Trailering Rules of Thumb - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2007, 06:08 PM   #21

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Make a list and check it each time before you pull out...
This is an especially good idea!

A written list of procedures for BOTH setting up camp, and breaking camp are good to have when you bring frends/family members along who want to help.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:24 PM   #22

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft Gaucho
Before pulling out:

put up the step!
Interior check: check the interior from the top down -- a/c, fan, fan cover, etc. (do a big circle with your eyes); then all the upper cupboards; then waist high (stove), then lower cupboards.
Ericpa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:28 PM   #23

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Count qty of pets in car before getting underway.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:00 PM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
When travelling and you stop for fuel and wife goes to bathroom in service station, make sure she is back in vehicle before driving away
Old 01-05-2007, 07:01 PM   #25

Trailer: Boler 1984
When ready to leave your campsite. Pull the trailer forward at least one trailer length, then circle ckeck both vehicles. Mabee something inadvertantly had rolled underneath.
Hey! Not me! No NO
Why, I'd NEVER do that
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:06 PM   #26

Trailer: Boler 1984
Packed up once. Caught the dog. Counted the kids. Saw wife in passenger seat. Hooked up and left. Ten minutes later went back and tied on the canoe. It was peacefully waiting under the tree for me. Felt sheepish as we left campground and waved to our hosts AGAIN.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:12 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Do this if you'd rather spend your time camping than vacuuming & dusting;
and when was the last time YOU actually did that?

"What you mean "WE", Kimosabi?"
Old 01-05-2007, 07:19 PM   #28

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Remove wheel chocks BEFORE driving out with trailer. I have a couple pair of squished ones. Your trailer will pull out much easier too. Oh, and that little wheel under the bottom of the jack isn't made to dolly the tongue behind the tow vehicle. Either remove it, or if you have a swing-up jack, put your jack up.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:57 PM   #29

Registry
Never push your gas guage. Remember your milage goes down when towing, and that 1/8th a tank that takes you a few more miles under normal driving conditions may NOT take you to the next gas station when you leave camp.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:26 PM   #30

Trailer: Casita 17 ft and Casita 13 ft
Here's a tidbit of advice.

When you purchase your trailer, you are just BEGINNING to spend money. It will need oodles and gobs of "other" things. Bedding, towels, storage boxes, insurance, (in our case) a gate cut into our fence and the curb cut in order to park the trailer in our backyard, hoses, trailer hitch, lights, brakes.

Oh my gosh, what else? I'm sure I'm forgetting some other things. Oh yes, special wax (like is used for boats), a cover (maybe, we're still not sure whether to cover or not - you can read the pros and cons about covers by searching on this site).

And so it goes .... even though you are spending some to get your trailer ready for camping, it is all worth it when you finally get your very own trailer home and start to plan your adventures!

Patty
Patty C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:42 PM   #31

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Never push your gas guage. Remember your milage goes down when towing, and that 1/8th a tank that takes you a few more miles under normal driving conditions may NOT take you to the next gas station when you leave camp.
And along that line, check your insurance and see if the towing insurance will also cover your trailer and if your trailer is insured when it is unhooked from your tow vehicle at the campground.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:12 AM   #32

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
When you get to your camping spot, take time to get out and stretch your legs and look around before you unhook...
That reminds me... During your pre-setup site survey, there is usually evidence on the ground of where the water flows across the site during a rain storm. You probably don't want to set up right over that spot.

I suspect I've learned most of these lessons the hard way. Except for leaving the wife behind. But then, I wonder if I used to be married and left her behind somewhere?
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:51 AM   #33

Trailer: U-Haul
Maybe it's been said already, but do a walk around the parking site "prior" to pulling in/backing in just in case there are two big "fire ant" mounds where your wheels would rest.
And add to your stock list of things you carry in the trailer is "fire ant killer", heheh
Terry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:02 AM   #34

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Maybe it's been said already, but do a walk around the parking site "prior" to pulling in/backing in just in case there are two big "fire ant" mounds where your wheels would rest.
And add to your stock list of things you carry in the trailer is "fire ant killer", heheh
I'll have to try and remember this when I plan a trip to fire ant country.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:44 AM   #35

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft ('Kermit' It's not easy being green!)
Quote:
Count qty of pets in car before getting underway.
Count number of humans in tow vehicle before leaving. This number should be the same as when arriving, not less and not more, as in "Yes, honey, I see that you've made a new friend. That's wonderful! But, no, he cannot come home with us. His parents will miss him. See the search party forming over there? "
debbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:01 PM   #36

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft ('Kermit' It's not easy being green!)
Okay, I didn't mean to kill this thread. Please add some more tips--they are great! I love learning from other people's mistakes--er, experiences.
debbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:18 PM   #37

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
S'OK Debby...I'll be the dreaded thread killer Heading to Florida for three months on Friday and am really enjoying this thread Went out and bought a tub of Clorox wipes to disinfect the water hook-up after reading the posting on dogs and dirty rubber gloves...eeeeeeew .
We only ever drink bottled water on the road. Cost of doin' business. My wife worked for the nation-wide chain of softeners/water purifiers/ etc and we have horror stories of CGs on well systems that operate with non-functioning purification plants. Figger a holiday costing thousands need not be ruined with "stomach 'flu" for the sake of a fifty cent gallon of treated water.
That being said, I am a charter member of the DROP CLUB...en route to Scamp Camp in Sebring I let a nice young lad at a glass repair shop( where we had a pane replaced) hook me up to the tug. 1/4 mile down the road when TT bounced off the hitch, I realized he hooked me up with the safety latch ON TOP of the ball Little major damage but a big rise in the learning curve!
Happy trails, folks...Alistair
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:47 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Remember when deploying the awning to leave it a slight angle on one side - so the rain water will not collect on the awning - strains the equipment and possibly one's temper the next day when you take down the awning and are treated to an ice cold shower.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:38 PM   #39

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
If you travel with someone, walkie-talkies make backing a trailer a much less stressful experience.

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:26 PM   #40

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Backing hand signs...

I am always confused when someone who is "helping" me back wants to tell me to turn the wheels this way or that... or begins to look like their going to fly to New Jersey by flapping their arms... so... to alleviate that stress and make sure we have clear signals, I always tell my helpers just to point in the direction the rear of the trailer needs to go, and to stay where they can see my eyes in one of the side mirrors. I can figure out the rest and if they can see my eyes in the mirror, then I can see them.

The second helpful thing is once I'm within a few feet of where I need to be backing, I have them hold their arms up and open to about how much space is left to go, and then to close their hands as I back, correlating the amount of space they show to the amount of space I have left. When the get down to a foot or so, I know I'm close enough without hitting anything.

Those two things, merely pointing the direction the rear needs to go, and showing me how much room I have left make for a very quick and quiet backing experience.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote