Transmission temps - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2009, 08:46 AM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Safe tow temps for Automatic transmissions

Click image for larger version

Name:	heatchrt.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	17615

I might buy this setup to check my transmission temps when towing my trailer.
Click image for larger version

Name:	scangaugeretail.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	17616

Web page with more info http://www.scangauge.com/

TRIP COMPUTER
Automatically tracks four sets of trip data - Each with 11 individually stored parameters.

* Maximum Speed
* Average Speed
* Maximum Coolant Temperature
* Maximum RPM
* Driving Time
* Driving Distance
* Fuel Used
* Trip Fuel Economy
* Distance to Empty
* Time to Empty
* Fuel to Empty

DIGITAL GAUGES
Display 4 gauges at a time from the 12 built-in digital gauges. the information is presented in Real-time!

* Fuel Economy
* Fuel Rate
* Battery Voltage
* Coolant Temperature
* Intake Air Temperature
* Engine Speed (RPM)
* Vehicle speed (MPH)
* Manifold Pressure (not available on some vehicles)
* Engine Load
* Throttle Position
* Ignition Timing
* Open/Closed Loop
+ transmission temp if you buy the one with Xgauge

SCAN TOOL
The ScanGaugeII allows you to troubleshoot your own car, read error codes, and the conditions present when the error occurred. You can also turn off the “Check Engine” light and avoid those costly trips to the mechanic.

* Reads Trouble Codes
* Reads conditions that set the Trouble Code
* Clears Trouble Codes
* Turns off the "Check Engine" light
* Tells you when vehicle is "Ready" to pass OBDII testing
* Make and store up to 10 rewritable special codes
to send to the vehicle computer
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:12 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I have a ScanTool, but I don't monitor trans temp. I use it to keep track of miles per gallon and cost per mile. I also find it very useful for reading codes and reseting the check engine light.

CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 19 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe 5th Wheel
Did anyone else notice that on the link, they show sample readouts and the guy is doing 129MPH. YIKES (and only getting 7mpg. and he is turning 5,172 rpm)
Alan Weinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:07 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita
I have a ScanGuage and it's very useful. When towing, it indicates when it's okay to use OD and when to lock it out. If OD is locked out when I could be using it, the MPG readout tells me it's costing me 2 MPG.

Note that the transmission temperature is only available for certain vehicles so far (not including mine).

Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:00 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Marv,
Did ScanGauge tell you that they would notify you when they had the codes to read your transmission temperature ?

Bill K

Quote:
I have a ScanGuage and it's very useful. When towing, it indicates when it's okay to use OD and when to lock it out. If OD is locked out when I could be using it, the MPG readout tells me it's costing me 2 MPG.

Note that the transmission temperature is only available for certain vehicles so far (not including mine).

Marv
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:45 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita
Bill,
No, they said to check back to their website from time to time. They will update the list of supported vehicles. No promises as to when.

The explanation I got was the data is available in the OBD-II bitstream but it must be decoded. The import vehicles (mine is a Nissan) are more time-consuming to decode. Obviously, the vehicles having the biggest audience were addressed first.

Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:20 PM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Does anyone use/have Autotap?

http://www.autotap.com/product_family.asp?FamilyId=260
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:45 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
I have a scan gauge II. Best tool you can have for you vehicle. Read the print though, it only works in newer vehicles, from a certain year, I think it was 1990's something.
Dan Vang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:22 AM   #9

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Interesting! It would certainly be nice to get the readout you wanted through the OBD-II port. I bought an Actron CP 9035 code reader for my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee after having the "check engine" persist following replacement of the battery at Sears. Sears didn't have any way to cancel it and the nearest dealer wanted $100 to put it on their diagnostic scanner. The '99 Jeep has run fine since and never displayed "check engine" after I bought the Dignostic Tester. I still have both the Jeep and the Actron Diagnostic Tester.

When I bought my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, The "check engine" came on in the middle of the trip home from the first oil change. Imagine my disappointment when my Tester would neither read the code from the 2005 Jeep or cancel the "check engine"! I had to return to the dealer for diagnostics and go back again when the oxygen sensor part came in, 120 miles round trip each time. The $125 Actron Tester now sits in a drawer. I guess it is a good luck charm.

Based on this experience, I would be a little skeptical about reading any parameter desired through the OBD-II port. OBD-II may not be as standardized as you might think! My 2005 Jeep has a warning light on the instrument panel for transmission temp, no quantitative read out. It also displays fuel mileage and miles to empty. I would expect the ScanGage to be capable of the readout shown in the illustration, but would like to see it work in my vehicle before spending the money. BTW, those appear to be NASCAR numbers on the display rather than towing numbers. The AutoTap looks interesting, but it appears you have to carry a PC laptop in the vehicle. That's a little more than I want to do.

OTOH, I realize that some folks like gadgets a lot. Let us know how it works out.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:51 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I use an AutoTap to monitor engine performance while towing.

I set it up to display Calculated Load, Throttle Position, and both short term and long term fuel calibrations. The Escalade has Engine and Transmission Temperature gages as well as RPM.

I acidentally discovered that the AutoTap has a design deficency, but it has never prevented me from using it effectively. I informed AutoTap about the problem and they just ignored it because they didn't consider it to be a problem.

I highly recommend it for those that use their notebook PCs as a active navigation device while towing.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote