Trailer Weights in the Real World - Page 22 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-18-2014, 01:57 PM   #295

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by THOMASJU View Post
Hey Frederick...Were those units measured in a campground with food, clothing, etc. aboard ?? I had my "new Compact Jr" weighed totally empty, last winter at two different commercial scales and each weighing was exactly the same....1240#. Is there some kind of a comparison that I can make between my empty weight and your chart ?? Thanx, TJ

I'm going to say yes to your question of, ready to camp weight versus empty. Unless otherwise stated. Because Frederick weights them at rally's where people are pulling into camp!

What would be interesting is, if when people weighed their trailers they would include the weights that were reported by the manufacture as well as what their weight were. Because as we know the "real world" weight is so different than what the manufactures state the weight is.....

Old 07-18-2014, 02:19 PM   #296

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by THOMASJU View Post
Hey Frederick...Were those units measured in a campground with food, clothing, etc. aboard ?? I had my "new Compact Jr" weighed totally empty, last winter at two different commercial scales and each weighing was exactly the same....1240#. Is there some kind of a comparison that I can make between my empty weight and your chart ?? Thanx, TJ
TJ, as Robin suggests Frederick weights the trailers on arrival at trailer meets. So they would be loaded up for camping but I do know that at one of meets where he did a great many on the list it was a full service campground so its doubtful that many had much if any water in their tanks.

A good rule of thumb is to add about 500lbs to your dry weight to cover the weight of your own "stuff" - food, clothing, bedding, cook wear, dishes, hoses, cords etc.... that number may seem high but for many that have actually weighed everything they put in their trailers its actually on the low side....

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:19 AM   #297

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Oswego, NY
Registry
Steve LaBroad provided some additions to the "Trailers in the Real World" spreadsheet that let you filter the columns for manufacturer, length, model, etc and provides averages, maximum/minimum, etc. Use the up/down arrows in the headers of each column to choose, and the result appears at the bottom.

The excel spreadsheet can be downloaded at http://lakeshoreimages.com/spreadsheets/Weight.xls
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:16 PM   #298

Name: Connie
Trailer: 1995 16' Scamp Deluxe
Washington
What a production to do this weighing in! Have never made it to one of the rallys but eventually I will. Thanks for listing all this info-it's a treasure!
Old 04-11-2015, 10:25 AM   #299

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1974 13 ft
Florida
Frederick, I haven't read the whole string, so please forgive me if this is already mentioned. I am planning on attending rallies after fall of 2015. Do you know which ones you will be at? I would love to add my Boler to the list. Thanks.

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 04-11-2015, 10:49 AM   #300

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
You can also do it yourself at a truck stop, waste disposal site, or any place that has a certified auto & truck scale. Many provide public access, usually for a small fee. You can do two weighings- hitched, axle only, and unhitched, total trailer weight- or you can do one weighing- typically axle weight while hitched- and measure the tongue weight at home using a bathroom scale.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:12 PM   #301

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa in FL View Post
Do you know which ones you will be at? I would love to add my Boler to the list.
Unfortunately I no longer conduct the weigh-ins at rallys. I don't have access to my employer's portable wheel weigher scales anymore. I wish I could afford my own pair.
Wheel Weigher Scales
Even being able to get them at wholesale, they would still cost me $1,000 each.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:25 PM   #302

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1974 13 ft
Florida
Thanks for all the work you've done. I hope to get to meet you sometime at a rally. Hopefully I'll have a weight to add to your list.

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 04-15-2015, 10:38 AM   #303

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2002 BigFoot 17'
SW Virginia
My 2002 17' Bigfoot had 3100lb axle weight and 410 tongue weight, loaded for travel, but tanks empty.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:17 PM   #304

Name: jack
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500B175FB
Virginia
My 2014 Bigfoot 17.5 FB was loaded for camping but with a full water tank ( 30 gal), which is located in the front of the trailer. This accounts in part for the 500 lb tongue weight.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:10 PM   #305

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13'
Oklahoma
Registry
I have no idea what my gutted 1978 Scamp 13" weighs...but it must be very light.

Because two nights ago we had a strong wind pass thru...and the end of my Scamp was pushed about 2 feet to the side!

Bill
Old 07-17-2015, 03:22 PM   #306

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Trailer Weights in the Real World

Whoa!!! It must be light trailer or your winds might have been a small tornado! I had mine slip like that but it was due to the plastic pads on a concrete campsite. I had used the leveler pads on one wheel and put a pad under the Jack plate too. The leveler pads acted like a nice down hill slope for one tire and the steel plate on the Jack just slid on the plastic pad! The other wheel on the Casita was chocked. The Casita took my wife and I for a nice spin! Now I use wood.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-17-2015, 03:31 PM   #307

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13'
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez View Post
Whoa!!! It must be light trailer or your winds might have been a small tornado! I had mine slip like that but it was due to the plastic pads on a concrete campsite. I had used the leveler pads on one wheel and put a pad under the Jack plate too. The leveler pads acted like a nice down hill slope for one tire and the steel plate on the Jack just slid on the plastic pad! The other wheel on the Casita was chocked. The Casita took my wife and I for a nice spin! Now I use wood.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
I have no idea how strong the wind might have been. However strong, my wife and I slept through out the night not knowing there was a storm.

The rear levelers were not touching the pavement.

Bill
Old 07-23-2015, 10:35 AM   #308

Name: Michael
Trailer: Looking
Illinois
Thanks to all who participated in this thread and the making of the table. Just a fantastic resource for the community. As a noob I just can't say how helpful this is. Thanks.

Tags
weighing, weight