Travel Heads up/reminder - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2007, 11:10 AM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
This does not YET apply to egg travelers, but it will within a year.

Get your passports taken care of if you are a frequent traveler between the US and Canada/Mexico.

Air passport requirements in effect now.

Getting a passport is reasonably hassle free, but if you start now, you'll be fine for the Jan 08 deadline.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:34 AM   #2

Trailer: 1975 Boler 13 ft
If you are flying into Mexico you need a passport as of yesterday.
Dan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:43 AM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Yes, currently, the requirement is for air transportation only.

It will apply to ground crossing next year at this time.

I tried to fit my Burro in the overhead once.. it ALMOST fit, but.. no go

I have a passport, but for those that don't, now is the time to get it done.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:58 AM   #4

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
Quote:
I tried to fit my Burro in the overhead once.. it ALMOST fit, but.. no go
I think I was right behind you that day...I was not a happy camper.
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:34 PM   #5

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
For those of you who are thinking about obtaining your first passport, but don't know about the time involved to do it, this is from the State Department passport site:

Quote:
After you apply - You will receive your passport: Ordinarily, within 6 weeks. However, processing times can vary depending on workload and occasional unforeseen circumstances such as natural disasters. During busier times, such as the summer travel season, we encourage customers to expedite their applications if traveling in less than 8 weeks.
Further info can be found at www.travel.state.gov

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: The view from here is "The line forms here" ??? The Canadian Imigration Dept is "PAST PORT" 21,000 more applications per day than usual and we all know that only one person works in that office Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
In the good side, once I began using my passport into BC, the time to get passed through went down by at least half. Ron Mayo
Quote:
Hi: The view from here is "The line forms here" ??? The Canadian Imigration Dept is "PAST PORT" 21,000 more applications per day than usual and we all know that only one person works in that office Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Caution, caution, caution...commercial coming at you! I have no affiliation or personal knowledge of the following...just thought some might find it of use

A perfect passport pic for pennies
Ten years is a long time to live with a passport picture you don't like. But how often have you spent $8 or more to get photographed by an amateur, thought it looked awful but didn't want to complain or pay to retake it? Try doing it yourself for the cost of one print.

Name:   image001.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  7.4 KB

All you need is a digital camera and a computer. The Web site ePassportPhoto formats photos to the right size for passports (http://www.epassportphoto.com/). What the user has to do is:
Take a picture of yourself against a white background, preferably from the chest or waist up. You can then crop the photo so that your head and neck fit into the space. The site has lots of tips and full instructions.
Upload the photo to your computer and then to ePassportPhoto.com. It will take you through the steps to upload the photo to its site, giving you the choice of 2 x 2 (for U.S.) or the size for European standards.
The site will immediately create six 2 x 2 images in a 4 x 6 size.
Print it yourself or send it to a local shop. One 4 x 6 photo costs 19 cents at Walgreens.
ePassportPhoto is free to users. It makes its money from advertising (it encourages photoprinting through Snapfish).
However, it will not ask you to register or provide personal details.
Here is the official criteria for U.S. passport photos. You need two identical ones.
- Taken within the past 6 months, showing current appearance
- Color
- Full face, front view with a plain white or off-white background
- Between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head
- Taken in normal street attire
- Uniforms should not be worn in photographs except religious attire that is worn daily.
- Do not wear a hat or headgear that obscures the hair or hairline.
- If you normally wear prescription glasses, a hearing device, wig or similar articles, they should be worn for your picture.
- Dark glasses or nonprescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless you need them for medical reasons. A medical certificate may be required.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Take yourself pics are a no go in Canada.....have to be taken by professioal photographer and costs are about 17-18 bucks......the wait in the Winnipeg passport office can run to 6 hours unless you get your paper work on line and then go to office ....(we waited 4 1/2 hrs to get my wife`s.)......doing it online and then taking it to the office takes about 20 minutes or less at the office....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:18 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
giving you the choice of 2 x 2 (for [b]U.S.)

Here is the official criteria for [b]U.S. passport photos.
Quote:
Take yourself pics are a no go in Canada
Good point Benny
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:34 AM   #11

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
And back in the 'old days' not so many years ago, passport photos had to be black and white, 2"x2" and on a specific weight of paper that was very thin. I printed a bazillion of them. Then, when they began accepting color prints, Polaroids were the print of choice. Now, you send your prints in, they're scanned, and printed ON the passport itself, and then laminated over. It makes no difference how they're printed or on what. How times change!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:59 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
While do-it-yourself is not an option in Canada, it shouldn't cost anywhere near $17. Canadian Automobile Association (the AAA in Canada, for example Alberta Motor Association) members are entitled to free passport photos, and the nearest camera store to my office does them for about $10. If the few dollars matters, shop around.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:53 PM   #13

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
If you have a digital camera and a decent photo printer, do your own. I prepared photos for our passports. All you have to do read and understand the specifications. They don't use your photo, they just copy it on to the passport.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote