Trans Labrador Highway - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-04-2017, 11:47 AM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
For us one of the best parts of crossing is the super rural nature of the ride across Labrador. The fact that part or all of the road was gravel was just another feature. Preparing your rig is important.

Newfoundland is also rural, particularly away from St. John's where about half the population lives. Newfoundland has more to see in terms of sites. We have driven virtually every numbered road in Newfoundland but not seen everything. When we started our Rving adventure we thought we'd see the whole continent at least north of Mexico. Even in Newfoundland where we've now spent 16 months, we find more on roads we've driven previously. Sometimes, even though we're slow drivers, we don't stop enough and explore enough.

Downsizing has changed us in many ways over our 18 years on the road, mostly for the better. Actually every March when we start planning for our NL trip every day seems a little brighter. I order a new guide, start growing a beard (some how it makes me feel more 'Newfie'), I make a one way reservation, hoping a little that we won't be coming back. We make our return reservation a week before returning, my step slows than.

Oh well, I'm working myself up for another trip.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:09 PM   #16

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Slow Driving Movement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
For us one of the best parts of crossing is the super rural nature of the ride across Labrador. The fact that part or all of the road was gravel was just another feature. Preparing your rig is important.

Newfoundland is also rural, particularly away from St. John's where about half the population lives. Newfoundland has more to see in terms of sites. We have driven virtually every numbered road in Newfoundland but not seen everything. When we started our Rving adventure we thought we'd see the whole continent at least north of Mexico. Even in Newfoundland where we've now spent 16 months, we find more on roads we've driven previously. Sometimes, even though we're slow drivers, we don't stop enough and explore enough.

Downsizing has changed us in many ways over our 18 years on the road, mostly for the better. Actually every March when we start planning for our NL trip every day seems a little brighter. I order a new guide, start growing a beard (some how it makes me feel more 'Newfie'), I make a one way reservation, hoping a little that we won't be coming back. We make our return reservation a week before returning, my step slows than.

Oh well, I'm working myself up for another trip.
Yep, I'm a slow driver and will turn down any road that looks interesting whether it's on the map or not! Had some great times and met some great people in N. Scotland doing that. And the Newfies I've met are much the same but with a better sense of humour!

My focus for this 4 or 5 month trip is NFLD & LAB. But.... I have to drive all the way from the furthest point on the West coast of Canada to get there. So, I'll be going as fast as I can through the intervening Provinces, most of which I've explored already, but not in any depth, except B.C.
And some parts of Alberta. Other than that, I only do North - like the 3 month road trip with my Trilly to the Yukon and Northwest Territories in 2015 where we went to the end of the road in Canada on the Arctic Ocean. I'd already been to Alaska a couple of times.

Just need to be wary of moose on the East coast! Average speed on the 3 month Arctic trip was 43 mph!

I hope we can keep this thread going, maybe interest some others in exploring this part of the world??

Old 08-04-2017, 03:22 PM   #17

Florida
For us the big Moose areas were Maine and Newfoundland. In Nova Scotia and New Brunswick deer seem to be more of an issue. So far we have not hit any in the Canadian Provinces but did kill a deer in AZ.

In NL we see plenty of Moose and have learned to drive with split vision... We also play see the Moose first.... Ginny never sleeps when I drive and has seen enough Moose to know the danger.

NL has added anti-moose fence in part of the province. When you cross from Labrador at St Barbe you'll be on the northern portion of the western Peninsula, the Moose capital is up there near Roddick (sp). 4 moose were introduced to the western part in 1910 or so, now there's about 150,000. If they'd stop hunting they would soon exceed the human population.

We should be in NL in May and June.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-04-2017, 03:41 PM   #18

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Quebec
Registry
(Drifting away from the TLH topic...) We had crews overnighting at Corner Brook, and after many scary moose encounters on the 3AM drive to the Deer Lake airport we've been relocated a at hotel closer to the airport.

We have a few roads with moose fences in QC too (175 & 169).

If one like to see mooses up close, try ME 201 between Skowhegan ME north to the QC border at night. You're almost garantee to hit one.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:40 PM   #19

Florida
Our rule is minimal night driving, of course it stays light real late.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-04-2017, 05:58 PM   #20

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
May & June 2018?

Thanks for all the moosey information from both Norm & Carl.

Norm,

Did you mean May & June 2018 in Labrador/ or Nfld or both?? Maybe we could connect somewhere so I can really pick your brain!

Barb
Old 08-04-2017, 08:13 PM   #21

Florida
Our plan is to be in NL in May/June 2018. Send me a PM and I'll send you my ail and phone

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-06-2017, 05:07 PM   #22

Florida
Description of the TLH

Worth reading the following Link

Trans-Labrador Highway

We didn't find the road particularly dangerous, certainly different and interesting.

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16