Transporting a trailer cross country - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2018, 05:30 PM   #1

Name: Russ
Trailer: 2020 25 RQ
British Columbia
Transporting a trailer cross country

Hello out there....anyone have experience with any company(s) that can/will transport travel trailers across multiple states?

My preference would be NOT to have it towed....flat decked or otherwise.

If there other options available, I would be interested in knowing.

Thank you in advance.

Russ Foster
Russ Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:59 PM   #2

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Transport a TT

I'd suggest calling a BOAT transportation co..they seem to be able to haul even big fixed-keel (tall) sailboats w ease.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:14 PM   #3

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
Do an on line search for RV transport companies. There are several. Tell them you want it hauled, not towed. Get a quote. Verify insurance.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:34 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
its a trailer, why wouldn't you tow it or have it towed ? taking turns driving my wife and I made it from Reno, NV to Dallas TX in 26 hours including gas and meal stops.

if its under 7'6" wide at the widest point, it WILL fit in a shipping container or a semi trailer... securely strap down the wheels and the frame... I'd tape shipping blankets over the trailer sides as it likely will move on its own suspension... but trucking something that way is expensive.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:58 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
FYI, so you have a ballpark $:

Escape uses a contractor to deliver trailers all over North America. "The cost for delivery is calculated at a rate of $3.00/mile for a single delivery. If we are able to combine deliveries two trailer will receive a discount of $0.20/mile. (Updated 19Sept2018)"
I assume that price is CAD, which would be $2.25 a mile USD.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:32 AM   #6

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
towing a new TT

FWIW we picked up our new Casita at the factory in Rice TX last April and towed her home to central 10aC w our new tow vehicle we'd just bought..2017 Frontier double cab, V6, longbed truck w factory tow pkg and Csasita-installed anti-sway system installed. Camped 3 nice nights on the way back incl a real beautiful drive up the Natchez Trace Pkwy bkz it is within 2 miles of our home! No problemo and a good "shakedown" for us.

We are old "tenters" and so this was our first trailer, but we had a ball. Packed so much "gear" that we musta looked like the modern rendition of the Beverly Hillbillies! ;-)
The TV-TT combo was fine and we were glad we had the 14" longer wheel base w the "long bed"...she towed real well and w the anti-sway bar installed, we had zero trouble, as we have also had none in 6000 miles of towing all this camping season. Note: we stay at the 60 mph tow speed as the factory recommended.
IMHO I wd consider self-towing again.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:33 AM   #7

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Call Joan or her sone at Eclipse Transport and see if she can help you.

I have used her for years for my many transport needs all across the country.

800 207 3012

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:35 AM   #8

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
We have looked like that with several rigs we have owned over the years! Probably would now if we pulled with a pickup instead of a Tahoe.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:37 AM   #9

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
I had a quote on transporting a motorcycle from Las Vegas to Dallas and it was $700 and about a two week time frame.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:38 PM   #10

Name: Paul
Trailer: Casita
Rhode Island
Trailer transport

I tried to buy a Burro, on the West Coast and have it shipped to the East Coast. Most shipping companies are brokers and this is usually outside their comfort zone so expect exorbitant fees, such as $5K. Two possibilities exist if you are patient and the dispatchers are creative. If a token tow (tug) vehicle is available at each drop off a trailer can be loaded on a car carrier attached to a momentary tug. Another possibility is construction trailers which handle odd cargo on flat beds or containers Or both. Ther doesn't seem to be any direct way. I have met a gypsy sort of tow fellow but don't have any contact information. I hope this helps.
Paul
Murph45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:04 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Try uship.com - I've used their broker service to move antique tractors and trailers on flatbeds all over the Western USA and never had a problem. Last haul was Denver, Colorado to Portland Oregon (1300 miles) for $950; took 3 days (in the middle of a January snowstorm!)

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:32 AM   #12

Name: Matt in SoAZ
Trailer: Scamp 13
Arizona
Russ,
Me and my young boys are always looking for an adventure if you opted to have it towed. Where is the trailer and where do you need it to go.
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Foster View Post
Hello out there....anyone have experience with any company(s) that can/will transport travel trailers across multiple states?

My preference would be NOT to have it towed....flat decked or otherwise.

If there other options available, I would be interested in knowing.

Thank you in advance.

Russ Foster
rancilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:24 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Oregon
Try uship.com broker. Have used them for over 10 years to move antique tractors and campers on a flatbed service with zero issues.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:36 PM   #14

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph45 View Post
I tried to buy a Burro, on the West Coast and have it shipped to the East Coast. Most shipping companies are brokers and this is usually outside their comfort zone so expect exorbitant fees, such as $5K.aul

Actually, $5k coast to coast is roughly $2 per mile. Does not sound ridiculous. If you drove and picked it up, figure 5,000 miles of wear and tear and gas. Ten days of your time, hotels, food, etc. now if you make it an adventure, then the cost is just part of the trip.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:50 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Actually, $5k coast to coast is roughly $2 per mile. Does not sound ridiculous. If you drove and picked it up, figure 5,000 miles of wear and tear and gas. Ten days of your time, hotels, food, etc. now if you make it an adventure, then the cost is just part of the trip.
The IRS mileage rate this year is 54.5 cents per mile for the vehicle use alone. Your time and other expenses are not included.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:34 AM   #16

Name: FarmerDoug
Trailer: Escape19
Michigan
We had our Escape transported from Washington to Michigan
good service and rate. Check out Young Transport on Facebook and u-Haul.
Tell Brent that Doug in Michigan gave you the number
520 221-8835
Ourescape19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #17

Name: Russ
Trailer: 2020 25 RQ
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Thank you for the many replies. Fortunately we do not have to consider the option of shipping a trailer from the midwest since (unfortunatley) the deal could not be done.

You are right...the adventure of going there and bringing it back to the west coast through the southern states would have been great...especially since we are into doom and gloom of grey skies and rain in Vancouver.

But....as some have commented in other posts....the exchange rate was the ultimate killer....and the figures didn't "add up" when compared to buying new.

Thanks again everyone...hope the input from others can assist someone in the end.

Merry Xmas

Russ
Russ Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:50 PM   #18

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
FYI, so you have a ballpark $:
Escape uses a contractor to deliver trailers all over North America. "The cost for delivery is calculated at a rate of $3.00/mile for a single delivery. If we are able to combine deliveries two trailer will receive a discount of $0.20/mile. (Updated 19Sept2018)" I assume that price is CAD, which would be $2.25 a mile USD.
Quick follow-up - Escape uses Embassy Logistics out of Calgary for deliveries, and their driver, Torrey (really nice guy), delivered our 21' to us in Alabama back in February 2017. I contacted ETI and Torrey directly to see if they could transport our 17 foot EggCamper from Alabama to Colorado on a back-haul. Turns out they can't because Embassy Logistic's transport license permits them to ship: 1) all over Canada, 2) from Canada to the US, and 3) from the US to Canada, but 4) NOT between locations (pick up and drop off) within the US. I guess if we were willing to have them transport our EggCamper from Alabama to Canada, then from Canada to Colorado, that might be legal in a weird, round-about and expensive way. But I think I'd rather just hitch it up and tow it there myself. That said, anyone have any good suggestions for transporting a bumper pull RV halfway across the country other than USHIP which has been thoroughly discussed in several threads?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:13 PM   #19

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
an eggcamper could easily be loaded on a flatbed truck rather than towed, for that matter.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 02:32 PM   #20

Name: Clarissa
Trailer: In the market
Maine
In order for your trailer to be delivered to where you order it in the condition in which you handed it over to the transport company, you should track it along the delivery route.
clahantar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot