Traveling Job Resources? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-16-2016, 02:53 PM   #1

Name: Matt
Trailer: Jayco
Texas
Traveling Job Resources?

Howdy everyone,*

I'm pretty young and make a meager living on writing and other odd jobs. I live in a fifth wheel but I'm working on finding more work that pays higher to take on so that I can start moving around more often. That's the point of a mobile home, right? I found this link that has a few park hosting jobs etc. >>>*Jobs with RV Spaces | CoolWorks.com

My question is, do any of y'all have any other resources you can share with me for finding work on the road, traveling job listings, tricks of the trade, etc? I'm too young to retire, and I know that's how a good part of the RVing community is able to travel the way they are. But there's also a ton of nomads out there working from the comfort of their home on wheels and I'm hoping y'all can share your knowledge!*

Cheers & Thanks in advance!
B
Pullnotpush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Matt. I think Chris and Cherie have this pretty much figured out. Check out this page: Younger Full Time RVers - Non-Retired & Working Remotely | Technomadia

I hope you find the information of value.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:49 PM   #3

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Walmart Distribution Centers provide work as you may find helpful , some have arrangements with campgrounds in the area for camping arrangements .
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:25 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Chris and Cherie also helped get the Xscapers rv online org get up and running - it's largely geared towards working/traveling younger folk.

Anne H
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:11 AM   #5

Name: Joe
Trailer: Someday
Oregon
We have a unique twist

I'm a lurker here, and don't own a frv YET, but we have a plan to accomplish our younger travels. Maybe it could work for you or others.

We are in year 2 of our three year plan. We are truck drivers. My wife and I. This is a second career for us as we were bored and disinterested in our former careers. As team drivers we make a tidy sum and and are in huge demand. We are running hard in year one and two and are throwing many thousands of money each month at our mortgage. Payoff is now less than 46000$. Should be eliminated in mid 2017. Then we will work six more months to fatten up the accounts, and then take a leave of absence on Dec. 1, until April 1 2018. During that time we will buy a new or nearly Casita and use it for short trips and shakedown.

After that wr want to continue to work 8 months a year and take 4 months off each year. We will own everything free and clear, and still make good coin in those 8 to support us.

I'm 49 and wife is 44. We look at it as taking our retirement a bit at a,time or in installments.

The key to this plan is 1) being debt free
2) being in demand in our profession, so our company will have no choice but to give us our leave of absence or lose us.

So many people save their whole lives and then have unexpected events in their retirement years and never get to enjoy.

So maybe trucking? Its not glamorous, but pay can be goid if you find your niche, and you can work anywhere in the US.

Best
easygojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:57 PM   #6

Trailer: building
Georgia
Florida hires guest hosts for their state parks

just go to the florida state gov website and look for hosting jobs.
i did a video interview on youtube with one couple that said they can work at each park up to 13 weeks.
what a gig!!!

wessonjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:42 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Easygojo
Recommend and good team driving companies off the top of your head? Do you own the tractor? Thanks in advance.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:07 PM   #8

Name: Jane
Trailer: Bigfoot
Tennessee
This is the website of a young, single women who supports herself working while full-time RVing. She has lots of job information and advice.

Interstellarorchard.com
Jane H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:12 PM   #9

Oregon
Hi. Well to recommend a company, I would probably need to know where you're at with regards to experience. Do you have a CDL already? Or do you need to get one and some training?

That being said, I have a dislike for most of the uber large trucking companies like Swift, CR England, etc. They're just massive and impersonal. I prefer mid sized companies where you can still walk into the owners office and they know you by name. Something less than 300 trucks or so is good.

No we dont own. We have no desire to do so. We prefer to be company employed drivers. We get 401k, med bennies, lots of little perks and we have stable paychecks and no worries about fuel prices or equipment failure.

One other added benefit of driving is that you and your teammate receive a $59 per day perdiem for every day you are away from home as a direct tax write off, or get a portion of that given to you weekly in some cases. It adds up to a huge huge write off at tax time.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:14 PM   #10

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Could you please be more specific where $59/day write off comes from?
Old 02-18-2016, 07:15 PM   #11

Oregon
Its a federal avg per day write off for transportation workers!