traveling with a rifle - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-23-2015, 09:49 PM   #41

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Totally up to you.

Personally, I think you'd have no trouble. In private parks, all they can do if they find out is ask you to leave. And anywhere you go, how will they find out unless you tell them? I don't believe that local firearm laws can preempt the state's law (I'm sure it's true for concealed carry, so it's hard to imagine it being different for locked and stowed guns). National parks now follow the state's rules, too.

There can be oddball situations... like a few years ago in NM I learned that, even though open carry was legal in the state, it was prohibited in the NM state parks. But unloaded and locked away? It would take a really strange set of circumstances to land a person in trouble for that, I think.

The use of one's own rifle for target practice at various locations in the country, as a form of recreation, is a valid one.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:32 AM   #42

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I only posted so folks don't assume... and we know what "assume" means.

Just be safe and be lawful. There isn't one law, in many states that fits everything.

How about them 49ers?

Donna is 100% correct about no one law. And while many people keep a firearm in their trailers, if there were an incident whereby you ran afoul of some local law, you would likely beat it in court......but would the hassle be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 03-24-2015, 09:03 AM   #43

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Here is one example In my 2014 book:
Connecticut, Individules not licensed to carry handguns in Connecticut may not possess firearms i. their vehicles.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:14 AM   #44

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Marlin 70P or "Papoose" is a good target rifle in .22 caliber accurate as you are. And most importantly disassembles easily for transport.

Marlin Model 70P - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Taken apart and stowed in camper it is not likely to ever be an issue. Can be transported to firing range apart, assembled on location. While the .22 is not a powerful caliber in the boondocks it will deal with camp vermin just fine. Even a coyote will leave if shot at. Heck coyotes are smart enough to leave when they hear the safety click.

Will it stop a bear? You are kidding right? Very few firearms commonly carried will deal well with a predator as large as a bear. Those that will are not pleasant or practical for target shooting. Too much recoil. Too loud. Expensive ammo.

The point made earlier by others about properly stowed in the camper its existence is unknown and thus a non-issue. My point is disassembled and stowed separately it is no longer a firearm and in the event it became something you had to discuss with law enforcement most officers will use good judgment. It helps if you are polite and reasonable yourself in pointing out the safe and non-firearm condition it is being transported in.

State and Federal parks now follow local laws, so the previous broad park ban does not apply any more. Frankly there are places I would totally avoid for certain activities such as target shooting, others where it would not be a problem. The task is to figure out which areas are incompatible.

Local or state laws that are different can in fact be applied based on the officers judgment. Ann Arbor decriminalized pot but if you pissed the officer off while they wrote the pot "ticket" out then they would just radio in and ask for a county or state officer to come to the scene. That officer would arrest you on charges based on the county or state criminal laws. And Ann Arbor would still give you the ticket More reasonable folks found themselves with a ticket and dumping the pot out.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:22 AM   #45

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
I think you must make a distinction between carrying/discharging a firearm and simply transporting a firearm. I would have no reservations transporting a cased, unloaded .22 rifle while traveling.

Once you reach your destination, state and local law will govern firearm possession but here just use common sense. Don't discharging or brandish your firearm where it's illegal or you're unsure of the law. Display or shoot only where you are certain it's lawful and you have little to fear.

TRANSPORTATION BY MOTOR VEHICLE

In most states, firearms may be transported legally if they are unloaded, cased, and locked in the automobile trunk or otherwise inaccessible to the driver or any passenger. The exceptions to this rule apply mainly to transportation of handguns and so-called “assault weapons.” The myriad and conflicting legal requirements for firearm transportation through the states make caution the key for travelers of which you must consult local law.

If you travel with a trailer or camper that is hauled by an automobile, it is advisable to transport the firearms unloaded, cased and locked in the trunk of the car. If your vehicle is of the type in which driving and living spaces are not separated, the problem becomes one of access. If the firearm is carried on or about the person, or placed in the camper where it is readily accessible to the driver or any passenger, state and local laws regarding concealed carrying of firearms may apply. It is recommended, therefore, that the firearm be transported unloaded, cased, and placed in a locked rear compartment of the camper or mobile home, where it is inaccessible to the driver or any passenger.

Once you reach your destination, state and local law will govern the ownership, possession, and transportation of your firearms.

Source NRA: https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...transportation
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:04 AM   #46

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I would add by "cased" some areas mean in a locked case. Not simply inside a case.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:43 PM   #47

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Here is an amazing rifle being built:

Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote