Travel to Mexico??? Read This First - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #1

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Travel to Mexico??? Read This First

Foe those that are interested in a trip to Mexico, this story might give you cause to rethink your decision.

Yes, I know that a lot of Americans travel down south and return with all of their body parts still intact, it's just food for thought when going to a place where the local police are often part of the problem they are supposed to protect us from.

I only live 100 miles from the border, and I no longer travel south as I did for many years.

In Mexico, '12 kidnappings per hour'

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Boy I hope they get this solved before I get off the cruise ship next March.
They can try to ransome me but there is no one to answer or pay out.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #3

As long as you keep your Scamp parked onboard the cruise ship you are taking you should be just fine....

Old 11-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #4

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I'm here in Mexico for the winter.

It is well known that boarder area's can be a problem.

The Baja is probably one of the most safe area's beyond the boarder.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post

Darn I hate you once again!!!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Remember to take with a grain of salt

There is this:

Mexico

But then one sees this:

Secure Border Intel - Nogales

We visited Nogales, AZ earlier this year, but didn't even take our passports so we wouldn't be tempted to go in to Nogales, Sonora. Nogales, AZ has about 21,000 inhabitants. Nogales, Sonora has 220,000. City size alone tells the story.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC2337.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	407.6 KB
ID:	66485

That is Mexico to the right of the border fence visible on the hill.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
There is this:

But then one sees this:

Secure Border Intel - Nogales
Yup and then there is:

Police ID man who shot Canadian Border Officer

and then this:
Sumas Border Shooting tries to Cross into Canada

Both events took place at our local boarder crossings between Washington State and BC within the last year!

Sadly bad events are not restricted to Mexico.

I do still travel to Mexico most years and can honestly say I feel just as safe there as I do here. Have several camping buddies who spend their winters in Mexico and they would not be any happier or feel any safer if they were winter in Arizona or California - they know this as they have tried both.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #8

Quote:

It is well known that boarder area's can be a problem.

The Baja is probably one of the most safe area's beyond the boarder.
r---------------------------------------

I don't know if the crine statistics agree with that. I used to travel well into Baja but No Mo....

The last time we went down there: In Ensenada, usually thought as a safe place due for tourism, our pick-up as broken into, the in-bed storage box pried open with a crowbar and everything worth more than 5 centavos, including the spare tire from under the truck and the jack was taken.

All this while parked on a main street, one block from the policia, and within 15 minutes after parking to eat. No body saw anything. Local police refused to take a report so we could claim the loss on our Mexican ins policy.

On another trip, on the hiway parallel to the toll road, a car ran off the toll road, flipped over in front of us and threw several of its occupants out of the vehicle. When we stopped to help they insisted to not call the Police and warned us that we could also be taken into custody because we saw the accident and might be blamed for causing it because we were Gringos.

Even most of the tourist areas now have well defined "Safe Zones" that you dare not venture beyond.. And road travel at night....fergetit

Old 11-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
r---------------------------------------

The last time we went down there: In Ensenada, usually thought as a safe place due for tourism, our pick-up as broken into, the in-bed storage box pried open with a crowbar and everything worth more than 5 centavos, including the spare tire from under the truck and the jack was taken.

All this while parked on a main street, one block from the policia, and within 15 minutes after parking to eat. No body saw anything. t
Whats the difference between that and the fact several people attending the big Oregon Gathering at Ballards Beach the year before last had their trucks and cars broken into and goods stolen while they slept - in a *very* full campground with trailers all very close around them?

Thats the reality of the world we now live in regardless of where you live there is crime.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #10

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Darn I hate you once again!!!
Sorry Carol but it is sunny here.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #11

British Columbia
Registry
Bob I do understand your point.

There are many Americans down here I talk with them all the time.
Yes things can happen as they do in the USA and Mexico is far poorer.

Gun violence in the USA is far higher than Canada as are many other crimes but is this a reason Canadians should avoid travel to the USA?

Maybe we Canadians are just not as smart as Americans.

I view Mexico as very much the wild west and people do need to be a bit careful but I'd have a bigger problem with many US cities that I would not go to.
I have been in most US states in the last 60 years.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Sorry Carol but it is sunny here.
Yea Yea Yea! I am just in the middle of buying a new tug so sadly I may have to forgo my annual pre Christmas dose of sun and margaritas this year
Old 11-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #13

The Difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Whats the difference between that and the fact several people attending the big Oregon Gathering at Ballards Beach the year before last had their trucks and cars broken into and goods stolen while they slept - in a *very* full campground with trailers all very close around them?

Thats the reality of the world we now live in regardless of where you live there is crime.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference is that the perps in Mexico were brazen enough to do it on a main street, in broad daylight and front of perhaps 50 other people on the street without concern. That that the local constabulary refused to take any interest in what happened suggested, as did the link I posted, that Law Enforcement In Mexico is often on the wrong side as well.

I years past I have stayed in campgrounds in Mexico that not only had fences with locked gates at night, I have been to a couple that stationed armed guards on the perimeter at night.

BTW: The U.S. Department of State also recommends against individual travel in Mexico outside of major cities and tourist centers. Basically that alone is good enough for me.

Now, if others in the campground incident mentioned had witnessed what was going on and just turned around and ignored it, shame on them. I am afraid that tells me more about the good guys than the bad guys.....

Old 11-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #14

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
---------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference is that the perps in Mexico were brazen enough to do it on a main street, in broad daylight and front of perhaps 50 other people on the street without concern. That that the local constabulary refused to take any interest in what happened suggested, as did the link I posted, that Law Enforcement In Mexico is often on the wrong side as well.

I years past I have stayed in campgrounds in Mexico that not only had fences with locked gates at night, I have been to a couple that stationed armed guards on the perimeter at night.

BTW: The U.S. Department of State also recommends against individual travel in Mexico outside of major cities and tourist centers. Basically that alone is good enough for me.

Now, if others in the campground incident mentioned had witnessed what was going on and just turned around and ignored it, shame on them. I am afraid that tells me more about the good guys than the bad guys.....
OK Bob
It is well known down here that everyone should be in a fenced compound.
Many reasons for this one if the local police want something they need a warrant to bother you. Yes that is right will they take the time probably not so a fenced compound is good for everyone.

It does take time to understand why things here are what they are.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #15

"a fenced compound is good for everyone."
WOW, that's scary.....

Thank You for supporting my comment. It sounds like what you are saying is that the "fenced compound" is to protect you more from the Police than the perps (who may be one and the same......)

Gotta say, I'm not really interested in understanding "why", just knowing what "is", is enough to stay away.

It's sorta like when you see a neighborhood in the U.S. where all of the houses have bars on the windows. They're not there to keep everyone inside..... it's a clue to look elsewhere.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #16

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Some are happy to go, and do so. Some do not wish to go, and do not.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #17

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
We want to haul the ParkLiner behind us and explore the North American continent when we retire, but that does not include Mexico. No way I would ever venture south of the border. I don't need any more excitement than I already have!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #18

Wishes.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A View Post
Some are happy to go, and do so. Some do not wish to go, and do not.
--------------------------------------------------

And others wish to go and still do not.....

As I made a number of trips into Mexico in the 60's to 80's, I am well aware of the enjoyment such a trip provides and still "want" to go.

However, unlike many past adventures in love, my head has over ruled my heart, and I will forgo further travel down south for the duration.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The last time we were near the border near Deming, NM fellow campers said you can go down to the small Mexican border town but if there's no locals on the streets leave. They know when there's going to be trouble, actually they said a shoot out.

The same reason it makes sense to stay out of parts of Chicago - ask Leroy Brown.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
The same reason it makes sense to stay out of parts of Chicago - ask Leroy Brown.
LOL how true. My job required me to travel on my own to many big NA cities as well as to a number of different countries. I can honestly say that there are a number of cities in NA (including the one I live in) that I would not walk down certain areas of or even drive through certain areas on my own -day or night. It would scare me more than walking through any of the places I have stayed in Mexico or other poor countries I have visited outside of North America.

Funny enough the one and only really scary incident I have had in my travels on my own took place in the middle of the Hilton Hotel lobby in downtown Antwerp at 8 AM. A $300 a night hotel - corporate rate. I was robbed and as it would happen there were at least a dozen or more men in suites sitting in the lobby enjoying their morning coffees who sat and watched it happen and not one of them made a move to help. Pretty sure their friends and family would all say they are all fine outstanding members of society though - if the price of their suits is an indication.

The simple fact is millions of people go to Mexico for vacations each year and they have no problems. But when a tourist is murdered or robbed it makes headline news all across NA. Tourists are killed or seriously injured or robbed in the US as well as Canada all the time but it rarely makes the head lines of every major paper in the US and or Canada or both. You have to ask yourself why is that?

When friends ask me about what it is like to visit a country such a Mexico or even poor countries I have been to and if I am not scared? I ask them how many people have been murdered or robbed in our own city in the last week? Does that stop you from going into town for dinner or to a pub for drinks? Apparently not, as the restaurants and bars are pretty darn full.