Trapped in my trailer! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-02-2008, 11:23 PM   #15

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Patrick, they are checking squirrels for the plague. It wiped out the squirrels here several years ago. I have heard west nile is an issue with them as well. They are dropping like flies in my hood....yes, the chipmunks are prevalent, and hardly a snack bite for these guys.

The coyotes at the campground are different than the ones you see in populated areas. They behave differently, boler... they are truely wild, not ones living in a 'hood. They are much larger, fuller and they do not fear people very much. Attacking folks is not common with the big boys, however. (I have not heard of an attack on a person in the wilderness areas, but a small child was attacked here in town earlier this spring.)

"Packing" is the norm in the campground. I am not sure it's family related. We have two known packs I have seen.. this pack last nite was not in the area we normally see them in. I have had singles near.. I suspect they have figured out I have a weak and older dog and they are plotting. Her days are numbered as is, but this is NOT how I want her to go.

They will "Cut" a loose dog by sending one of the pack to distract it and draw it away from safety, then th group will take it from behind. I tell folks every weekend to leash and monitor their dogs, but there is always the dope that thinks it can't happen to him.

Carol, nice pics.. watch Jerry!

Old 09-02-2008, 11:31 PM   #16

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Harry.. I in no way feel they need to be removed, harassed or otherwise molested. They are part of nature and it's their backyard, not mine. I have no fear of them myself.. I would have been happy to sit and watch them quietly (And have many times)

I love the chatter.. it is very different when it comes up from the meadow than it is in town.

However, being that I had my dogs, I will be protective of them. I chose to remove them from danger instead of chasing the danger away, except when it was literally at my door.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:35 PM   #17

Name: Brandy
Thats some talented dogs...could they teach my husband and son that trick...either that or I'll trade ya

Quote:
I'm glad I wasn't there. I positively hate coyotes. [b]I'd have my dogs pee in cup before I let them outside with coyotes around. It's scary that they were barely afraid of you. They've probably been living off things other campers left around all summer and now there's no one left. No wonder the tenters left!

Bobbie
Old 09-02-2008, 11:56 PM   #18

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Arizona
Quote:
The coyotes at the campground are different than the ones you see in populated areas. They behave differently, boler... they are truely wild, not ones living in a 'hood.

I grew up in Texas and on a ranch in the Oklahoma panhandle, not L.A.

Pat
Old 09-03-2008, 12:10 AM   #19

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
In everyway I understand, I was taking the opportunity your subject opened up to speak in behalf of this creature here, in no way do I direct my comments to any single person, I have around the camp fire tried to calm my companion campers and educate them about this important member of the desert. I would be in everyway concerned in the situation you describe...thank you for bringing up your post so I might speak...I am glad more people out there enjoy nature on her terms.

Sincerely
Harry

Quote:
Harry.. I in no way feel they need to be removed, harassed or otherwise molested. They are part of nature and it's their backyard, not mine. I have no fear of them myself.. I would have been happy to sit and watch them quietly (And have many times)

I love the chatter.. it is very different when it comes up from the meadow than it is in town.

However, being that I had my dogs, I will be protective of them. I chose to remove them from danger instead of chasing the danger away, except when it was literally at my door.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:27 AM   #20

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Arizona
I forgot to include this quote:

Quote:
Originally posted by Gina D.
Patrick, they are checking squirrels for the plague. It wiped out the squirrels here several years ago. I have heard west nile is an issue with them as well. They are dropping like flies in my hood
Thanks. I was wondering what they were looking for, but plague did came to mind. I'd just not heard (in the news) of chipmunks being vectors. The chips were all that we saw captured.

Pat
Old 02-12-2009, 04:27 PM   #21

Name: Roberta
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
California
I'm late responding to this but this is an excellent post, thoughtful and well written. Thanks.

Quote:
I am sorry to hear coyotes bother some so much, I have known people that do have issues with these wild creatures...In no way do I want to in this post to accuse anyone here on this board of impropriety or lack of discerning empathy but I would like to post my view and avoid being preachy...

<snip>
Harry
Old 02-12-2009, 06:31 PM   #22

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
Quote:
When the coyotes are gone, are we really going to be better off with out them?
When everything else is dead and gone, there will still be coyotes! They are the most adaptable creature on the planet, and range from South America to Northern Canada. Cunning and intelligent.
One only has to look to Yellowstone, the wolves tried to wipe them out, what has the coyote done to survive? Moved closer to the buildings and people where the wolves don't tread.

A dog can stand it's own with a coyote, some times , and I have witnessed it many times, coyotes will coax a dog out only to play and explore one another. And occasionaly kill one or the other. Now wolves are a different story! THey have killed tens dozens, of ranch dogs, pets and hunting dogs here in Wyoming in the few short years they have been released. You rarely hear of a coyote killed dog. Now coyote killed cats, well that is another story!
Old 02-12-2009, 09:37 PM   #23

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
Your comments about the coyote playing with the dogs reminds me of a family of foxes we have along the railroad tracks heading out of town. I see them from time to time when I'm walking Jobi, and she has chased one of the foxes before. However, I have two friends who regularly jog out there with one of their dogs. For the last few years the male fox has come out to meet the dog and they run around and play in the field and over the tracks until my friends get pretty far ahead, then the dog leaves the fox and hurries to catch up with them. During certain times of the year there's both a male and female fox and the three of them will play together. If you say coyotes do it to, maybe it's not that unusual. The fox sure is beautiful--and his tail is something else!
Old 02-13-2009, 05:56 AM   #24

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Florida
Quote:
We live in town (city of 40,000-ish) and coyotes have started showing up at night in our older neighborhood, which is nowhere near any woods. Our back yard is fenced, but I'm bringing the dogs in earlier in the evening!
Sandra
Sandra, I hate to change the subject some but how did you print that logo onto your spare tire cover, or did you buy it with the logo "Traveling Light" already on it? I like it!
Old 02-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #25

Trailer: Casita

Just a note on nature neighbors like coyotes.
I have a house in a PJ forest that backs up against 100,00 acres of BLM cliffs and plateaus, and National Monument. I have no neighbors closer than 1/8 mile... critters are everywhere. You name them we have them. Deer all over the place this time of year etc.

The coyotes are back after a plague of distemper wiped them out five years ago. Rabbits divided a hundred fold and now the coyotes and bob cats and bald eagles are feasting. I saw a mother coyote with a deer haunch as big a she was (probably road kill) dragging it up the wash to her den. The pups she is feeding will come out in the spring and sit on a hill next to me and begin to howl and yip at 4:00 AM every morning. In the hot summer days the pups come up to my bird bath and tip it over so they can get a drink... ten feet outside my window. I just sit and watch them. They will hunt together for awhile then go their own way.

All this to say nature will deal the coyotes another bad hand one year soon and they will again disappear and the rabbits will come back and take over the place and...

That's about it.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:03 AM   #26

Trailer: 1998 Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Eglyntine')
Strangely enough, earlier today my 92 year old father was telling me a story about the ranch we were driving past. Seems back in the 1930's he used to hunt there after work. He would build a tiny fire under a tree. After a little while, the coyotes would come in to the area of the fire to see what was going on. Once he was sure they were near, he would turn out his lead dog, followed by his other dogs once the lead began to sound off that it had found coyote trail....

He used a campfire to attract the coyotes.

It struck me as interesting to read your experience of coyotes coming to a fire, also.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:43 AM   #27

Name: Jen
Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Here on California's Central Coast I've sat across the fire from coyotes. They do seem curious about the fire, not necessarily our food. We don't have a dog, and I haven't seen the coyotes near our fire since we began bringing along children who tend to move unpredictably and make strange sounds. (Our kids are normal, but coyotes apparently don't think so.)

JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote