Trailer Weights in the Real World - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #81

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Frederick L Simson... Just got back from Agri Mart scales.
8500#s GCVW...full tank of gas + driver
3640#s GTW... 2 20# Propane tanks+ 20gal. fresh+ 6gal. hot water full.
2860#s Axle Wt. No food or beer in the fridge.
4 bag chairs, ext. table, 2 0gravity chairs, etc.
Should I go ahead and buy some "Slim Fast"?
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #82

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Just got back from Agri Mart scales.

3640#s GTW... 2 20# Propane tanks+ 20gal. fresh+ 6gal. hot water full.
2860#s Axle Wt. No food or beer in the fridge.
Should I go ahead and buy some "Slim Fast"?
3640 - 2860 = 780# pin weight
Alf compared to ITEM 92:
ITEM_LENGTH_MAKE_______MODEL________AXLE_TONGUE___ TOTAL
92___19______Escape______5.0__________3220____680_ ___3900
Alf___19______Escape______5.0__________2860____780 ____3640
I think you need more Beer in the fridge!
Old 06-08-2011, 04:52 AM   #83

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Fredrick L Simson... So much for the DIET!!! I'll work on the balance test though.
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #84

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

Hi Frederick,

I had a chance to weigh my 15 foot 1980 Trillium 4500 last night on a commercial truck scale while coming home from a trip. It came in at 820 kilograms, 1804 pounds, plus 170 pounds for the hitch weight. This was fully loaded for camping, with one propane tank, one battery, marine-grade solar panel in a frame (about 50 pounds), spare tire, two camp stoves, food, furniture, setup and levelling stuff and everything else needed for camping. We have the original fridge, furnace and stove, and the original fibreglass cabinetry. At a guess I would say that I had about 350 - 400 pounds of stuff above the “dry” weight, but no water in the water tank. This was about 130 Kg more than our similarly loaded Boler last year on the same scale, not bad for the extra 2 feet in the Trillium.

Later,
Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:26 PM   #85

Registry
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
It came in at ... 1804 pounds, plus 170 pounds for the hitch weight. This was fully loaded for camping
1974 pounds total weight for a Trillium 4500?
I need to learn how to pack from you!
Old 06-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #86

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
1974 pounds total weight for a Trillium 4500?
I need to learn how to pack from you!
Actually, I thought we carried quite a bit of stuff, although apparently not as much as some people. The trailer has two jacks on the hitch, and the two rear storage compartments were stuffed full, since I added outside access doors for them a month or so ago. I do try to make everything as light weight as possible, and also to balance the tongue weight. The Trillium has double-wall construction on the inside and much sturdier fibreglass furnishings (kitchen counter, closet and seats) than our previous Boler, which would add some weight. The very heavy original dinette tables (front and rear) also added some weight, and I might look for lighter alternatives when I am seeking my next project. However, overall I was quite pleased with the weight and towing of the trailer, since this was the first time we had it out camping after buying it last winter.
Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #87

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Another follower of the Rick Method.

Like Rick, we try to pack lightly as well, trying to be minimalistic for our 7 month adventures. As my niece tells me she survived happily for 6 weeks living out of her back pack in Europe. If we don't use it during our 7 months of travel, we don't bring it next time (Rule does not apply to tools).

We exclude coolers, tents, shade rooms, fire pits, generators, microwave oven and air conditioner from our list of necessities. We've developed guidelines for clothing and shoes, for my shoes it's a pair of sneakers and a pair of Keens (Keens can go on a hike or to church with ease.)

(Keen plug. while climbing on some seaside fossil rocks I slipped and cracked a rib wearing a good pair of sneakers. My son replaced the sneakers with some sticky soled Keens that I wear virtually every day.)

We've survived nicely with two pots and two frying pans (and are considering adding a bakepacker.) All our dishes and glasses are plastic. We carry only four forks, knives and spoons, primarily because that's more than we need and enough for dinner for four. We have no mixers, choppers or blenders. Most amazingly we never seem to miss what are household neccesities at home.

As to construction, we try to keep it light, using mosty 1/4" birch plywood and pine 1x3s. As Rick G's considering, we replaced our pressboard table with pine. Weighing less makes it easier to handle. As well we've converted our bed/dinette table into a folding table making it even easier to handle.

Safe Travels

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:21 PM   #88

Trailer: 2007 Casita
When did they make this a sticky?

Bravo!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:14 AM   #89

Registry
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
When did they make this a sticky?
Post #46 on page 4.

The new 2011 data has been incorporated into the spreadsheet. Now with 94 individual Trailers represented, some have been weighed and reported multiple times.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:41 AM   #90

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Number 26 & 29 are the same trailer weighed twice.

Great job once again Frederick!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:36 AM   #91

Registry
Carol
Old 08-14-2011, 12:12 PM   #92

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Great weight info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Sorted 1st by TOTAL, 2nd by TONGUE, and 3rd by Length

ITEM_LENGTH_MAKE_______MODEL________AXLE__TONGUE__ __TOTAL

11___13_____Scamp___________________1420_____200__ __1620

13___13_____Scamp______Standard_____1480_____240__ __1720

18___13_____Scamp______Standard_____1720_____230__ __1950

THANK YOU! This is the best info I have seen thus far on weights, though, I am a little disillusioned with the heavy weights I see listed for the 13' Scamp. I plan on purchasing a 13' Scamp equipped with no holding tanks, an ice box rather than a refrigerator, no furnace or air conditioner, a front dinette, and all the extra cabinets. With your experience on this subject, do you have an educated estimate on what my total dry weight might be?
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:01 PM   #93

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Scamp 13 Feedback

I can provide some feedback on the 13 foot Scamp listed as #13. It belongs to my son and I modified it for him. It differs from the standard Scamp in that it has a second battery on the hitch, making the hitch 60#s heavier than you might imagine.

The front couch has been converted to a two person dinette. One dinette seat has an inverter and converter under the seat. Both seats also have drawers under them. Between the two dinettes there is a 2x2 foot table. WHere the back of the couch connected to the wall has been converted to a shelf. A storage shelf is also located over the now front dinette.

The ice box has been removed and a dorm style AC fridge installed. Next to the fridge and under the sink 4 sliding drawers have been installed.

The rear dinette has been converted into a permanent bed with a piece of plywood replacing the table. The cushions are now covered by a 5" thick matress. Above the former dinette, now bed is a full width overhead cabinete with doors. In the right rear corder is a small wooden shelf for the TV.

Under the bed is are two four foot long drawers for clothing storage.

The hanging closet has been fully shelved.

The weight includes everything necessary for two adults at the Bandon Fiberglass Rally.

My son easily tows his 1977 Scamp 13 with a 4 cylinder Honda Accord.

If you were going for minimum weight, many of these improvements could be removed, the second battery and the fridge being the heaviest.

Hope this adds a little insight.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #94

Registry
Exclamation To tell the truth, I don't even know MY dry weight now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
I am a little disillusioned with the heavy weights I see listed for the 13' Scamp... With your experience on this subject, do you have an educated estimate on what my total dry weight might be?
I wouldn't want you to be comparing apples to oranges: None of the weights in this spread sheet are dry weights. These are all fully loaded weights, in towing-down-the-road-packed-for-vacation condition. I have no clue what any of these rigs' "dry weights" are, which I consider an irrelevant number.

Take for example my own 16' Fiber Stream. Back in 2006 I posted that I determined it's DRY weight to be 2000 pounds and not the 1700 pounds advertized. Then I weighed it again loaded with all my "Stuff" and it was 2620 pounds.

Fast forward 5 years. In the mean time I have modified the trailer a lot, the most significant modification being doubling up my frame to correct a skimpy under-engineered 1" x 2" box channel frame from the manufacturer. That had to increase the "dry weight". I carry a second group-27 deep cycle battery, replacing the small extra 20 amp-hour one I had before. I've built a shelving system into the closet. I've added an Air Conditioner. I'm sure there's other stuff I've forgotten about. On the way home from the Oregon Gathering in July, I weighed the trailer again which is now a stout 3250 pounds fully loaded. THIS is the weight my 2003 Honda Odyssey has to lug around everywhere I go.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:11 PM   #95

Registry
One more trailer weighed is added to the list in post #1

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post264909

This is item #44.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:43 AM   #96

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh

THANK YOU! This is the best info I have seen thus far on weights, though, I am a little disillusioned with the heavy weights I see listed for the 13' Scamp. I plan on purchasing a 13' Scamp equipped with no holding tanks, an ice box rather than a refrigerator, no furnace or air conditioner, a front dinette, and all the extra cabinets. With your experience on this subject, do you have an educated estimate on what my total dry weight might be?
Bill, my '84 Scamp 13 weighs about 1,200 pounds dry. Now, when I measured it, there was a nearly full propane tank on the tongue, but no battery. I removed the dead battery when I bought the Scamp and have replaced it with a jump pack, which is kept under the dinette seat. This helped me reduce overall weight, but especially tongue weight. The tongue was about 185 pounds. Now it is closer to 130-140 pounds, depending on how I load it up. It tows much better with the lower tongue weight.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #97

Name: carrie
Trailer: 83 Burro (for sale)
Iowa
13' Trillium - 1977

We're considering purchasing a 1977 13' Trillium. Much of the literature said it's less than 1000 lb, so we thought it'd be ideal for our needs. After reading this forum, I'm scared that we'll never find a good trailer at an acceptable weight. We have a 2005 Pontiac Vibe (aka Toyota matrix) with a towing capacity of 1500. Lightweight trailers are so rare around here, but we don't want to get a different car just to tow a trailer a few weekends/year. The trailer is about two hours away, so it's not like we could swing by and get it weighed ourselves. I'm getting so frustrated with this search. If we can't get some good answers, I fear we'll have to suffer in a teensy teardrop, and I do NOT want to do that!
radloffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by radloffc View Post
We're considering purchasing a 1977 13' Trillium. Much of the literature said it's less than 1000 lb, so we thought it'd be ideal for our needs. After reading this forum, I'm scared that we'll never find a good trailer at an acceptable weight. We have a 2005 Pontiac Vibe (aka Toyota matrix) with a towing capacity of 1500. Lightweight trailers are so rare around here, but we don't want to get a different car just to tow a trailer a few weekends/year. The trailer is about two hours away, so it's not like we could swing by and get it weighed ourselves. I'm getting so frustrated with this search. If we can't get some good answers, I fear we'll have to suffer in a teensy teardrop, and I do NOT want to do that!

First, Welcome to the forum............. Your smart to question, though others will tell you they do it, you should be able to. It's not something I would advise. Your very smart to study before hand. Unfortunately it does take weighting the trailer to know the true weight. Could you ask the seller if they would have it weighted? It's a minimal cost, so perhaps offering to pay half just so you know.

Not only do you have to consider the weight of the trailer, you have to consider how your vehicles tow capacity works. Understanding it as well will help you find the perfect trailer. First off, the more passengers in a vehicle the less you can tow ( check your owners manual) . Then all your gear, food, etc adds to the weight. Gotta remember even a little ice chest loaded with beer and ice weights a lot.

Find out what your vehicles tow parameters are first so you know exactly what you need to find. Example are you a family of 4? A couple with a 150 pound dog? Or just a couple whom can camp with out having to take everything from home with you?

Good Luck on your search, let us know your parameters and hopefully we can guide you to a perfect type of trailer to search for. Again, Welcome!
Old 08-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #99

Name: carrie
Trailer: 83 Burro (for sale)
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
First, Welcome to the forum............. Your smart to question, though others will tell you they do it, you should be able to. It's not something I would advise. Your very smart to study before hand.
Thanks for the reply! We would be the latter... just a couple who wants to travel the midwest a few days at a time. We've been to Europe for a week with just carry-ons, so I'd hope would could manage the same in a trailer! Our problem may be that we enjoy micro/craft beers, so we could easily come home with a case or two.

Unfortunately, Chad eliminated the 77 Trillium based on the weight issue and age. Now I'm trying to steer him towards a 2004 Tab about seven hours north of us (no one sells little trailers close to us!!) that's rated about 1300. It also costs twice what the Trillium does, so....

I'm curious about trailer brakes (do many trailers come with them already? can those be added by a good DIYer? how much weight do they add on their own?) and transmission coolers (again, can a person who has brought many a car back from the dead install this himself?). I know this doesn't *increase* towing capacity, but they make the vehicle "suffer" less, correct? Anyone have any thoughts on return on investment for these items??

Thanks again... We've learned so much from this forum... We appreciate the expertise provided here!

~carrie
radloffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by radloffc View Post
T

I'm curious about trailer brakes (do many trailers come with them already?

Yes....

can those be added by a good DIYer?

I believe so!

how much weight do they add on their own?) and transmission coolers (again, can a person who has brought many a car back from the dead install this himself?). I know this doesn't *increase* towing capacity, but they make the vehicle "suffer" less, correct?

As for how much weight a brakes add? Hmmmmm, not a clue . I think if your DH is handy enough to resurrect a dead car, he should be able to figure installation.

Not "suffer" less but more control of the weight your pulling. Which I guess would make the car "suffer" less

Anyone have any thoughts on return on investment for these items??

Return on investment? Well trailer brakes could save both the trailer, the vehicle and perhaps your life! I say it's well worth the investment.

~carrie
As for the Tab, I think they actually weigh more, but you could easily check with Tab owners, I am sure they have a forum as we do here with Glass eggs. Don't take the posted weight of any trailer as gospel. Weigh yourself (that is why this Post was originated) .......... My Casita say's it weights 2300 range, but in actuality it weighted in at a beefy 2800 pounds, empty...... Posted weights are often before ad on's are added, such as fridge, air conditioner, etc...........

Tags
weighing, weight