Trailer Weights in the Real World - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-25-2010, 09:37 PM   #15

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
My 13ft. U-Haul weighs in at 150 lbs. tongue and 1400 lbs. axle (including full water and propane tanks).
Jack, You mentioned propane tanks (plural). Do you have a dual setup? U-hauls usually only have one tank, I'm just wondering. Additionally, what do you have that would add appreciable weight such as swamp cooler or AC, propane furnace, 3way fridge, solar panel, spare tire, etc. Thanks!

(I'm still trying to figure out how to get a tongue weight on mine with my digital bathroom scale....not easy....) Its certainly interesting to see that Uhauls are not so common on the west coast! And Frederick - great job on that list!

Old 07-25-2010, 10:58 PM   #16

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Its certainly interesting to see that Uhauls are not so common on the west coast!
My across-the-street neighbor has one in his garage. (He rented that house specifically for the garage w/barn doors.) It hasn't seen the light of day since he moved in 5 years ago. I think there may be many more circumstances like that.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Pam,
Here is how I weigh my tongue.
I happen to have a BIG block of wood ( a jack stand would work ) and put it under the coupler. I then take the tongue jack up till all the weight is on the block of wood. Slide the scale under the jack and take the jack down till the coupler is off of the wood and you will have a close tongue weight.

It is close enough for me.

Bill K

Quote:
(I'm still trying to figure out how to get a tongue weight on mine with my digital bathroom scale....not easy....) Its certainly interesting to see that Uhauls are not so common on the west coast! And Frederick - great job on that list!
Old 07-29-2010, 11:39 AM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
*Thanks* Frederick for doing the weigh in at Bandon. It sure helps to give some of us ;-) a reminder that we need to pay close attention to what and where we stow our trailers.

I noted that you have a 16' Scamp listed with a axle weight of 2280 and tongue of 280 total 2520 suspect this is my 16' Standard Side bath but the tongue weight is a typo and should read 240? which is what my sheet showed.

As a side note I did do a minor re stow after you weighed it and stopped to have the trailer weighed again after and the axle came in at 2300 and tongue at 220 so I still need to work on getting the tongue down a bit more for its tow.

Thanks again.
Carol
Old 07-30-2010, 12:48 AM   #19

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I noted that you have a 16' Scamp listed with a axle weight of 2280 and tongue of 280 total 2520 suspect this is my 16' Standard Side bath but the tongue weight is a typo and should read 240? which is what my sheet showed.
Thank you for catching that. Yes, 240 is the value on my exel spreadsheet. I spent too much time trying to edit that data on the inversion powerboard software. Now that we are using vBulliten, the columns are all catywampus again.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:29 PM   #20

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe No More .. Sob!
Registry
I came across a free vehicle scale that allowed me to determine that my 2005 13’ Deluxe Scamp weighed in at 1880 pounds including a tongue weight estimate of 164 pounds. Included was 12 gallons of water and about 200 pounds of food, clothing, and tools. That makes a dry weight of 1580 pounds. (Lesson: Scamp’s literature tends towards underestimates.)
Old 08-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #21

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Jack, You mentioned propane tanks (plural). Do you have a dual setup? U-hauls usually only have one tank, I'm just wondering. Additionally, what do you have that would add appreciable weight such as swamp cooler or AC, propane furnace, 3way fridge, solar panel, spare tire, etc. Thanks!
Pam - Yes, I have (plural) tanks: one propane tank and one water tank. I swapped out the OE swamp cooler for a fan, and replaced the OE ice box with a storage cabinet for kitchen gear. The UHaul CT13's original furnace, solar panel and spare tire are still in use.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:13 AM   #22

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Great information!

I'm wondering how you weigh or calculate the tandem axles. The last picture in post #9 shows a tandem with one wheel on blocks and the other on the scale.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #23

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
I weighed my UHaul CT13 at a commercial truck scale. First, weighed the trailer while hitched on to the car (car OFF the scale) to get the axle weight (1400lbs.). Then the trailer unhitched with tongue wheel/jack ON the scale to get the total weight (1550lbs.). 1550 - 1400 = 150lbs. tongue weight.

We were on the road at the time, and the UHaul was actually loaded for camping with full propane and water tanks, bedding, clothing and kitchen gear, so the dry weight would be something less.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:39 AM   #24
Commercial Member

Name: Deb & Chuck
Trailer: Bigfoot,Trillum, Boler
Washington
Frederick,
This was our 20 ft. Bigfoot TF Deluxe at Bandon last year from your spreadsheet:
20'..........Bigfoot.....5th Wheel......4420........640...........5060

It had dual axles and an extra hitch mounted storage box on the back loaded, as opposed to a single axle that you weighed this year. I don't know if you want to note that or not? Thanks for doing this each year at Bandon, it is a real eye-opener for safety.
Deb
Old 08-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #25

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
I'm wondering how you weigh or calculate the tandem axles. The last picture in post #9 shows a tandem with one wheel on blocks and the other on the scale.
I had to go back and edit post #9. The software change to vBulletin® scrambled the way I originally posted the pictures, and chopped off some text. The 2 pictures of the tandem axle weigh-in are now back together. I had blocks before and after the scales on both sides; look closely at the two pictures.
  1. The trailer would first put the front axle onto the back blocks.
  2. Then the trailer would put the front axle on the scale, and the back axle on the back blocks.
  3. Then the trailer would put the front axle on the front blocks, and the back axle on the scale.
  4. Then the trailer would drive off the blocks (and Scale)
This would be a slow but bumpy process.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:44 PM   #26

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Thank you
Old 08-04-2010, 10:23 PM   #27

Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT13 ft ('The Mothball')
Thanks,
What a great resource. Your efforts are definitely appreciated.

I love that the U-Haul is one of the lighter ones, since we only have a Subaru Impreza.

Bridget
Old 09-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #28

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Just weighed our Scamp. No cargo at all. No water. Mostly full propane. No battery. Only big option is the 3-way fridge.

1984 Scamp 13'
Axle = 1,060 pounds
Tongue = 136 pounds
Total weight = 1,196 pounds

Tags
weighing, weight