Trailer Weights in the Real World - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2011, 11:43 AM   #41

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
WD hitch and tongue weight for regular hitch goes on to the tow vehicle weight not trailer in Canada you say

Know of no law stating a minimum weight or % for tongue weight on MTO or any other government sight.
It seems to be what ever pulls ok? is ok; still above statement helps the trailer at the scales.
In the end it is the ride that maters most as we have to be safe.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:02 PM   #42

Trailer: 2010 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Registry
Thanks Frederick!

I've had Frederick weigh my rig two times, now. He is fast, efficient and non-intrusive. It is a great service for us in the fiberglass egg community, and the price is right! I, for one, appreciate his dedication to helping us stay safe and "balanced" - pun intended! I know I made some cargo storage changes based on his numbers. Thanks, Frederick!
WtMtJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #43

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
20 lb. Propane tanks are 38 lbs. full X 2 = 76 lbs. of total tongue weight and my water is just in front of axle and Grey just behind axle. With cushions, water, propane, microwave in front on floor, TV, barbecue and other items in front empty black water tank I can still pick up the tongue on the boler and walk with it? Yet it pulls well with no wag? Will the tongue sometime this weekend to find out the real tongue weight.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:10 PM   #44

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile T1300

I find it interesting that the 13' Trilliium in this list weighs the same as ours did at Quartzsite this past Feb.

Thanks, Fred, for helping us get a weigh.

I had weighed Homelet once before, (1700#) but then I did not have it loaded for the road, as it were. Since then, I added the second tongue jack which must have added to the tongue weight.

I am now trying to think of how to shift some interior weight behind the axle.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #45

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
Could they have been Escape fifth wheels? The trailer model isn't listed and both the 5.0 and 19 models are the same length, 19.5 feet. The 5th wheel's heavier.
I have edited my #1 post to reflect this:

Escape 19.5 foot Fifth Wheel = Escape 5.0
Escape 19.5 foot Travel Trailer = Escape Dual Axle

I hope this helps.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #46

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
I use this post a lot to link newbies looking to stay within their tow capacity. I only wished it could be come a sticky!
I think that is a good idea. I "stuck" it.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #47

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We were able to weigh our 19' Escape on the weekend. The tongue was weighed with a Sherline tongue weight scale and we got our axle weight at a highway scale (we actually drove it over a 2nd highway scale to verify the weight). Our tongue weight was 450 lbs and our axle weight was 3305 lbs resulting in total weight of 3755 lbs. Both gray and black tanks were empty, the hot water tank was full, and the fresh water tank was about 1/3 full. Very surprising result as both my wife and I thought we were traveling light.
Mike Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:57 AM   #48

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Morrison View Post
We were able to weigh our 19' Escape on the weekend. Our tongue weight was 450 lbs and our axle weight was 3305 lbs resulting in total weight of 3755 lbs.
..........!!!!YIKES!!!!..........

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #49

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Morrison View Post
We were able to weigh our 19' Escape on the weekend. The tongue was weighed with a Sherline tongue weight scale and we got our axle weight at a highway scale (we actually drove it over a 2nd highway scale to verify the weight). Our tongue weight was 450 lbs and our axle weight was 3305 lbs resulting in total weight of 3755 lbs. Both gray and black tanks were empty, the hot water tank was full, and the fresh water tank was about 1/3 full. Very surprising result as both my wife and I thought we were traveling light.
Mike, we have nearly the same weights for our 19' Escape with tanks the same and we think we travel a little heavy. I do have to try to bring our tongue wt. up to 380# where I like to have it.
Jack of Tucson
Jack Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #50

Registry
I have some friends considering this 19ft Escape- is it the same trailer?
If so, where do you think the additional 1200 lbs. came from?

Thanks!

Francesca

19 Foot Escape Specifications
Total length 19'-6"
Body length 15'-8"
Total height 8'-6"
Exterior width 7'
Approx. Dry hitch weight 256 lbs
Approx. Dry axle weight 2254 lbs
Approx. Total dry weight 2510 lbs

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating 4000 lbs
Front bed / dinette 44" X 80"
Rear bed / dinette 60" X 80"
Interior height 6'-5"
Bathroom size 40"w x 26"d x 72"h
Old 04-26-2011, 02:25 PM   #51

Our trailer is very well loaded when we travel, food for a week, wine for a week, pots and dishes to feed an army, clothing for all weather conditions, chairs, tableS, out door lights, boxes of extra might need items, decorations to make it more home like, screened in room (love it), rugs, grass, etc., etc. We used to be able to travel with four of us in a VW rabbit and a 13' scamp or be gone for weeks on two motorcycles and only take what we carried, I don't know what happened. It's a good thing our tow vehicle is up to the challenge.
Jack of Tucson
Old 04-26-2011, 03:20 PM   #52

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Jack, we thought we were traveling light. Apparently we were wrong and we carry most of our outdoor stuff in the back of my truck. Looking at our weight, if we had our black and gray tanks full, we probably would have been overweight. Do you have dual 6V batteries and an air conditioner?

Francesca, that is the same trailer. I don't believe dry weights include things like propane tanks, batteries ... bare bones trailer without options. I am not even sure it the spare tire is included. Adding 2 6 volt batteries and a couple of 20 lb propane tanks adds about 200 lbs. Apparently the air conditioner adds about another 90 lbs. Add about 100 lbs of fresh water we had in the hot water tank and fresh water tank and that accounts for almost 400 of our 1200 "additional" lbs. It is really surprising how fast it all adds up.

It would be interesting to see what the trailer weighs with all the options we have but with nothing in it. "Empty" weight vs "dry" weight.
Mike Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #53

Mike, we have the single 12 volt battery, AC, Micro, stainless kitchen, and the new box on the tongue, it really does add up but we are very comfortable with all of the extras and can be away from home for a longer period of time. We carry the honda gen. and two fold up bikes in the back of our Jeep Cherokee, all the comforts of home.
Jack
Old 04-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #54

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Allen View Post
Our trailer is very well loaded when we travel, food for a week, wine for a week, pots and dishes to feed an army, clothing for all weather conditions, chairs, tableS, out door lights, boxes of extra might need items, decorations to make it more home like, screened in room (love it), rugs, grass,etc. It's a good thing our tow vehicle is up to the challenge.
Jack of Tucson
Baled?
That could explain it...

Francesca
Old 04-26-2011, 03:46 PM   #55

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
The Mfg's tag on our 5.0's axle quotes 3500#s max. cap. not including wheels and tires. Is the hitch weight over and above the axle weight?
Hi Alf,

To answer your (somewhat old) question, Escape's website now lists the GVWR for the 5.0 as 4400 lb. Presumably, that's 3500 on the axle and 900 on the pin. Reace has told me that typical pin weight is around 700, which agrees perfectly with the 5.0 Fredrick weighed (680).

Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #56

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

19 Foot Escape Specifications
Total length 19'-6"
Body length 15'-8"
Total height 8'-6"
Exterior width 7'
Approx. Dry hitch weight 256 lbs
Approx. Dry axle weight 2254 lbs
Approx. Total dry weight 2510 lbs

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating 4000 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
Hi Alf,

To answer your (somewhat old) question, Escape's website now lists the GVWR for the 5.0 as 4400 lb. Presumably, that's 3500 on the axle and 900 on the pin. Reace has told me that typical pin weight is around 700, which agrees perfectly with the 5.0 Fredrick weighed (680).

Marv
Is the "5.0" the 19 ft. Escape?
If so, it's gained 400 GVWR lbs since I cut-and-pasted the above numbers off Escape's website at 12:45 today...???

Francesca
Old 04-26-2011, 04:17 PM   #57

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Hehe Mike was that before our after we had Easter dinnner and where you standing in it???

As discussed the other night it is suprising sometimes what we think is a little bit of stuff and what it actually all adds up to weight wise. Thus the reason as you know some of us are holding strong to the one bin limit and do a complete trailer clean out at the end of the year. An Imperial gallon is 10lbs so that could account for about 120lbs of the weight based on what you have indicated you where carrying (12 gallons?) What do the two batteries weigh - 60lbs each? and the two propane tanks? Empty they come in at about 18lbs each add another 18 to each if full. Even if one was empty with the water, batteries and propane tanks alone that would add about 300lbs to the dry weight - that doesn't count your bq, chairs, clothing, hoses and food and cook wear and what ever else you have hidden in the fridge and cooler. ;-) What options do you have on the trailer that would not have been included in the dry weight? Microwave? Is the spare tire included in the dry weight? Was the equilizer hitch on the trailer when you weighed it?

Good news is it sure looks like having the 2 propane and 2 batteries on the tongue are working to keep that going in the right direction.

Glad I was out for the weigh in as I may have also had a suprise in regards to the weight of jello!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #58

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
If so, it's gained 400 GVWR lbs since I cut-and-pasted the above numbers off Escape's website at 12:45 today...???

Francesca
Nope its a different trailer model
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #59

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
The one they call the 19 ft Escape is their two-axle bumper-pull model. The 5.0 is their fifth-wheel (also 19 feet).
Marv

Oops, sorry! I didn't realize Carol already answered.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #60

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Thank you and a suggestion

Frederick, thanks for all your work in this regard.

I would like to make a small suggestion: Number the entries, then as we discuss them, we can refer to them by number. Of course, if you then add lines, the numbers will change. Hmm.

Did you include the weights taken at Quartzsite this February?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weighing, weight