Trailering Rules of Thumb - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-10-2007, 09:24 AM   #57
Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty (Sold 2011)/ Honda Odyssey
Never leave your tow vehicle plugged into your trailer overnight when running an electric refrigerator at a dry campground.

A lesson I thankfully didn't learn at a dry campground, but rather at a friend's house who had jumper cables!

Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 10:43 AM   #58
Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
In an effort to lessen the frustration(s) of trailer backing, we almost always carry a pair of Family Service Radios. Used correctly these nifty l'il radios eleminate alot of stress bacause you can talk in a much lower (calmer?) voice without everyone else in the campground hearing you,

The other choice is:
Trailer Goddess drives, I direct (only because I (usually) know WHERE we want to end up and can better direct 'right turn Honey'; 'left turn Dear'..... S T O P !! S T O P !!!

Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:25 PM   #59
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Good advice Patrick!

This rule even applies when you are plugged into your friend's electricity.

After it happened to me I went out and bought a Power on Demand Jump Start System so I can restart the TV no matter where I am.
CD and Joyce Smith - Lily, Violet, and Rose
1999 Casita 17' SD - "The Little Egg"
2007 Escalade - 6.2L V8 - 6L80E Trans - 3.42 Diff
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:04 PM   #60
Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
I don't have that much advice, but after scratching my head for a few minutes, I'll put forth the following:

1. When opening the overhead cupboard with all the cans and cups in it after travelling over really, really bumpy roads for a stretch, STAND TO THE SIDE OF THE CUPBOARD with a hand outstretched to catch the flying projectiles.

2. When the lid to the coffee grounds is stuck and you have to violently reef on it to get it open, DO THIS OUTSIDE THE UNIT or you'll be picking up coffee grounds from every nook and cranny for the next three years.

3. If you're the wife of the person who did #2 (see above), follow the same rules you would use if you're meeting a grizzley on a mountain trail: Back up slowly, slowly until you're out of range. Resist the urge to scream. By the way, this would be a great time to examine and sort the maps and travel guides in the tow vehicle (a really great time).

For what it's worth.....

- Miriam
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:02 PM   #61
Trailer: Bigfoot (25B21RB) 2007 Bunkbed version
When you are breaking camp, you're all hooked up, and you're about to leave your site, step back from your rig and slowly walk completely around your rig. Look at your roof and check the vents, check your connection points to make sure nothing is still attached, check your stabilizers to make sure they are up, check your windows to make sure they are all closed, check your door steps to make sure they are secured, check your wheels to make sure all chocks are removed and remind yourself to remove leveler blocks before leaving, and finally check your hitch set up to make sure everything is properly connected up. Think of yourself as a pilot doing a pre-departure walk around flight check. I also do this everytime I stop to fill up with gas. I do a walk around just to make sure everything is okay. I give the whole rig a quick look over.
Bernie Seward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:46 PM   #62
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
So, we seem to have a bit of a knowledge base here. Broad as all outdoors. Maybe we can capture a bit of it. If you had to give one or two bits of advice to a newbie starting out, what would it be. Keep it general, not brand, person, religion, politics, gender, national origin, specific. Here are two to start:

- Chock the tires before unhitching the trailer.
- Put and keep a foot/rock/weight on the black water hose where it enters the dump hole BEFORE opening the valve.
Past employment (the army) dictated checklists. I have one for camping and one for my boat. They can get long but you won't miss anything
McBride, Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:38 PM   #63
Name: Jack
Trailer: Scampless in Oregon
I don't believe anyone has mentioned this..... but after you hook up and do your walk around, etc. it's always a good idea to check lights (brake and directionals too..) just to be sure that all is well.

jack smith is offline   Reply With Quote