Trailering Rules of Thumb - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2007, 10:02 PM   #61

Trailer: Bigfoot (25B21RB) 2007 Bunkbed version
When you are breaking camp, you're all hooked up, and you're about to leave your site, step back from your rig and slowly walk completely around your rig. Look at your roof and check the vents, check your connection points to make sure nothing is still attached, check your stabilizers to make sure they are up, check your windows to make sure they are all closed, check your door steps to make sure they are secured, check your wheels to make sure all chocks are removed and remind yourself to remove leveler blocks before leaving, and finally check your hitch set up to make sure everything is properly connected up. Think of yourself as a pilot doing a pre-departure walk around flight check. I also do this everytime I stop to fill up with gas. I do a walk around just to make sure everything is okay. I give the whole rig a quick look over.
Bernie Seward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:46 PM   #62

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
So, we seem to have a bit of a knowledge base here. Broad as all outdoors. Maybe we can capture a bit of it. If you had to give one or two bits of advice to a newbie starting out, what would it be. Keep it general, not brand, person, religion, politics, gender, national origin, specific. Here are two to start:

- Chock the tires before unhitching the trailer.
- Put and keep a foot/rock/weight on the black water hose where it enters the dump hole BEFORE opening the valve.
Past employment (the army) dictated checklists. I have one for camping and one for my boat. They can get long but you won't miss anything
McBride, Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:38 PM   #63

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scampless in Oregon
Oregon
I don't believe anyone has mentioned this..... but after you hook up and do your walk around, etc. it's always a good idea to check lights (brake and directionals too..) just to be sure that all is well.
jack smith is offline   Reply With Quote