Traveling/Camping alone - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-17-2018, 02:00 PM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Traveling/Camping alone

I lost my wife of almost 50 years. How are some of you widows and widowers managing to have fun traveling and/or camping alone? It’s really hard for me. She’s been gone for almost 5 years and I’m not having any fun alone. Advice?
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:45 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
I lost my wife of almost 50 years. How are some of you widows and widowers managing to have fun traveling and/or camping alone? It’s really hard for me. She’s been gone for almost 5 years and I’m not having any fun alone. Advice?
My suggestion is to get out an do it. Travel in the winter when retired folks are out and about. Go back to same places a few times at the same time you were there last year. Make new friends, male and female. Enjoy the company.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:46 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Two years yesterday my wife passed and only this year am I planning on going it alone without her.
I'd say if you choose the rallies with these things yould at least be around people with similar tastes etc and I'm sure some are widowed too.
When I think of all she did camping and how much she liked it, especially when we had the uhaul, I get sad knowing she won't be with me this go around with the compact jr.
I'm sure she'd love it though and want me to continue on in some capacity. So I'm gonna.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:50 PM   #4

Michigan
I go to the rally here in Michigan, have gone to Arizona every winter, have a few new friends. Have gone traveling alone, gone camping alone and it’s just not much fun without someone to share it with.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:14 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Not a widower but here are my recommendations.

I like urban camping where I can enjoy what the town has to offer. Being in the middle of nowhere by yourself is less fun. Look for camping clubs either where you live or via the Internet. There are plenty of widow/widower/single camping clubs out there.

I’d also look for local volunteer opportunities. I seek out opportunities to interact with people not my age. Share your knowledge and expertise and have fun too!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Bob, if traveling alone is not fun, I do not see much reason to travel... unless it is better than all the other things you can think to do. What has kept you persevering in travel up to now?

I am fine with going alone, but if I were not, my 2 choices would be:
A. stop traveling or
B. find (or hire) a companion.
The first is easy; the second requires meeting lots of people socially or else advertising.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:01 PM   #7

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
I'm single and travel alone. I've found that at almost every campground I've stayed at, people will come by and introduce themselves.

I'm fine by myself, so I usually don't get involved in social activity in the campground, but the opportunity always seems to be there.

I'm not saying there are lots of single women in every campground, but you will find a lot of couples your age who will be glad to have your company. You can always get a dog and walk around the campground a couple times a day. That seems to be a good way to meet a lot of people in a comfortable atmosphere.

Also, if you have any hobbies, don't be shy about them. Whether its fishing, reading, painting, hiking, or whatever, there are probably others in the campground that share your interest. Talk to the ranger, attendant, camp hosts, etc. and get some ideas from them.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:07 PM   #8

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Bob, I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you can find a way to enjoy RVing again if that's what you want to do. I'm wondering if you are a member of Escapees. They are such a supportive group of folks. A s a member, you can join any number of special interest groups within the Escapees community. From their website: "Escapees BOF groups share lifestyle interests such as boondocking, working on the road, disaster relief, biking and hiking, boomers, amateur radio, pet lovers, solos, and quilters, just to name a few! Expand your talents and share your knowledge. Whether you are a beginner or an expert, you are welcome. Join a BOF!" BOF by the way, stands for Birds of a Feather.

You might like the solos BOF group. I think they plan casual meet-ups and the like and since it's a group made up of other fellow solo travelers, you'd have something in common to talk about right from the get-go. Good luck!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:47 PM   #9
M_C

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
California
Rally

I strongly recommend attending a rally, there are quite a few in your situation, you will meet a lot of friendly and interesting people.
M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:25 AM   #10

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
In my own life I wasn't about to stop camping, I enjoyed it too much. I wound up being really, really active in my local Boy Scout troop. It was different travelling with 20-30 young men and their parents from the type of camping I wanted to do - 2 person wilderness backpack or canoe camping. Is there nothing at all you find enjoyable during the past 5 years? Maybe do things differently? Such as travelling via bus or train and staying at AYHI hostels? There is also the possibility you are clinically depressed and that is one reason why nothing is enjoyable. If you aren't depressed and truly want to give up camping type activities it's a free country. What interests do/did you have that couldn't be fitted in because of lack of time or money? You might investigate a little further. If absolutely nothing in your life is pleasurable it might be time to speak with an Licensed Clinical Social Worker or other counselor.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:36 AM   #11

Michigan
It’s been 5 years since I lost her. I have a sometime travel companion but she has serious health issues and lives 300 miles away. Can’t go as often as I want to go. I’ve been in Arizona every winter. Have been to 8 trailer rallies and going again this year to the Michigan one. One bright spot is that my 53 year old son and I are going to Yosemite in late June. I guess I’m just feeling sorry for myself. Not enjoying the 3 inches of sleet we got the other day.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:12 PM   #12

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Hi Bob! We met you a few years back at your sons house when you showed us your EggCamper. I can honestly say we had a great long chat with you about all kinds of things in life and we both thoroughly enjoyed our time talking to you! Your one of those people that you walk away from saying "there was a real genuine good person right there". I'm betting if you strike up a bit of a conversation with most any person in the campground, you would have a great evening of conversation by the fire and new friends! If your ever coming thru Cincinnati Ohio area your welcome by anytime!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:39 PM   #13

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Understandable. Anyone can have a down day now and then. Cold, snow, and gray MI skies contribute to the feeling.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:38 PM   #14

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
Go to the local senior centers and offer to give a talk all about RVing including the topic of solo RV travel. You will soon have lots of choices of companionship for your trips.

It might be a bit nerve wracking to give a talk but it is an excellent way to have people with a common interest come up to you and have them start one-on-one conversations.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:27 AM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
welcome bob

at 76 I still have my wife she is younger than me but we take special interest when we see either a single man or woman camping alone. we always stop by to introduce ourselves and we always learn things.

once we at our trout fishing state park a woman pulls up in a van a safe place I think certainly harder to break into and cheap camping. Anyway she was from Vermont and we learned some new things and bought some maple syrup from her.

we didn't pry into her personal life but she was on quite an extended tour of our nearby states then back home.

best of luck to you and welcome

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:49 AM   #16

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
i lost my wife over twenty years ago. when that happened there were 3 teenagers that needed most of my attention. now they're grown and gone. i filled the void with a loving puppy who became my traveling companion. for eight years we never spent a night apart. last year winston developed cancer and passed quickly. after a year of mourning i'm about ready to put myself up for adoption by another canine. i suppose my message to you is don't give up. if you enjoy camping as much as i do you gotta keep on keeping on... the pain of loss never goes away totally but it does get better.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:53 AM   #17

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
It strikes me that you like camping well enough but it was doing things with her that was the primary thing. You might not be happy doing anything until someone else kindles the same or similar feelings.

I’m not widowed nor divorced but I’ve had long term relationships and I liked the feeling of being part of the team, almost us against the world (not quite that adversarial..) I could put up with a lot of activities she liked if I could be with her. Camping is the not a cure-all for you and that’s fine. At least not with the way you feel now. No advice, just some empathy.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:12 AM   #18

Missouri
loniless

I should have said I truly know extreme lonlieness maybe getting out there as hard as it may be will truly help and be good for you.

If you have the equipment I would say go for it. Now we are both older and you know everyone in our family is well lets say busy!

we have taken up trouting lots of areas to see and meet new friends as we have already done. we are bank trouters so we tend to be able to visit people more!

we fish the Bennett springs in Mo. now I have made a facebook friend and we are going to Va. on a trout hunting expedition we didn't even know va. had trouts!

so many adventures out there and life is short for me! If I can swing it I want one more tenting trip to Europe!

bob
Old 04-19-2018, 06:20 AM   #19

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Best compliment you can give after the loss of a four legged friend is to head to a nearby shelter and adopt another. There are always great dogs that need a new family/friend/companion.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:26 AM   #20

Missouri
had to do it

Bill our all time favorite doggie swallowed a treble hook while we were out catfishing. there was no hope oh the vet said 5k might fix him at the u of vet school but doubtful.

we had to put him down we cried but we immediately went to the dog pound and got another. a great dog but she will never replace Bennett!

she is some sort of a jack russle mix not a large dog just right for us! dog pound dogs are just so thankful to be rescued they have an inner honesty about them is all I can say!

bob