Trailer Weights in the Real World - Page 23 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-15-2015, 10:32 AM   #309

Name: Linda
Trailer: Coleman Quicksilver
Arizona
I just found this list and can't thank you enough. I just looked up the trailers from your list that my Subaru can pull and found the Weis Ponderosa. It may be the answer to our camping prayers. Thank you so much! (and they're just up the road - bonus!)

Old 08-15-2015, 12:01 PM   #310

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Welcome to the forum.

We have the base model Little Joe; no shower but do have a porta potti. It's great for my wife and I. We currently use the campground showers or do the naval shower thing. I am considering using a 17 X 21 in commercial buss pan as a shower base and hanging a shower curtain from hooks velcroed tot the rat fur on the ceiling. Water would be from a one gallon pump sprayer heated by El Sol.

Be aware that you will be giving up bed space for the shower and the built in toilet, and the floor plan is less flexible. I have never seen the Ponderosa, but it appears that you will be giving up storage space as well. Of course, that depends on how far you go into optional equipment; microwave, furnace, water heater, etc.

I hope you are close enough to go see them before you buy and make comparisons.

When the Little Joe is set up for the night, there is only a 2 x 2 foot floor space. With the toilet tucked under the bed in the aisle, you can pull it out into the open floor area at night. Also, one of us can get up while the other is still sleeping and make coffee, as the stove is in the back corner in front of the open floor.

They are well built trailers and are great for experienced campers who want to keep it simple.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:35 PM   #311

Arizona
Thank you, although we're in AZ and they are in CO - it's not that far and we can always go fishing on the way.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:36 PM   #312

Arizona
I forgot to ask, since you drive a Subaru, had you considered a Scamp?
Old 08-15-2015, 02:37 PM   #313

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Yes, I did look at Scamp 13s. However, if you look at the Trailer Weights spreadsheet, though the weights are certainly within the towing capabilities of my Outback, 2700lbs with trailer brakes, the tongue weight is over the 200 lbs max specified by Subaru.

Since I use my propane primarily for refrigeration and making coffee in the morning I have changed the 20 lb tank to an 11 lb tank. This lowers my tongue weigh directly, and also allows that weight to be carried farther back on the tongue, further reducing the load. Currently loaded, ready to roll, the trailer scales out at 1760 lb, with a 180 lb tongue weight.

Which Subaru are you driving?

By the way, that Ponderosa has the 30 gal (250lb )water tank in the front of the trailer, as opposed to the Little Joe, which has the water tank, about 6.5 gal, mounted under the sink to the left of the door. The front tank placement may make it difficult to achieve the 200 lb tongue weight. You will see comments on this site about 13 ft Scamps and Casitas with the front bath being nose heavy. Also, when you go to or call Weiscraft, ask where that 30 gallon tank is located. If internal, there goes more storage area. The placement of appliances in the Ponderosa is still slightly behind the axle and probably neutral relative to tongue weight.

Of course you could always run with the tank near empty and fill it up when you get to the campground but that will depend on where and how you camp.

One further note regarding tongue weight. Subaru recommends against the use of a weight distribution hitch.(WDH)
Old 08-15-2015, 04:57 PM   #314

Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
One further note regarding tongue weight. Subaru recommends against the use of a weight distribution hitch.(WDH)
When I look under my 2015 Outback I can see why. The steel of the "frame" beams where my hitch attaches looks pretty thin. The hitch manufacturer compensated for this by lenthening the distance between the attachment points. Still a weight distributing hitch applies lots more force to the tow vehicle frame. This could lead to bolts pulling thru the sheet metal frame. This would create a less than ideal towing experience and perhaps ruin your whole day depending on your insurance coverage and how attached you are to your now detached trailer.

I have a conventional hitch but still ask to look under there at each oil change just to reassure myself that all is well. At 15k towing miles it looks jim dandy. Also, I work hard to keep my front bath 13' Scamp's hitch weight at or below 200 pounds.

John
Old 11-22-2015, 10:54 PM   #315

Name: Maxine
Trailer: Trillium 1300
California
Trillium 1300 weight

Hi Frederick,

I don't know how accurate a roadside weigh station is, but I found a self-weigh in Oregon and so tried it out. My 1971 Trillium 1300 weighed in at 1200 lbs with all of my gear in it and an 11 lb propane tank on the tongue.

Maxine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
This list is now complete.
While I may be computer literate, I am not totally computer fluent.
I have this data in an excel spreadsheet, and when I cut-and-pasted it here, I lost the column structure of excel.

I work so hard here because I am passionate about this subject.
This must be MY hobby.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:24 AM   #316

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I was on rural roads in OR last MAY and hit three of those roadside self check stations on the same day and found a 600+ lbs range when weighing the axle on my Hunter. That's almost a 50% error.....
Old 11-23-2015, 08:58 AM   #317

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2002 BigFoot 17'
SW Virginia
It only cost me $10 to weigh my trailer on a CAT scale at a Pilot last year. Well worth it and I would expect a lot more reliable.

Walt
Old 11-24-2015, 10:06 PM   #318

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
I just weighed my 1979 13' scamp with front bunks at a certified scale (needed for titling) unhooked and everything. It contained 1 full propane tank, 2 large camp chairs, a saucepan and heavy large skillet, a full set of melamine dishes, silverware for three, two Jack stands, and a heavy ceramic percolating coffee pot PLUS a window a/c, fridge, and heater and spare tire. 1360#

I expect to end up around #1500 once we remove the Ac and add food and clothes and fill the water tank.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:18 PM   #319

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Oswego, NY
Registry
I don't know how much updating is being done of Frederick's list here at the Fiberglass RV forum, but with his permission I have an Excel spreadsheet that can be downloaded here that I have been updating as individuals send me their weights.

Steve LaBroad added a filter that lets you find the average tongue, axle & overall weight for any group of trailers.

I'd appreciate for anyone with new data to email it to me at vermilye@oswego.edu & I'll add it to the list.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:57 PM   #320

Name: Kathleen (Kai in Seattle)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973
Washington
Registry
Anyone have a weight on an amerigo FG-16? PO claimed it was 1300; that cannot e right.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:59 AM   #321

Name: Henry
Trailer: Intend to buy one day.
Florida
Make the information available to all in an online spreadsheet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
This list is now complete. While I may be computer literate, I am not totally computer fluent. I have this data in an excel spreadsheet, and when I cut-and-pasted it here, I lost the column structure of excel.
Wonderful work, Frederick! It's a gift that keeps on giving for everyone, even now 6 years later! Have you considered putting your Excel spreadsheet in an online Google spreadsheet, where it would retain its original formatting and be accessible to all? (Or has this already been done and I don't know about it?) Would very very easy to do!
Old 04-17-2016, 10:04 AM   #322

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Smith View Post
Wonderful work, Frederick! It's a gift that keeps on giving for everyone, even now 6 years later! Have you considered putting your Excel spreadsheet in an online Google spreadsheet, where it would retain its original formatting and be accessible to all? (Or has this already been done and I don't know about it?) Would very very easy to do!
It has. Jon Vermilye maintains it (at least I think he still does). The link is in post #297. I believe you can e-mail or message him with your loaded trailer weight and he will add it to the data, although not many people seem to be doing that lately.

I agree- this is a fantastic resource!

Tags
weighing, weight