Traveling with an indoor cat... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-19-2015, 08:18 AM   #15

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
So, I wonder what the choices are. If you leave the cat with a friend or relative, or decide to rehome the cat so you can travel and I know it sounds like someone wouldn't possibly consider that but it happens all the time with both dogs and cats, there is the same possibilities as if you take the cat along. The cat may get away from the caretaker. I know someone who gave a cat away and the cat returned looking for the man. The cat returned in the pouring rain wet and hungry. He came to our RV door (we were full-timing at that time) meowing when he found his previous owner wasn't home. The previous owner took the cat back in.

I cannot stress too much how much your stress levels have an impact on your pets, both dogs, cats and even our guinea pig. A pet is happiest with their owners despite crating or leashes. I would buy a halter for the cat and keep it tethered with a lease even in the trailer until the cat grew used to the routine. I have bought leashes for the dogs that hook to the seat belt and when released, I am already to walk them. Anyone looking for different supplies, I suggest JeffersPet online as I have shopped with them for probably 20 years and they have a good selection at reasonable prices.

I have traveled, camped and relocated with dogs, cats, guinea pigs and gold fish over the years and met many, many people especially when full-timing that traveled with pets of all sorts. Only once did we leave our pets in a kennel and I worried about them every minute. The cat was extremely bitter about the experience. We checked out a kennel before going to Disney World once and although nice, we hauled the pets to Disney with us and kenneled them there checking on them and walking them 3 times a day.

Attitude? We are going to do this and it will be fine goes a long way in getting something done. If we concentrate on the "what ifs", we end up frozen in time. I could give you a list of "what ifs" that might make you never want to even leave your house again.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:23 PM   #16

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Cathy, thanks for your thoughts and advice on this. I hear you about the pets picking up on the owner's stress, but think we have a reasonably calm and serene household. (The one from my previous marriage would have caused any animal a nervous breakdown -- and I think my little Chihuahua mix DID suffer just that.)

Miss Emmy does have a harness and a leash. If she traveled with us in the vehicle, she would definitely have it on and probably also travel in some kind of enclosure. No doors open EVER if she's not secured. We've also decided against taking her for walks... she's now content inside and not begging to go out and I really don't want that to start again! But I would keep her harnessed in vehicle and in trailer just to be safe.

Your kitties look comfortable and content; I'm glad you've been able to travel with them successfully, and that your other kitty's eyes are now less worrisome!

Best,
Ellpea in CA

Old 06-20-2015, 11:48 PM   #17

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
We just came back from a 4400 km trip to Dawson City Yukon and our cat Rusty came with us. We are lucky that he is a very laid back 2 year old kitty. He is leash trained and goes for walks both at home and camping. He is on a leash in the truck and curls up on the center console and does talk when we get going but settles down to sleep most of the way. He does not like bumps and frost heaves but did very well. He loves meeting people and most dogs. People came up to see and pet him everywhere we went. If we were going out to see some sites, he was put into the trailer with food, water and litter box and open windows. We would pull over every couple of hours for a break for us and the cat. He is an orange Maine Coon cross and is about 12 lbs.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:10 AM   #18

Name: Anne
Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Oregon
Registry
I have travelled for up to 4 months at a time with my 14yr old inside only cat. She adjusted to travelling quite quickly.
She wears a harness, may howl for a bit when we first start out, but mostly sleeps on my lap.
She has learned not to bolt for the door 😉 (rattle a can of coins of your cat tries it)
She loves the trailer, really likes taking walks outside (on a leash), eats well, etc.
I converted a floor level cupboard to hold the litter box (took off the door, lined the cupboard with plastic, put in the box and other litter supplies, added a small curtain)
I, too, live in fear that she will get lost - I just try to be vigilant. Fortunately, she has adjusted well and sees the car and trailer as 'safe' places.

Anne H
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:13 AM   #19

Name: Anne
Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Oregon
Registry
Oh, I also keep water and an extra litter box in the car for long travel days. I leave my cat free inside the car - she doesn't try to bolt and she just howls if i try to keep her in her crate.

Anne H

Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote