 to 9... there will be 82 Escapes there!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #214

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Heh how about some ParkLiner's too! Lol

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #215

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
If fred says okay then will do.
I think that's a great idea!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Frederick, are you willing to make a trip to British Columbia for June 7 to 9... there will be 82 Escapes there!
I wish I could.

Anybody got $35,000 USD that I can have to finish paying off my mortgage?
Then I could quit my job and just travel to all of the rallys weighing trailers!
Old 04-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #216

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I think more Escapes would be great. Frederick, are you willing to make a trip to British Columbia for June 7 to 9... there will be 82 Escapes there!
While there are a number of Escapes on the list there should be more due to the number of them that attend the Bandon meet were Frederick did the weigh ins for a few years. Actually Escape was the second (in numbers) most popular trailer at the meet last year. Unfortunately not all those who attended the rally (just not Escape owners) bothered to have their trailers weighed.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #217

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Fred I am going to throw this out for discussion. Is there any merit to putting another column next to the "total" column and put in Manufacturer's recommended spec? I'm not quite sure if there is value but think we could graph variations and percentages. See whats above and or below the spec. Perhaps Rabbit could come up with some mathematical interpretations of the data.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #218

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Is there any merit to putting another column next to the "total" column and put in Manufacturer's recommended spec? I'm not quite sure if there is value but think we could graph variations and percentages. See whats above and or below the spec.
Recommended spec for what - gross trailer weight, axle weight, or tongue weight? Manufacturer's values for gross trailer weight and axle weight are maximum limits, not recommendations; there is usually neither a recommendation nor a limit provided for tongue weight by by trailer manufacturer.

I hope that no significant fraction of trailers are over their maximums, although of course some likely are.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #219

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Mike,
This post is truly valuable. I wish that the tow vehicle associated with each trailer was posted for additional perspective.

As well, most people post their trailer but neglect under their posting name but rarely do people post their tow vehicle. This is another area where a small amount of additional information would be valuable.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #220

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Good Point Norm, I will add my tv on

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #221

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Fred I am going to throw this out for discussion. Is there any merit to putting another column next to the "total" column and put in Manufacturer's recommended spec? I'm not quite sure if there is value but think we could graph variations and percentages. See whats above and or below the spec. Perhaps Rabbit could come up with some mathematical interpretations of the data.
This reminds me of here at work. People come up with customized charts all the time that they want me to populate for something nearly only they are interested in. What I do is provide them data on my parts that allows them to populate their own chart with my data while adding their own interests. I think Frederick has done quite enough I just collecting the data.

Having gone through the weighing process once at a big rally I understand how much work is involved. Plus I know Frederick is taking pains to protect privacy and tow vehicle data (in allowing one to pair vehicles to trailer) might exceed the comfort level. Frankly, I came away slightly disgusted at that time what with some objecting to the modest fee the RVSEF people were asking but the same people were hanging around trying to see over the shoulder of similar vehicles.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #222

British Columbia
Registry
Mike the only specs other than what Brian indicated - axle max weight etc that manufactures normally supply are the trailers dry weight spec. There are so many variables to that as to what is and isn't included that its value IMHO would be very limited.

One of the great things about Fredericks list is the weights are what they are in the real world. If the dry weight specs where added it would be human nature for people wanting/wishing their trailers to weigh less in order to pull it within the specs of X type vehicle is that some might suggest that the trailers on the list are stuffed full of stuff they would never carry. That happens now as it is. I fear that will happen even more than it does now if the dry specs were included on the list.

An example would be my own trailer which appears on the list twice and has been weighed many other times as well and each time comes in give or take within 40 lbs of whats listed. Yet time and time again I see people with the same trailer claim that their trailers weigh less than mine loaded. Some of those trailers I am aware have other options, more storage and pull with water in their tanks so I am left scratching my head as to how those trailers could possible weigh less than mine. Due to this I am personally glad that Frederick has remained fairly diligent in regards to under what conditions that a trailer weight has been added to the list or not added, when the trailer wasn't one he weighed himself.

IMHO the few numbers added to the list as it stands the better. Would hate to take away from the great value of Frederick's list by add another layer of variable numbers for people to make inaccurate assumptions on.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #223

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I understand everyones comments above thats why I asked if there were any value to the additional data. In retrospect I have my Egg specs and I can compare it to others or to my own measurements.
Thanks for the input and will consider "case closed"
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #224

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
Having gone through the weighing process once at a big rally I understand how much work is involved. Plus I know Frederick is taking pains to protect privacy and tow vehicle data (in allowing one to pair vehicles to trailer) might exceed the comfort level. Frankly, I came away slightly disgusted at that time what with some objecting to the modest fee the RVSEF people were asking but the same people were hanging around trying to see over the shoulder of similar vehicles.
not to mention that in the two years that I had mine weighed at the rally there were a great many trailers that didn't go through the weigh in on arrival even though I dont recall any fee being charged. One can only speculate as to why some bypassed the weigh in but I followed for the last few miles to one of the rallies one such trailer/tug combo. At the time I wasn't at all surprised when they opted not to have it weighed.

Including the tow vehicle info may not provide the type of info that Frederick is attempting to provide. Including the tow vehicle info can be very misleading. Just because someone is pulling with a certain vehicle does not mean the person doing the driving would recommend it to others to pull the same trailer. An example would be that I have pulled a 16' with my own tug many years and miles without problems and although the trailer is less than the tug manufacturer's tow specs I personally would not recommend the same tug and trailer combo if someone was starting out from scratch and they had the option of buying a different tug. Another party camped next to me at the last meet indicated that they were looking to upgrade their tug as they were not at all happy with the ability of their tug to handle their 13' trailer - they have had experience pulling with other tugs and had decided to use the tug in question because a number of others here said it was a good tug for that trailer combo.

Tags
weighing, weight