Travel Tips/Info - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2019, 06:53 AM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Travel Tips/Info

We are about to make a 2400 mi trip from Spokane Wa to Buffalo NY to pick up a Hymer Touring GT camper that we bought. What we are looking for is suggestions on sites we may want to see, alternative routes around big cities, as well as great camping areas for tent camping. I'm planning on taking all of our camping gear to fill out the new camper plus a small tent to stay in on the trip East. Unfortunately since we will be using a tent Walmart and other parking lots won't be an option. We are planning the trip now so any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:30 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If you have a passport, I’d take the northern route through upper Michigan and back down through Ontario to New York.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:05 AM   #3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
If you have a passport, I’d take the northern route through upper Michigan and back down through Ontario to New York.
Are you suggesting we take the ferry. It is 2 1/2 hours long and very expensive. We were looking at that route but as those of you who know me know I have a rescue dog who barks at everyone. I can't imagine going through customs and trying to talk with Mr Barker in the background lol.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:05 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
No ferry required. You cross a bridge into Canada at Sault Ste. Marie at the eastern tip of the upper peninsula, drive around the north side of Lake Huron, through Sudbury and Toronto, and cross another bridge back into the US at Niagara Falls/Buffalo. Should be able to find a nice campground if desired, though the actual driving distance in Canada can be done in a long day. It’s definitely shorter and less congested than going around south of the Great Lakes. Cooler and better scenery, too.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Route.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	130154

Dogs do require vaccination certificates at the border. There are other restrictions (produce, firearms), but we passed in and out last month with little more than a couple of questions and a good look at our faces and passports. Far less hassle than TSA at the airport.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:13 AM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Are you suggesting we take the ferry. It is 2 1/2 hours long and very expensive. We were looking at that route but as those of you who know me know I have a rescue dog who barks at everyone. I can't imagine going through customs and trying to talk with Mr Barker in the background lol.
I was going to take a ferry on my northern route but when I researched it I found that I would have to leave my dog alone.. just be sure to see what the K-9 policy is and make sure it works for you.

Are you traveling solo? That makes it a challage with the dog to be sure. Most campgrounds have a rule against leaving pets unattended but if they are quiet and safe (not at risk from weather, etc) then it can be done. But anytime you have to conduct business, with Customs or anywhere, will be difficult, not to mention buying groceries, doing laundry etc.

You might consider a subscription to RV Trip Wizard or at least look at their demo. While most or all of the info on the app can be found elsewhere for free, this tool brings it all together in a convenient way and has the ability to find campgrounds within a user set distance or time of travel along with user defined filters. I had it for a year and it was well worth the price to help me plan my trip last summer of almost 3400 miles in 30 days with 18 stops (just me and the dog BTW). I did not renew it because I was not planning any trips this year that required such extensive planning, but when I get the itch for another month long venture, I will try it again.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:39 AM   #6

Registry
Not solo I have the wife with me. I was just checking to see if people who drive through the area fairly often would have stops they consider must see attractions. Of course we'll run up to Niagara Falls while we are there, just wondering about other attractions along the way. Plus we don't want to go where people feel it is unsafe.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:32 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Might consider heading to Cooperstown ( baseball hall of fame)
Finger lakes ( a wine area that rivals Napa Valley)
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:02 AM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Niagara Falls on the US side is worth a glance, but that is about it. Canadian side is nicer. I would also go through the UP of MI. If you have the time, I might dip down into WY and SD, Yellowstone, Devil's Tower, Mt Rushmore, Black Hills, etc.

One huge advantage of the northern route is you avoid Chicago. On the way back, towing a brand new trailer, Chicago traffic can be difficult.

I'd focus on sites you may not see again for a long time. Yellowstone is not that far from Spokane. But the UP of MI is, along with the Mackinac bridge, Mackinac Island, Copper Harbor, MI, Door County, WI, Traverse City, MI, etc. The Lake Superior Circle tour is very nice too. You could do half of the circle tour on the way out, and the other half on the way back. Just a matter of how much time you have. Note the places I mentioned are not right next to each other.

Kind of lost me on the ferry comment. Do a google route, add way points.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:18 AM   #9

Registry
I'd love to do the upper part of Michigan however we now have a new "fly in the jam". I have all my paperwork from Sicard and was planning on taking it to the DMV and registering and licensing it before we pick it up. Unfortunately "DUH" the DMV informed me that they can't register or license it until it goes through customs and they do their paperwork. On top of that Washington only has 3 day travel permits that are good in Wa, Id, and parts of Montana. Looks like I'll be on the quick route back and taking my chances with a Wa permit. We'll do our sight seeing on the way there lol.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:21 AM   #10

Registry
"Kind of lost me on the ferry comment. Do a google route, add way points."

The wife is doing the particulars and that is an option she chose. I believe it was from Wisconsin to Michigan so we could bypass Chicago.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:30 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Might consider heading to Cooperstown ( baseball hall of fame)
Finger lakes ( a wine area that rivals Napa Valley)
I've always wanted to head to Cooperstown. Thanks
Old 07-05-2019, 09:13 PM   #12

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
I'd love to do the upper part of Michigan however we now have a new "fly in the jam". I have all my paperwork from Sicard and was planning on taking it to the DMV and registering and licensing it before we pick it up. Unfortunately "DUH" the DMV informed me that they can't register or license it until it goes through customs and they do their paperwork. On top of that Washington only has 3 day travel permits that are good in Wa, Id, and parts of Montana. Looks like I'll be on the quick route back and taking my chances with a Wa permit. We'll do our sight seeing on the way there lol.
You might check with Sicard; hopefully they've exported before, or maybe you need an import broker? You're taking possession in Canada or New York, it would seem you'd pick up your "temporary" in NY, and they issue 30-day permits. I know very little about importing, but for what it's worth within the states, when I picked up my Scamp at the factory, they had already purchased for me a Minnesota 30-day temporary permit. A week or two later I went down to my local Washington State DOL and paid sales tax, etc., just to get it done.

I bet you'll find a way around the three-day cross-country option!
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:53 AM   #13

Name: Judy
Trailer: scamp
Minnesota
some of us who live in MN think it is worth visiting Itasca State Park to walk across the Mississippi River at its source.
JudyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:33 AM   #14

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I’m assuming US 2 which takes you through Williston, ND. Interesting to see all the oil well drilling stuff and anything else related to that. I ditto on the Michigan UP. An alternative to the north side of Lake Huron would be to cross the straits at Mackinac and follow the Huron shore to Port Huron and cross into Canada there. Whichever way you go have fun.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:03 AM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
The gasoline in Canada is more expensive than in the USA. The tolls in Illinois, Indiana turnpike, Ohio and New York Thruway even out the difference somewhat. Speed limits are slower in Canada. I do not find Chicago, Toledo, Cleveland and Buffalo all that challenging. The down side is an accident cleanup that can leave you setting or at a crawl for an hour ornBetter especially at Chicago. Cutting around big cities on smaller state highways is scenic but slower. Be careful on local speed limits going through the small towns. We prefer to eat
Lunch in rest stops along the highway and stay out of fast food (ain’t no such thing anymore) joints. Tolls Increase with the number of axles towed. If you’re eligible make sure you get a senior pass good for US owned properties. You’ll get you money back many times over if you get into the habit of using it. A lot of small towns have a little campground in a city park. We find them restful, well maintained and reasonably priced for the most part.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:31 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker View Post
You might check with Sicard; hopefully they've exported before, or maybe you need an import broker? You're taking possession in Canada or New York, it would seem you'd pick up your "temporary" in NY, and they issue 30-day permits. I know very little about importing, but for what it's worth within the states, when I picked up my Scamp at the factory, they had already purchased for me a Minnesota 30-day temporary permit. A week or two later I went down to my local Washington State DOL and paid sales tax, etc., just to get it done.

I bet you'll find a way around the three-day cross-country option!
I actually looked at that 30 day pass on the New York DMV website a week or so ago. I then tried to call to ask a few questions and was on hold for 38 minutes when I hung up. As we didn't have time to have it mailed to us from NY we are planning on just showing up at a local office. One of the questions we had was the insurance requirement. Our vehicle insurance covers anything we tow. We are not sure if that is good enough for NY as proof of insurance is a requirement for the permit.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:49 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
The gasoline in Canada is more expensive than in the USA. The tolls in Illinois, Indiana turnpike, Ohio and New York Thruway even out the difference somewhat. Speed limits are slower in Canada. I do not find Chicago, Toledo, Cleveland and Buffalo all that challenging. The down side is an accident cleanup that can leave you setting or at a crawl for an hour ornBetter especially at Chicago. Cutting around big cities on smaller state highways is scenic but slower. Be careful on local speed limits going through the small towns. We prefer to eat
Lunch in rest stops along the highway and stay out of fast food (ain’t no such thing anymore) joints. Tolls Increase with the number of axles towed. If you’re eligible make sure you get a senior pass good for US owned properties. You’ll get you money back many times over if you get into the habit of using it. A lot of small towns have a little campground in a city park. We find them restful, well maintained and reasonably priced for the most part.
Iowa Dave
Thanks for the info. The only one I'm really concerned about is Chicago. I have read online that the best times to smoothly get through Chicago is between 3-5 am. Do you know of any campground immediately outside of Chicago where we can get up early and scoot?
Old 07-14-2019, 05:53 PM   #18

Name: jack
Trailer: Bigfoot
Arizona
Something you might want to avoid (or check out depending on your tastes) is the Sturgis motorcycle rally in South Dakota in early August. I naively showed up to register my trailer in SD and found 450,000 Harleys (probably 600K individuals) raging around. A bizarre gathering of posers and pretenders with their 'official Harley leathers and do-rags trying to be bad-asses for a week. I think 5 had mufflers on their 'hogs'.
tidewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:31 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidewater View Post
Something you might want to avoid (or check out depending on your tastes) is the Sturgis motorcycle rally in South Dakota in early August. I naively showed up to register my trailer in SD and found 450,000 Harleys (probably 600K individuals) raging around. A bizarre gathering of posers and pretenders with their 'official Harley leathers and do-rags trying to be bad-asses for a week. I think 5 had mufflers on their 'hogs'.
Been there done that lol. My Harley days are behind me quickened by the 20 years I lived in Vegas. 110 degrees out equals about 140 on the pavement. That along with a city that serves free alcohol 24/7/365 does not make for a great riding experience. I got tired of dodging idiots. Never owned a do rag or leathers except for one old jacket in my life. You won't find me in Sturgis, I HATE crowds especially drunk crowds.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:47 PM   #20

Registry
Well we're sitting at Lake Erie State Park in sweltering heat and humidity. No one told us they were going to have the worst heat wave ever during our stay. On the way here we stopped at Battle of the Little Bighorn National Monument in Southeast Montana. I'd already been there but nice to reaquant myself. Next we dropped down and checked out Mt Rushmore. Believe it or not I'd never seen it in person. Drove on over to LeClaire Iowa and checked out the Antique Archaeology store. The pickers weren't there but cool stuff to look at. After that we made a dash to Elkhart Indiana. Didn't do much but sleep and then cruised into Lake Erie St Park. It's a pretty nice little place to hang out for a couple days. It's been a long time since I've tent camped so we'll see. Talked with the delivery coordinator for Sicard this morning and all is good for delivery approx 10-10:30 Monday morning.