Trailer Weights in the Real World - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-01-2010, 11:48 PM   #29

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Unhappy No Trilliums Weighed?

We weighed our 2009 Trillium 1300 at a scale at a nearby coal company. The lady was going to charge $5, but when I told her that I didn't need a certified copy, I just wanted to measure for my own information, she said, "Well, I'll turn on the outside display and you can measure what you want. No charge."
I wish I had written the information down, but the trailer with the tongue on the scale only attached to the TV by the safety chains yielded 1750#. We didn't have a lot of stuff on board, so I hope when I am packed for the road, it is below the 2000# capacity of our Subaru Outback.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #30

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Will have to get to a scale when mods done

When tested will have propane tanks full and water full with gear just to get the real weight. The Dry weight is just not the full deal thanks for the info.
Borden

Old 02-13-2011, 09:33 PM   #31

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
No Trilliums weighed?
I found additional paperwork from the 2010 Lake Casitas weigh-in, plus kept some from the just completed Quartzsite trip...

I added 10 trailers to the list in post #1. Including 2 Trillium!
Old 02-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #32

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Thanks Frederick for the update. I use this post a lot to link newbies looking to stay within their tow capacity.

I only wished it could be come a sticky! Not the whole post, but certainly your weight in results.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:27 PM   #33

Name: Matt
Trailer: U-Haul VT16, Escape 19
California
Registry
Watch your tongue!

This is valuable information! I had a couple of observations.

1. It looks like several of the trailers are light on the tongue, some significantly (see attachment)

Are there different rules for fifth wheel hitch weight ratios?

2. I wasn't able to confirm whether the Escapes were the Travel Trailer (19) or Fifth Wheel (5.0) configuration. Only one had a designation.

3. I think it would be great to capture the manufactured year as weights have tended to increase over a production lifecycle.

Regards,

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Underweight Trailer Tongue.png  
Old 02-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #34

Name: Dave (AKA John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std
Georgia
Registry
Matt,
Only about half of those listed are considered light on the tongue for a Subaru. My Subaru manual states 8% - 11% tongue weight.
They would all be light based on my Dodge pickup recommendation of 10% - 15%.
Sure seems ironic that my Scamp properly set up to be towed by my relatively light weight Subaru could be considered "too light on the tongue" when towed by my beefier Dodge pickup!
Old 02-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #35

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
I had a couple of observations.

2. I wasn't able to confirm whether the Escapes were the Travel Trailer (19) or Fifth Wheel (5.0) configuration. Only one had a designation.

3. I think it would be great to capture the manufactured year as weights have tended to increase over a production lifecycle.
#2. Scamp doesn't designate their "goose-neck" 19 foot trailer as a "5th wheel". Their official designation is the Scamp 19.

Escape designates their 5th wheel so and calls it a "5.0" while their conventional hitch is known as the Escape 19.
So in my chart, the conventional Escape 19 is the TT (for Travel Trailer).

BTW, since Fiber Stream made only one model, the data I have called it either just "Fiber Stream" or "Fiber Stream 16".

#3. I'll have to look to see if I kept the papers from the weigh-ins; they list the year.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:14 PM   #36

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggerty View Post
Matt,
Only about half of those listed are considered light on the tongue for a Subaru. My Subaru manual states 8% - 11% tongue weight.
Matt I have to agree with John on this one. Have a hunch the Scamp you show on your list at just under 10% on the tongue may be mine and its being pulled by a Subaru. So it is not light on the tongue - actually well within Subaru's specs. I have hauled that trailer thousands of miles with the Subaru and have not had any wag issues - including in serious wind and snow storms.

Just a quess on my part but the lower % tongue weight requirement by Subaru *may* be due to the All Wheel drive set up and the fact the Subaru is lower to the ground than many other SUV's or pick ups which results in different traction and airodynamics.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #37

Name: Mike
Trailer: Arctic Fox 22G
British Columbia
Frederick, this is great information. We haven't had an opportunity to have our 19' Escape weighed yet and I was a bit surprised to see 3 of the 4 you weighed to be in the 3800# - 3900# range. Out of curiosity, I checked the decal on ours today and found out the GVWR of our trailer is 1818 kg (approx.4008#). It's going to make me more diligent in how we load our trailer, have ours weighed once we get it mobilized for the season and pay attention to what the weights are. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2011, 11:39 PM   #38

Name: Matt
Trailer: U-Haul VT16, Escape 19
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Morrison View Post
Frederick, this is great information. We haven't had an opportunity to have our 19' Escape weighed yet and I was a bit surprised to see 3 of the 4 you weighed to be in the 3800# - 3900# range. Out of curiosity, I checked the decal on ours today and found out the GVWR of our trailer is 1818 kg (approx.4008#). It's going to make me more diligent in how we load our trailer, have ours weighed once we get it mobilized for the season and pay attention to what the weights are. Thanks!
Could they have been Escape fifth wheels? The trailer model isn't listed and both the 5.0 and 19 models are the same length, 19.5 feet. The 5th wheel's heavier.

Regards,

Matt
Old 02-24-2011, 01:51 AM   #39

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Frederick L. Simson... This may be a redundant question...BUT!!! The Mfg's tag on our 5.0's axle quotes 3500#s max. cap. not including wheels and tires. Is the hitch weight over and above the axle weight???
I've lost 33 lbs so far... so, using budget reduction formula, it'll really help our GCVWR
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 02-24-2011, 09:49 PM   #40

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Though it takes two trips, you can get your rigs weighed at any landfill that charges by weight.
One trip, tow vehicle only; one trip, vehicle and trailer: Go home and do the math.
Accurate and free!
Old 02-25-2011, 11:43 AM   #41

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
WD hitch and tongue weight for regular hitch goes on to the tow vehicle weight not trailer in Canada you say

Know of no law stating a minimum weight or % for tongue weight on MTO or any other government sight.
It seems to be what ever pulls ok? is ok; still above statement helps the trailer at the scales.
In the end it is the ride that maters most as we have to be safe.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:02 PM   #42

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2010 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Registry
Thanks Frederick!

I've had Frederick weigh my rig two times, now. He is fast, efficient and non-intrusive. It is a great service for us in the fiberglass egg community, and the price is right! I, for one, appreciate his dedication to helping us stay safe and "balanced" - pun intended! I know I made some cargo storage changes based on his numbers. Thanks, Frederick!

Tags
weighing, weight