Trans Labrador Highway - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-04-2017, 07:13 PM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Our plan is to be in NL in May/June 2018. Send me a PM and I'll send you my ail and phone

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:07 PM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Description of the TLH

Worth reading the following Link

Trans-Labrador Highway

We didn't find the road particularly dangerous, certainly different and interesting.

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:43 PM   #23

Name: Connice
Trailer: Terry 5th Wheel
British Columbia
About TLH in 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbinBC View Post
Funny, I' ve been researching the TLH as well for a cross Canada trip in 2018. Lots of info online. Found out that that last bit of gravel road will be paved this summer, 2017. So there shouldn't be any gravel left for next year!

The focus of my journey will be Newfoundland. I have relatives there which should make it easier, depending on how much exploring they, themselves have done. Ordered a couple of books that haven't arrived yet. Also ordered the NFLD & Lab. guide book and map from their tourism organization.

If you would like some links, send me a private message. Might save you some research time.

I live on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, so it will really be a cross country trip for me. Figuring around 12,000 miles or so return. Still working on my budget for the trip. A minimum of 4 months, hopefully 5 from here.

Later, Barb & Le Corbeau ( My 2004 Trillium Outback)
Hello,

I have read your post about the TLH trip for 2018; we plan on 2019 and we live in Kamloops, so we are neighbors!! lol. New to this site too.

We are looking at 5-6 months travel and wonder if you could send me information about your trip once you complete it....mostly the gravel etc in Labrador. We plan on doing Newfoundland first then coming back via Labrador/Quebec way.

We are traveling with a 26 1/2 ft 5th wheel trailer. Maybe you postponed your trip till 2019 and we could meet up on the road.

Thanks for any help you can provide as well as the links you mention in your post.

Cheers,

Connice Lagace
ConvicinBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:00 PM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Here's a quick update on the TLH status: I'm in Lab City for the night (work brings me here) and in my hotel room is the latest edition of the Aurora, the local newspaper, showing this article about the TLH on it's cover page:
Funding announced for Trans-Labrador Highway | Local | News | The Aurora
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:01 PM   #25

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Copied the article in case it gets pulled:

Funding announced for Trans-Labrador Highway
Evan Careen (evan.careen@thelabradorian.ca)
Published: Jun 26 at 4:10 p.m.
Updated: Jun 27 at 11:14 a.m.

Over $64 million allotted to complete widening and paving

HAPPY VALLEY—GOOSE BAY, N.L. — A project that began in 2009 is nearing completion. That project, the paving of the Trans-Labrador Highway (TLH), is expected to be completed by 2021.

Premier Dwight Ball was in Happy Valley-Goose Bay on Monday, June 25 to announce that the 126 kilometres from Cartwright Junction to Happy Valley-Goose Bay will be widened and paved next summer.

The price tag for that work is about $64.5 million, with $32.6 million coming from the province and $31.8 million from the federal government.

Ball said there’s been 370 km of the road paved since 2016, to the tune of $170 million.

“This will leave us somewhere between 70 and 80 km of road which will need to be done,” Ball said. “So that will be the only gap from L’Anse au Clair to Lab West. We put a big focus on this, making sure that we get this completed.”

He said the highway work would have numerous economic benefits, from mining to tourism. He said it supplements the request for proposals for a new ferry for the Strait of Belle Isle and for the north coast of Labrador.

The Premier said Labrador has a lot to offer and this gives people an opportunity to see that, whether it be the Red Bay historic site or the Torngat Mountains.

“It gives an opportunity for people who want a unique experience,” he said. “People all around the world are looking for places and reasons to explore, but you still need convenience and a good transportation network.”

Transportation and Works Minister Steve Crocker was also in town for the announcement. He’s glad to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

“If you look at the province as a whole it was the last main highway link that wasn’t suitable for today’s environment and now we’re finally getting to appoint where the Trans-Labrador Highway is going to be completed,” he said.

Crocker said the project has been a priority for his department and getting the federal government to change its funding criteria has been integral in moving forward.

Traffic counts was a restriction that the federal government had for funding, he said, which has now been changed. Previously the federal government wouldn’t help with roadwork funding unless there were 10,000 cars a day on a road, but that’s been reduced to 1,000.

“That wouldn’t suit most roads in Newfoundland and Labrador in its entirety,” he said. “It’s through our relationship with Ottawa and MP (Yvonne) Jones we managed to get that changed and moved forward.”

In addition to the funding announced for the TLH, there was also $900,000 announced for upgrades to the E.J. Broomfield Arena in Happy Valley-Goose Bay and $900,000 for Hopedale sewer infrastructure upgrades.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote