Trailer Weights in the Real World - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #113

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Bill,

Nancy here again. I forgot to mention in our bare bones Scamp that we did order the brakes, which add a bit of weight.

You mentioned the Deluxe with front dinette. It has been years since we got ours, but I think we saw one with the front dinette. At that time it seems the front dinette had this area next to the stove that was dead space. I could have this wrong. But if the dinette was able to be made into a bed (is it?), that bed would have been shorter because of that sort of dead space. I never spent much time looking over the option because I did not like it.

I do like the mods that many have done to make front dinettes in their 13 Scamps. Those use the entire width and often can be made into beds.

My husband and I do not sleep together on the small to us back bed. We make up the back table every day, a pain for sure.

Sure wish you could see and sit at the Scamp Deluxe front dinette before buying. They are few and far between I think.

Nancy

Old 09-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #114

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Smile front dinette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Bill,

Nancy here again. I forgot to mention in our bare bones Scamp that we did order the brakes, which add a bit of weight.

You mentioned the Deluxe with front dinette. It has been years since we got ours, but I think we saw one with the front dinette. At that time it seems the front dinette had this area next to the stove that was dead space. I could have this wrong. But if the dinette was able to be made into a bed (is it?), that bed would have been shorter because of that sort of dead space. I never spent much time looking over the option because I did not like it.

I do like the mods that many have done to make front dinettes in their 13 Scamps. Those use the entire width and often can be made into beds.

My husband and I do not sleep together on the small to us back bed. We make up the back table every day, a pain for sure.

Sure wish you could see and sit at the Scamp Deluxe front dinette before buying. They are few and far between I think.

Nancy
I appreciate your input. I'm not certain about the dead space you mention as I believe one seat is for the converter and the other seat storage.

The rear bed is larger (54") in the deluxe and another reason we will buy the deluxe. This is larger than the bed we have in our pop-up which we find snug, but adequate. Perhaps, because we are both 5'6" on a good day.
I really would like to know how much additional weight brakes add. I find these kinds of questions difficult at best to get answered from the people at Scamp.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #115

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Bill, I think the minimal weight of the brakes is well worth it. They can't weigh that much.

Look at the floor plan of the 13 standard scamp. See how the pink front bunk goes all the way across the trailer in the front.

Then click down to the deluxe floor plan. See the tan area next to the stove in the front and how the table is not centered? That curved corner is the area that I am questioning and wonder if it is dead space.

Scamp Travel Trailers: 13 Foot Floor Plans

Scamp may build it this way for a couple of reasons. One is that it makes access to the stove side bench easier (not back in the corner so much). Maybe they think the straight back is nice. I personally would want the curve and stick pillows, blankets back there for a back rest. Not that I would like a curved back but I would not want to waste even that little bit of space. Lots of mods made have a front table that moves so one can access the seats.

Our porta potty stores under the front bunk. If you have the really nice deluxe I guess your potty would get stored under what you must plan to be the full time bed.

Sorry I didn't pay more attention to that Deluxe front dinette and can not be better help.

Nancy
Old 09-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #116

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Bill, I think the minimal weight of the brakes is well worth it. They can't weigh that much.

Look at the floor plan of the 13 standard scamp. See how the pink front bunk goes all the way across the trailer in the front.

Then click down to the deluxe floor plan. See the tan area next to the stove in the front and how the table is not centered? That curved corner is the area that I am questioning and wonder if it is dead space.

Scamp Travel Trailers: 13 Foot Floor Plans

Scamp may build it this way for a couple of reasons. One is that it makes access to the stove side bench easier (not back in the corner so much). Maybe they think the straight back is nice. I personally would want the curve and stick pillows, blankets back there for a back rest. Not that I would like a curved back but I would not want to waste even that little bit of space. Lots of mods made have a front table that moves so one can access the seats.

Our porta potty stores under the front bunk. If you have the really nice deluxe I guess your potty would get stored under what you must plan to be the full time bed.

Sorry I didn't pay more attention to that Deluxe front dinette and can not be better help.

Nancy
It's accessible extra storage space, not just blanked out "dead" space.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:20 PM   #117

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Post New weight Info

I weighed a WeisCraft Little Joe at the Lake Casitas Rally.

Axle_____1380
Tongue___180
Total____1560

It is #9 in the spreadsheet.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #118

Name: jim l
Trailer: trillium 5500
Ontario
Very infomative, thanks for the info

Jim in os
Old 11-24-2011, 12:39 PM   #119

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Thank you for your list, it realy helped me a lot
Old 01-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #120

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Smile Weights at Quartzsite

Frederick,
I thought that #17 was our rig. You weighed us at Quartzsite last year and obtained the same result.
At any rate, we were loaded and had traveled several thousand miles previous to the Quartzsite gathering.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #121

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
very cool, and so very informative. nice work,,,i'll buy you a beer if we every run into each other out there.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:52 PM   #122

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
We were so happy to find this spreadsheet (and the one on bed size) Between the two we made the decision to look for a Compact II, which magically popped up for sale almost immediately!
Once we get a few details ironed out we'll be camping and I hope we'll meet up at a gathering for a real weight of our little gem!

Denece
Old 01-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #123

California
Registry
Cool You are correct, Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
I thought that #17 was our rig. You weighed us at Quartzsite last year ...
IIRC, yours is the only 13' Trillium I have weighed.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #124

California
Registry
Exclamation There will be no weigh-in at the 2012 Oregon Gathering

My employer's General Manager has informed me that our rental market for the wheel weighers has increased in the summertime.
He can no longer justify my possession of them for the 2 weeks I am away on the trip.

It was a good run, and we collected a large enough sampling to make this spreadsheet useful.
Thank you to everyone who participated.

If you have weight data to contribute, post it here and I will be happy to add it to the spreadsheet. I can also have use of the scales at Southern California and Arizona events that take them out of availability for only a weekend. Please ask, because I will bring them with me only on request.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #125

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
If you have weight data to contribute, post it here and I will be happy to add it to the spreadsheet. ..........
Forgive me if this was covered in the previous X pages, but where is a good place to have a trailer weighed?
Old 01-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #126

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
Try this site Truck Scales and Weigh Stations Locator for Truck Drivers and Trucking Companies at Truckstops

Tags
weighing, weight