Traveling the Northwest in fall - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-26-2019, 12:55 PM   #21

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weavery View Post
I need some advice. A friend and I will be roughly following the Lewis and Clark trail, planning to leave mid-Sept for 3 weeks. This will be only my second long trip. The first trip I had sites booked months in advance each night I was on the road.

I will be mostly in commercial campgrounds. Do I need to book each night months in advance or can we be spontaneous this time of year and just book the night before as the trip evolves? Summer vacation would be over so I'm hoping for lighter traffic. Am I dreaming?
Thanks
It depends. Near major cities and the ocean, I'd recommend reservations, particularly at state parks.

The number of RVs is increasing, while the number of camp sites are not. Its definitely harder to get a site. State and National Parks tend to be a bargain, and camping sites are more spacious.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:34 PM   #22

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
Lewis and Clark Trail

If you are planning on being in North Dakota and Montana during late September and early October, you need to be prepared for cold weather. Getting camp grounds in that area should not be a problem.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:18 PM   #23

Name: William
Trailer: Scamp
Lakeville, CT
We traveled the L-C Trail in August/September 2017 from St. Louis to Cape Disappointment (with other things like the Eclipse sprinkled in) and listening to Undaunted Courage all the way. Highlights for us were the Winter Camp north of St. Louis, the Interpretive Center at Great Falls, Cape Disappointment and Fort Stevens. Also, any keelboat replica we could find "dad!, another keelboat?". Checking my records, we were in Cape Disappointment on September 11/12 and never had reservations for any of the spots. It was by no means empty but there was always something. I think the 16" Scamp helps get us spots that other campers had to pass up. That was certainly the case at Heart o' the Hills in the OP. At Fort Disappointment we had a great spot steps from the pristine, empty beach. The only place we almost didn't get spot was late August at Kalaloch in the Olympic Peninsula. We stayed at private campgrounds about once a week for the pool/shower/power and those were never full. Oh, we happened upon a kite festival in Pacific Beach, WA around Labor Day. That was a nice surprise.

Have fun!

Bill
biw314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:24 PM   #24

Name: Mitch
Trailer: Casita
Idaho
i Also live in Idaho, you are spot on.
mtbmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:19 PM   #25

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Laura and Dirk....Yes...pics are welcome. We are open daily year around from 10 to 4. I just added a very old Amish Road Cart the other day....she's a beauty. Hope you visit...safe travels. BTW...if you call the museum a few days in advance....I will try to be there to provide a tour. I am a historian on these vehicles....we will have a great time. Thanks for your comments.

Jerry
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:00 PM   #26

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
Laura and Dirk....Yes...pics are welcome. We are open daily year around from 10 to 4. I just added a very old Amish Road Cart the other day....she's a beauty. Hope you visit...safe travels. BTW...if you call the museum a few days in advance....I will try to be there to provide a tour. I am a historian on these vehicles....we will have a great time. Thanks for your comments.

Jerry

Definitely! Thanks Jerry! I'll PM you my contact & date info. Super excited now! :

When I was in Shipshawana some years ago there were lots of Amish buggies on the road. One was even towing a boat on a trailer.

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fall