Trailer Weights in the Real World - Page 17 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-17-2016, 08:59 AM   #321

Name: Henry
Trailer: Intend to buy one day.
Florida
Make the information available to all in an online spreadsheet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
This list is now complete. While I may be computer literate, I am not totally computer fluent. I have this data in an excel spreadsheet, and when I cut-and-pasted it here, I lost the column structure of excel.
Wonderful work, Frederick! It's a gift that keeps on giving for everyone, even now 6 years later! Have you considered putting your Excel spreadsheet in an online Google spreadsheet, where it would retain its original formatting and be accessible to all? (Or has this already been done and I don't know about it?) Would very very easy to do!
Henry Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:04 AM   #322

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Smith View Post
Wonderful work, Frederick! It's a gift that keeps on giving for everyone, even now 6 years later! Have you considered putting your Excel spreadsheet in an online Google spreadsheet, where it would retain its original formatting and be accessible to all? (Or has this already been done and I don't know about it?) Would very very easy to do!
It has. Jon Vermilye maintains it (at least I think he still does). The link is in post #297. I believe you can e-mail or message him with your loaded trailer weight and he will add it to the data, although not many people seem to be doing that lately.

I agree- this is a fantastic resource!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:05 AM   #323

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
With Frederick's permission, I have been keeping an updated spreadsheet of "Trailer Weights in the Real World" that can be downloaded here: http://lakeshoreimages.com/spreadsheets/Weight.xls

It includes an addition by Steve LaBroad that lets you filter & sort by any variable. Useful for finding average tongue & trailer weights.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:11 AM   #324

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
It would be cool if the OP kept editing the first post to add links like that. I never made it to post 297.. !

I agree too. This thread was what convinced me that I'd be able to pull a Bigfoot 17 with my Tacoma. An older Bigfoot, anyway. It's a great resource.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:12 AM   #325

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
AMERIGO 1973 FG-16

Gutted entirely except for molded ceiling and wooden upper cabinets (doors off), no batteries, no propane tanks, no plywood floor, our 1973 amerigo FG-16 level tongue weight was 90 pounds using our home scale, which is about 5 pounds lighter than the scale at the doctor's office.

Does that mean technically the empty shell and frame weigh about 950 pounds?
Old 04-17-2016, 11:09 AM   #326

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
AMERIGO 1973 FG-16

Gutted entirely except for molded ceiling and wooden upper cabinets (doors off), no batteries, no propane tanks, no plywood floor, our 1973 amerigo FG-16 level tongue weight was 90 pounds using our home scale, which is about 5 pounds lighter than the scale at the doctor's office.

That means technically nothing about total weight. One could have a 10,000 lb trailer with a 90 lb tongue... not that it would be safe to tow, of course. But by coincidence, I suspect that your gutted Amerigo could indeed weigh less than 1000 lbs.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:53 AM   #327

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
It has. Jon Vermilye maintains it (at least I think he still does). The link is in post #297. I believe you can e-mail or message him with your loaded trailer weight and he will add it to the data, although not many people seem to be doing that lately.

I agree- this is a fantastic resource!
Aha! I wonder if there's any way to make the online spreadsheet more obvious and available for people's use. Something more up-front than "go to post #297"?
Old 04-17-2016, 12:00 PM   #328

Florida
Quote:
Aha! I wonder if there's any way to make the online spreadsheet more obvious and available for people's use. Something more up-front than "go to post #297"?
Whoops! Post #297 is on "page 22" (for anyone who wants to look). That's not an online spreadsheet, it's just a place where you (used to) could download the Excel spreadsheet. I'm talking about setting up the data in an online spreadsheet that can be accessed by everyone with the Internet address.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:20 PM   #329

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Whoops! Post #297 is on "page 22" (for anyone who wants to look). That's not an online spreadsheet, it's just a place where you (used to) could download the Excel spreadsheet. I'm talking about setting up the data in an online spreadsheet that can be accessed by everyone with the Internet address.
You can still download the latest version of the spreadsheet at the link in post # 297, but if a moderator can add a "post #1" with the link it would be easier to find. In any case, I plan to keep it up to date as long as I am...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:21 AM   #330

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
You can still download the latest version of the spreadsheet at the link in post # 297, but if a moderator can add a "post #1" with the link it would be easier to find. In any case, I plan to keep it up to date as long as I am...
Excellent resource, Jon, and thank you for doing it. I'm talking about uploading the spreadsheet into an online Google spreadsheet where it could be accessed by everyone without searching in the comments for it. If you haven't ever used a Google online spreadsheet, it's really easy. Want me to do it? I could give you sole editing capabilities there, and the URL could be posted for whomever wanted to see the information.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:26 AM   #331

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Excellent resource, Jon, and thank you for doing it. I'm talking about uploading the spreadsheet into an online Google spreadsheet where it could be accessed by everyone without searching in the comments for it. If you haven't ever used a Google online spreadsheet, it's really easy. Want me to do it? I could give you sole editing capabilities there, and the URL could be posted for whomever wanted to see the information.
Why not just bookmark: http://lakeshoreimages.com/spreadsheets/Weight.xls

in your browser. If this information is in three different places (here, Jon's resource which he may want to keep, and Google) it won't take long before there are three different spreadsheets.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:49 AM   #332

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Why not just bookmark: http://lakeshoreimages.com/spreadsheets/Weight.xls

in your browser. If this information is in three different places (here, Jon's resource which he may want to keep, and Google) it won't take long before there are three different spreadsheets.
Good point, Donna (I didn't know the location where the spreadsheet was kept). There should be only one place where any "latest update" of any spreadsheet is kept (and that would apparently be the link you noted above, if that's where Jon keeps it). The advantage of porting it to an online Google spreadsheet is (1) right now it has to be downloaded and opened by the person viewing the information (who may or may not have their own ss program), (2) every time a person who has downloaded the ss wants to look at it again, s/he has to go to Jon's location and download it all over again (for it may or may not have been updated), (3) every time someone downloads the file, it "multiplies" the number of copies, and (4) having it online as a Google spreadsheet means that it's updated in real-time and anytime someone looks at it they will know it's "current" when viewed. (Jon can do all this himself if he wants to; all he needs is a Google docs account; I offer to help because I work a fair amount with Google spreadsheets and known how to upload and arrange data from an Excel file.)
Old 04-18-2016, 10:15 AM   #333

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Guess we'll just need to see what Jon says. I can tell you I don't have Excel on this laptop and have no issues viewing Excel as I've downloaded the viewer and Word viewer and PowerPoint viewer I do see your point on several issues, but either way something has to be bookmarked to find it whether the link to the discussion here on FiberglassRV, Jon's link or a link to the file on Google docs.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:56 PM   #334

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
My 2 cents worth...

I took my fully loaded 13' 2016 Scamp with front bath and a/c to a scrap metal scale today and had it weighed. It is full of everything I expect to carry minus water (which I don't expect to carry) and it came in at 1660. I have not done tongue weight yet but was delighted it was under 2000# full.
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:26 PM   #335

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
I've looked for this spreadsheet several times. As a newbie I don't know if this makes sense, but what about having it available in the Documents Center, giving it a separate category - Weights... Just an idea.
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 03:16 PM   #336

Name: Livia
Trailer: 1979 Bigfoot 17'
Saskatchewan
We took our new-to-us 1979 Bigfoot 17 to a weigh station in Saskatchewan today while we were adjusting our newly installed brake controller. These weights are our real world DRY weight, meaning all fixed gear - two (empty) 20lb propane tanks, a Group 27 battery - but no water, no personal gear. Converted to pounds to match the excel sheet we weighed:

Trailer (unhitched) 2194 lbs
Tongue weight (car weight hitched minus car weight unhitched) 274lbs.

Our dry weight as listed on the inside of our closet door was 1875lbs. Assuming the battery and empty propane tanks weigh about 90lbs, this means our real world dry weight is only about 200 lbs heavier than factory estimated.

Now lets see when we get some gear inside! We plan to weigh again when we are packed to travel for a month in June.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:08 PM   #337

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
[QUOTE=Livia;587551]
Our dry weight as listed on the inside of our closet door was 1875lbs. Assuming the battery and empty propane tanks weigh about 90lbs, this means our real world dry weight is only about 200 lbs heavier than factory estimated.

/QUOTE]

The reason your Bigfoot is very close to the stated dry weight is that Bigfoots came with lots of items standard and not optional. While manufactures such as Boler's and Scamps had items such as a fridge, stove, water tanks, awning. bathroom etc as optional so their stated dry weights are more often than not much lower than what it factually is.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:56 AM   #338

Registry
Update on 1973 Amerigo tongue weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
AMERIGO 1973 FG-16

Once Paul got the new marine plywood floor installed and both deep cell marine batteries in their travel boxes chained up on the tongue plate, we re-weighed the tongue. Now it is at 210, which makes some sense, as the batteries are 45 pounds each. So that added 90 pounds to our previous 90 pound tongue weight...without adding a thing at the rear to counterbalance it.

I'm a little worried we're getting very heavy.

I'm concerned about the trailer and tongue weights, too!

The new look and the old look -- lexan window in rock shield now.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2016, 08:00 AM   #339

Name: Livia
Trailer: 1979 Bigfoot 17'
Saskatchewan
[QUOTE=Carol H;587633]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post

The reason your Bigfoot is very close to the stated dry weight is that Bigfoots came with lots of items standard and not optional. While manufactures such as Boler's and Scamps had items such as a fridge, stove, water tanks, awning. bathroom etc as optional so their stated dry weights are more often than not much lower than what it factually is.
Thanks!
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:36 AM   #340

Registry
Fredeick L: ever weigh an amerigo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
This list is now complete.
While I may be computer literate, I am not totally computer fluent.
I have this data in an excel spreadsheet, and when I cut-and-pasted it here, I lost the column structure of excel.

I work so hard here because I am passionate about this subject.
This must be MY hobby.

Thank you for doing all this! 112 listed and not one amerigo.
Hope to run into one day when you're doing this again at an Oregon gathering and maybe you can weigh our amerigo FG-16? Or haved
you completed this task forever?

BEST!
Kai in Seattle

Tags
weighing, weight