Trails West Campster - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2006, 03:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster
Hi. My name is Kevin and I new to this forum. My Great Uncle willed me his 1970 Trails West Campster. It is in really good condition and I am looking foward to camping in it all around Arizona. I am wondering if anyone knows the history (or where I may find it) of this make. I have searched the Internet and cannot find a thing. I would love to find an owners manual for the trailer. I have the refrigerator manual but dont have one for the overall unit and/or the furnace. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx...Kevin
KevinSteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Welcome to FiberglassRV Kevin, we're glad you found us!

We have several members with Trails West Campsters, but for the life of me I can't remember off the top of my head...who they are

We also have several pictures of the campster in our Albums (at the top of this screen, just to the right you'll see:

STORE | FGRV Map | ALBUMS | FORUMS | HOME

If you click on the ALBUMS you'll see picture of dozens of trailers...by brand. Click here for the direct link to the Trails West Campster album: Trails West Campster

Unfortunately, there isn't any documentation strictly for your trailer, however all the brands use appliances manufactured by others. On the left navigation bar, you'll see our Document Center. Inside are a bunch of manufacturers documentation. If you know the brand and model numbers of your appliances, there's a good chance you'll find what you need there. If not, let us know specifically brand/model number and maybe someone can help you soon.

Again welcome, enjoy and know we love to look at pictures!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:11 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Appliances are generally not specific to any brand. I suggest checking the Appliances section of the Document Center here in FiberglassRV, and if the refrigerator manual isn't there, posting the make and model in case someone has one.

There's a Trailer Brand Manufacturer section too, but there appear to be no Trails West Campster manuals, which is not surprising.

There have been Campster owners in this forum. One of them posted a topic about the complete new chassis which he built for his Campster; unfortunately, that topic was lost to a hacker last year, and I can't even remember the owner's name.

Edit:
The problem with starting a reply, then going and looking for Trails West Campster info, is that Donna gets her post done first!

If anyone remembers who posted that frame replacement... your turn.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:26 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Didn't John Perry buy the one in the lower few pics in the Albums?

We have 3 members listed with them. I know Trails West is actually still in business, they make horse trailers with living quarters.

Trails West Trailers

I have no idea of there is anyone there left that can tell you about the brief period they made the fiberglass campers. They are currently in Idaho, but I vaguely recall in doing my research when considering buying one, (The FIRST one in the albums) that the glass campers were made in So. Cal.

You see them around here on occasion, and most I have seen come up for sale are here or in Arizona.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 04:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Quote:
Hi. My name is Kevin and I new to this forum. My Great Uncle willed me his 1970 Trails West Campster. It is in really good condition and I am looking foward to camping in it all around Arizona. I am wondering if anyone knows the history (or where I may find it) of this make. I have searched the Internet and cannot find a thing. I would love to find an owners manual for the trailer. I have the refrigerator manual but dont have one for the overall unit and/or the furnace. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx...Kevin
Welcome! That's a nice-looking trailer! You're going to have a blast camping in a fiberglass rv!
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:04 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Talking

NICE LOOKING TRAILER, I HAD NOT SEEN OR HEARD OF ONE. MY SON-IN-LAW WOULD NEED ONE OF THOSE POP UP HEADROOM SECTIONS TO BE ABLE TO USE A SCAMP. HA! HE IS 6'3". CAN'T STAND UP ALL THE WAY IN OUR SCAMP.
BEST OF LUCK WITH THE NEW CAMPER. HAPPY CAMPING.
THE DESERTHAWK

PS: EXCUSE THE CAPS. I DIDN'T MEAN TO SCREAM.
Attached Thumbnails
HEADROOM.jpg  
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:51 AM   #7

Trailer: Campster
Hey Kevin, what luck I just inherited a campster myself. I am way excited to fix it up and you will have to get me some contact info. so we can chat, or just an email if that is more comfortable for you. I will be getting a digital camera soon so I will start posting pictures. I think my campster is campworthy but I have been thinking about painting it. As far as I know everything is origonal. I got it from my grandma who barely used it. My unkle might know some history on it so i think i will see what i can dig up. So far he has said that they were made in Portland. He might have know the guy. More later. I look foreward to sharing Ideas.
davidbean
davidbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:01 AM   #8

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Hi, David, we have a few Campster owners here. I just got mine this summer (not inherited, though, that would have been great!)

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:42 PM   #9

Trailer: Trails West Campster
Hey, everyone! I had just about given up finding anyone who had a Trails West Campster anymore. My parents traveled from Wyoming to California in 1970 just to purchase one. Both my dad and I are inveterate tinkerers. He was a better cabinet builder than I am, but I get by. My wife and I continue to use it for camping with our granddaughter in the mountains of Wyoming -- two weeks this last summer.

Many modifications over the years, including a tiny forced-air propane furnace (installed under the center right-hand seat), and a sleeping bunk across the front for our granddaughter. Several years ago I added some color to match our 1990 Bronco. A word of advice on painting -- use a quality (DuPont, etc.) auto body paint and prep the surface carefully. If you don't know how to do auto body painting or aren't equipped for it, have a body shop do it for you. This summer I reworked the propane bottle rack and added some stiffening on the underside of the A-frame. Would be excited to share experiences with other Trails West Campster owners.
Jim Ingram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:47 PM   #10

Hey Jim, welcome to FiberglassRV ! We're glad you found us.

Pictures, we love to at pictures. Do you have any to share?
Old 10-19-2007, 09:28 PM   #11

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Hi Jim,

Showing us your trailer and talking about it will help other Trails West Campster people find you and join in posting.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:46 PM   #12
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
A quick search indicates we have 10 members with Trails West Campsters.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:10 AM   #13

I split Jim Ingram's posting (with pictures) and you'll find the new topic in the Modifications forum here: Jim's Trail West Campster
Old 05-12-2011, 10:59 PM   #14

Name: Doc
Trailer: TrailsWest CAMPSTER 1970
Washington
Welcome Kevin.......I bought my CAMPSTER in March........I am customizing it starting with the pop top. I am now redoing the interior, rewiring, etc.
I live in western Washington on the Stevens Pass highway.
Doc
'camp frugal'
campfrugal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campster, trails west