Travel Trailer & Evacuations - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
We live in an area of SoCal subject to frequent evacuations because of fires. Someone over on the Casita Club used their Casita to camp out in after being evacuated last year. I believe they had their trailer stored away from home, so I don't know if they were pressed for time to pack, hook up, etc. We have our trailer stored at home so our situation is a little different. Seems like it would be a good idea to have some stuff packed in the trailer during the fire season, which is now, so all we had to do is hitch up and leave. Anyone else in a similar situation? Any suggestions on how to prepare?
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:50 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I lived in Crestline in the San Bernardinos.

Since 2003 I have "bugged out" a total of 4 times. 3 for fire, one for flood. Several unofficial times due to snow as well.

Yep, if you are in an evac path, best to keep it stocked with stuff for the first nite. You will find that since you are using the rig as a place to LIVE temporarily that you will most likely be in an area where groceries and wal mart are easily accessible.

If your rig is at home, you just have to be aware that you may not get to it in time if you are at work etc. Don't panic, but pay attention and leave before an evac is called. You get a sense of if it is inevitable or not..

Have a plan on where to go. I went to an RV park in Anaheim that was close to work, and always kept that as my destination.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:52 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
We live in an area of SoCal subject to frequent evacuations because of fires. Someone over on the Casita Club used their Casita to camp out in after being evacuated last year. I believe they had their trailer stored away from home, so I don't know if they were pressed for time to pack, hook up, etc. We have our trailer stored at home so our situation is a little different. Seems like it would be a good idea to have some stuff packed in the trailer during the fire season, which is now, so all we had to do is hitch up and leave. Anyone else in a similar situation? Any suggestions on how to prepare?
Hi
I agree with you. We have our campers at home. In summer it is always ready to move and live in if a situation occuried and we had to get away fast.
In winter our unit is winterized but full propane and ready to use if needed due to storms etc. Gen set and spare gas are almost a must up here.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:31 AM   #4

Trailer: 95 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft
We live on the Outer Banks & have used our Camper to leave the Island when storms are coming. We just have to make sure we have enough time to get way inland to be safe.. We have the 2 Macaws, so most shelters won't let Animals in, but we have our little home away from home. I took out 1 side seat & built a cage in for the to sleep in.. So anywhere we park we call home... We use our camper to go to Virginia on shopping trips & Doctors' visits, so wife always has some stuff in there ready to go, we never put our camper away, it sits in the drive next to the boat... It's the main reason we got it & we hate motels when traveling, rather sleep with my own BUGS, if you know what I mean... Travel safe & Live well
kconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
I keep mine completely packed up always, including foodstuffs, with trailer-specific items. I even store the generator in the trailer's bathroom. On a trip, I just throw in a small duffel bag for my few clothes & ditty bag, maybe add a fishing rod & reel or two and I am gone. I even keep all my hiking stuff in the Casita. I have not used the Casita in a hurricane evacuation yet, quite fortunately, I should add, but I would certainly consider it were a cat 4 or 5 to approach. Fortunately, this little area of central Florida, Atlantic side, has not had a REAL one in many, many years, other than just an occasional light brush almost every other year or so and i have never evacuated.. I'd like to keep it that way, too!
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:21 AM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
We are starting to store bottled drinking water in the trailer and try to maintain at least 4 gallons of it at all times. I was thinking that it might also be a good idea to have at least a half tank of water for toilet use. The tank is normally stored empty. There are some foodstuff always in the trailer but it's minimal. I probably should come up with an assortment of basic items and possibly rotate them to the house periodically. We're set for bedding and towels. Clothes would have to be something we gather on the run. Anything missing?

BTW, how long can you store water in those 1 gallon jugs available in the grocery store? Do they have a recommended shelf life?
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:08 AM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul CT13 ('Pearl')
The shelf life is about 6 months on the plastic jugs. The best is to get a 5 gallon jug fill it with tap water and add one cap full (one tablespoon) of plain bleach. Cycle the water every 6 months. DO NOT USE SCENTED BLEACH IT IS TOXIC!

This will be the cheapest route. Remember 1 gallon per person per day...more where it's hot.

You should always have a "bug out" kit. Keep a small one in your car. I keep my kit in the basement...tornadoes...in case I could be trapped. My kits are modified to mach the season and possible emergencies.

You are lucky you don't have to worry about freezing.

I work at the Red Cross and have frequent talks with our EMA.
Pat B Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 2003 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Peters
I've lived in earthquake country most of my life but never really worried about it until recently, when I find myself thinking about setting up the Scamp for earthquake preparedness. Where I am water is not an issue but clean is - there is some stuff called 'Pur' that is added to dirty water and makes it clean - bacteria, mud, bugs - everything. You can get it at Walmart, among other places. It's a powder and takes up very little room and is lightweight. I think the shelf life is 3 yrs. - that's better than 6 mo. for heavy, space-consuming bottled water. That and some freeze dried backpacking food as well as a camp stove, gas bottles, first aid kit, extra clothes, etc. The Scamp would be a good place to store that stuff and since it's parked on the street it wouldn't be liable to get flattened by a roof or a tree. 'They' keep talking about how the North Coast is overdue for 'the big one' so maybe I'd better get started on this project!

It seems like we all should have some sort of escape kit, no matter where we live. We either have floods, fires, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes - something! I don't lay awake at night waiting for an earthquake, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared!
Lynn Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I live in fire country although I've never had to evacuate. Knock on wood it's been years since we' ve had a major fire in the area. I do think about fire and having to evacuate. My Scamp is always packed and on the ready for a campout so evacuating would be easy.

I have a list of items on the house refrigerator to snatch up, if the time ever comes.

#1 is Lily
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #10

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
luckily, we don't live in a hurricane, tornado, fire or flood-prone area. however, we DO always leave the trillium ready to go, with water in jugs (2 4litre) clothes, some food, full propane tanks etc. our main concern in past years has been winter blizzards with the possibilities of power outages. our furnace in the trailer will keep us warm, and although in winter i don't leave the water actually in the trailer (because of freezing), i do leave it in the mudroom ready to go. we HAVE slept overnight in the trailer in the carport during a power outage and believe me, it was fabulous to have it available and to be warm!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote