Travel to Mexico??? Read This First - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
"a fenced compound is good for everyone."
WOW, that's scary.....

Thank You for supporting my comment. It sounds like what you are saying is that the "fenced compound" is to protect you more from the Police than the perps (who may be one and the same......)

Gotta say, I'm not really interested in understanding "why", just knowing what "is", is enough to stay away.

It's sorta like when you see a neighborhood in the U.S. where all of the houses have bars on the windows. They're not there to keep everyone inside..... it's a clue to look elsewhere.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #16

Trailer: Bigfoot
Manitoba
Some are happy to go, and do so. Some do not wish to go, and do not.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #17

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
We want to haul the ParkLiner behind us and explore the North American continent when we retire, but that does not include Mexico. No way I would ever venture south of the border. I don't need any more excitement than I already have!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #18

California
Wishes.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A View Post
Some are happy to go, and do so. Some do not wish to go, and do not.
--------------------------------------------------

And others wish to go and still do not.....

As I made a number of trips into Mexico in the 60's to 80's, I am well aware of the enjoyment such a trip provides and still "want" to go.

However, unlike many past adventures in love, my head has over ruled my heart, and I will forgo further travel down south for the duration.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The last time we were near the border near Deming, NM fellow campers said you can go down to the small Mexican border town but if there's no locals on the streets leave. They know when there's going to be trouble, actually they said a shoot out.

The same reason it makes sense to stay out of parts of Chicago - ask Leroy Brown.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #20

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
The same reason it makes sense to stay out of parts of Chicago - ask Leroy Brown.
LOL how true. My job required me to travel on my own to many big NA cities as well as to a number of different countries. I can honestly say that there are a number of cities in NA (including the one I live in) that I would not walk down certain areas of or even drive through certain areas on my own -day or night. It would scare me more than walking through any of the places I have stayed in Mexico or other poor countries I have visited outside of North America.

Funny enough the one and only really scary incident I have had in my travels on my own took place in the middle of the Hilton Hotel lobby in downtown Antwerp at 8 AM. A $300 a night hotel - corporate rate. I was robbed and as it would happen there were at least a dozen or more men in suites sitting in the lobby enjoying their morning coffees who sat and watched it happen and not one of them made a move to help. Pretty sure their friends and family would all say they are all fine outstanding members of society though - if the price of their suits is an indication.

The simple fact is millions of people go to Mexico for vacations each year and they have no problems. But when a tourist is murdered or robbed it makes headline news all across NA. Tourists are killed or seriously injured or robbed in the US as well as Canada all the time but it rarely makes the head lines of every major paper in the US and or Canada or both. You have to ask yourself why is that?

When friends ask me about what it is like to visit a country such a Mexico or even poor countries I have been to and if I am not scared? I ask them how many people have been murdered or robbed in our own city in the last week? Does that stop you from going into town for dinner or to a pub for drinks? Apparently not, as the restaurants and bars are pretty darn full.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #21

California
And Yes, millions do travel to Mexico every year, and those that do venture beyond the Frontier Zone usually do so at 35,000 feet in the air. And stay in "Safe Zones" when they are on the ground.

But enough opinion. If anyone is seriously interested in taking an RV into Mexico, be sure you read the latest updates from the U.S. Department of State on this site: Mexico

This rises well above opinion and spot experiences.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #22

British Columbia
Registry
There are a number of good resources for info for those who may be considering heading to Mexico with their trailers.

One website is called mexicomike.com Mexico Mike - On the Road in Mexico since 1968. Mike Church and his wife have written a book called the Travelers Guide to Mexican Camping that is another good resource.

Another website maintained by a well seasoned Mexico traveler Bill Bell who has been 25 years of experience driving through Mexico. He was formally a councillor with our local municipality.
His website is called ontheroadin.com - On the Road in Mexico
Old 11-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #23

California
And if we could all get 25 years of experience downloaded into our brains, as in The Matrix, we would be safer, but still not safe when making solo road trips into Mexico.

A lot has changed I the past 25 years, and these writers should know and explain that issue as well.

Just read the link in Post #21
Old 11-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #24

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
A lot has changed I the past 25 years, and these writers should know and explain that issue as well.
Yes they should and both do... which is why their experience both past and present is of valve to those who may actually be considering going.