Trailering new 2014 Scamp 13. 7-pin to 4flat? - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 10:12 AM   #1

Name: Bobbi
Trailer: Scamp 13
Maine
Trailering new 2014 Scamp 13. 7-pin to 4flat?

We will pick it up in July 28 in Backus. We are getting brakes on the trailer but NOT having box installed in Subaru Crosstrek because it's a lease. We will do this on the next vehicle. SO, my question is...will the lights and signals work ok for the trip back to Maine when using flat 4 to 7 pin adapter? Also, will the battery charge this way? One last thing: We will have AC, fridge, furnace. Group 27 battery and 20# propane. I've seen the weight spreadsheet but it doesn't really give "per amenity" weight. I'm trying to get a final weight on the thing. I know it's close to my limit (Subaru wasn't even remotely worried when I told them our plans). For those of you who went to the factory, can we weigh there? Ok, I'm done.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #2

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Four wires only give you brake lights, signal and running lights. No reverse lights , brakes or Acc. charge voltage.
Eddie

Old 05-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #3

Maine
Thank you Ed. That's just what we needed to confirm. Now...anyone? About the final weight...Scamp is not very helpful, very busy I guess.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:44 AM   #4

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Bobbi, you could use the RF style brake controller so you would be able to have brakes & no tow vehicle wiring required.
Dave & Paula
Old 05-13-2014, 10:58 AM   #5

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
If you are limited to 1500 pounds trailer weight and 150 pounds tongue weight I am pretty sure your new trailer will be more than that. I wonder if you could put the battery and propane tank in the vehicle for the trip home to lighten the tongue load. Scamp should be able to tell you where the nearest weigh place is. If you are limited to the above numbers be careful.

Nancy
Old 05-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #6

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Have you looked at Trailer Weights in the real world under general chat?

we are the lowest weight 13 Scamp there. 1420 +200=1620.

We have no air conditioner, no refrigerator, no water, no awning. We did have books, sleeping gear and clothes. cooler in the car.

Nancy
Old 05-13-2014, 11:18 AM   #7
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Over weight and under powered. Without brakes just makes things worse. Sorry Raz
Old 05-13-2014, 11:50 AM   #8

Maine
You have been very helpful, all of you. We are brand new to the scamp community and looking forward to fun camping. The internet is full of a lot of stuff. Weighing it all takes time.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:54 AM   #9

Name: Steve
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Bobbi, you could use the RF style brake controller so you would be able to have brakes & no tow vehicle wiring required.
Dave & Paula
I have the RF controller on my 13.
It comes with a 7 pin male plug just like the trailer but in addition to the 4 wires you will have to at least supply another power wire whether you choose to make it a viable charge wire would be up to you. The controler wont operate without that power wire. I would buy the 7pin socket that the existing 4 flat connecter plugs into and plug your trailer into that. So at least you could get working trailer lights. Running without brakes probably isn't wise and my understanding running a trailer with brakes in operable if you have them is illegale in some states. When I ordered my RF controler it took a while to get, cant just run down the parts store and pick it up. I don't know if the supply situation has changed in a year and a half.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:57 AM   #10

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Agreed, trailer brakes are real important. My first trip this year with my new to me nissan frontier I didn't have the cable yet from etrailer to hook up the brake controller....Nissan says my truck can stop 3000lb trailer...well it can but wasn't a comfortable feeling....glad it was only a 60 mile ride to my buddies house for new years eve. Next trip down I installed the cable and brake controller.

For such a light weight vehicle I think its dangerous driving it without the electric brakes.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 05-13-2014, 02:10 PM   #11

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbilane View Post
We will pick it up in July 28 in Backus. We are getting brakes on the trailer but NOT having box installed in Subaru Crosstrek because it's a lease.
I'm puzzled by the reasoning here- have you discussed this with the leaseholder and they're telling you that such an installation is forbidden according to its terms? It seems strange to me that they'd allow the installation of a hitch while at the same time forbidding the installation of the actuator for the brakes specifically required by Subaru if towing over a thousand pounds-? The car is simply not equipped as-is with sufficient braking power to stop loads heavier than that.

Subaru may be unconcerned about the possibility of weight straying a few hundred pounds over 1500, but I think it fair to presume that they'd be far less casual about advising/"allowing" you to do so without trailer brakes.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #12

Maine
Trailering new 2014 Scamp 13. 7-pin to 4flat?

No, my reasoning is it's 300 bucks to install the box etc when I'll only have the car another year. Subaru recommends brakes too over 1000 pounds. And then another 300 plus the 800 to install for the next vehicle...which I may not lease...buy.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #13

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbilane View Post
No, my reasoning is it's 300 bucks to install the box etc when I'll only have the car another year. Subaru recommends brakes too over 1000 pounds. And then another 300 plus the 800 to install for the next vehicle...which I may not lease...buy.
Brake controllers are not vehicle-specific and can easily be removed from one car and put in another. Even the wiring isn't complex or even necessarily permanent, especially if run under the car body instead of through the interior.

Charge line installation is a little more difficult, but since it's not a safety issue easily left to wait for the next vehicle. Not so with the brakes; this vehicle can't safely tow your new Scamp without them. Please don't attempt to do so.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #14

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
That's a foolish reason to not spend $300. There is always the people who take unnecessary risks but the first time someone cuts you off and your standing on the brake pedal and not slowing down fast enough you will probably be regretting your decision

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Closed Thread

Tags
scamp