Traveling with pets - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-21-2007, 11:12 AM   #15

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
George, we put our last name, our cell phone, a relatives, and our home phone numbers on the tags. I make them at Walmart on a machine in the pet department, 4-5 bucks apiece. They have the same machines in Petsmarts but the cost is higher.

Plus mine wear their city license tags, which say what city and state they are from.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:37 AM   #16

Name: Anne
Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Oregon
Registry
Travel Tags: In addition to their normal tags (home phone, name, etc), and being micro-chipped, (and since mine are greyhounds - ear tattoos), I went to Office Depot and got a box of those little round cardboard tags with metal edges and put my cell phone or CG phone number on them with a permanent Sharpie. They're cheap and easy to use.

Name:   946798_sk_md.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  3.6 KB

Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:55 PM   #17

Name: Ellen
Trailer: Escape
California
Hi Cheryl,

Thanks so much for getting this topic going in the right forum.

Bret and I just adopted the new addition to our family, Maggie, 6 days ago. She's a 12 lb rat terrier/beagle mix.

I love all the ideas that everyone came forward with. I'll definitley print out the skunk-spray-b-gone mixture and assemble our first aid kit and such. I'm curious though if some of you can more fully explain what an x-pen is?

Quote:
Xpen - with a top and a bottom if your dog digs. This is a nice secure space outside where your dog can see you and enjoy the out of doors without being tied. Also its a nice place to put them when you have company ina 13' Boler
Is it mostly a wire mesh pen made of panels or something different? Sounds like it might be a good idea or we may just get the spiral stake and a long lead.

Being that so many fiberglass trailer folk have traveling pooches, are there any fun activities or outings planned at the 2007 Oregon Gathering to include this sizeable group?

Thanks everybody for all the great tips!
Ellen, Bret & lil' Maggie
Old 02-21-2007, 01:03 PM   #18

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
First I want to thank Cheryl for this great informative pet thread.... it has already given me plenty of ideas.

Thanks Lizbeth... After seeing the Cat Walking Jacket - I just ordered a blue one and it should be here in about a week. Looks very sturdy... I'm always afraid that Jerry will pull backwards out of his harness so I'm very careful to always be in front of him.

Nita and Anne.. Great ideas for the tags with campsite and cell phone number and the flyers I will make up a couple before the next trip to have handy - Just in Case.

George... You might have two very large dogs.. but Jerry is fast as greased lightning .. very good at swiping with his claws and Oh My... you should hear him growl.. Are you planning another trip to California . maybe to our Lake Casitas Rally?

Thanks Linda .. We think he's cute too... Jerry was given to us last year by our daughter as a surprise - he was in a shelter - 8 weeks old. He came with the micro chip, all his first shots, and a free first vet checkup. Savings animals from shelters ... welll you know, it's the best way to go.

Thanks to everyone .... super ideas.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:11 PM   #19

Name: Linda
Trailer: Honey
California
Im so glad this topic was started! We have a yorkie and take him with us most everywhere. I've seen the pet strollers but never really considered it until I saw it here. While our dog is only 6 pounds, it can be a hassle to carry him and other things. He doesn't do well on hot beaches or hot asphalt (watching the July 4th parade in Mendocino) I'll definitely be looking into some sort of stroller.

Much to the dog's chagrin, we make him wear a collar with a bell when we travel. That makes it easy to immediately know where he is, even in a dark trailer or a dark night if he darts out the door. Since he found it too embarassing to wear a cat collar in public, I also made him a collar with little brass bells (hippie bells) and he thinks he's stylin!
Old 02-21-2007, 05:57 PM   #20

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
I've traveled with two different breeds, at different times, and neither are very good in very hot weather. My current co-pilot is a Boston Terrier and these little dogs, thanks to man's incessant gene-tampering, have definite breathing problems in very hot weather. Whenever I stop someplace (grocery, diner, etc.) in the summertime, I put her in the Casita, open some windows, crank up the roof vent and turn on the roof fan. She stays cool and comfy, and seldom even pants— even in 100°+ weather. No wonder she loves her Casita so much!
Old 03-04-2007, 09:58 AM   #21

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 4500
This is a great thread! I've read everything and learned lots.

We have 2 sheepdogs, and this is our first year camping with them. I am concerned about satisfying thier excercise requirements. They are both 2 years old, and play and run and are very active.
I realize that dogs need to be on leash when on the campground, but is there sometimes a bit of bending on that? For example, is it possible to check at the office if there is a fenced area or somewhere for them to run and get their kinks out after driving for hours?
Or is it better to plan ahead and choose spots that have a leash-free park in the closest town?
And does anyone with a long-haired breeds bring a hair-dryer, for those rainy days?
How often do you find that you need to stop and let them stretch thier legs? One of them just finds one spot in the truck and doesn't move the whole time it is moving.

And do you find that other campers are usually open to introducing pooches and letting them hang out or play together? Or is that kind of frowned upon....Just trying to get a head start on the camping ettiquette with pooches...

Thanks for any insight and suggestions.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:27 AM   #22

Name: Jeffrey
Trailer: 2007 Scamp 13 ft
Florida
Quote:
Carol, I love that Jerry!

For those of you who take cats camping I have discovered Cat Walking Jackets.
http://metpet.com/shopsite_sc/store/...ingjacket.html
I ordered one and the company was very prompt and sent a bonus toy.

I have tried to use a normal cat or dog harness on several cats and didn't feel secure because I knew they could (and sometime did on in house experiments) get out of them.

I'm working on getting Smokey Black Bartholomeow (8 mo) used to wearing it. We might try our first car ride this weekend. He was a foster kitten...I wish I had decided to keep him earlier so I could have started on this when he was younger. We'll see how he does.

We purchased the Cat Walking Jacket for our 15 yr old cat, Drifter. He didn't care for it at first, but he adjusted to it after a half a dozen wearings. It was mandatory in order to take him along on our month-long trip out West. The jacket gives plenty of surface area to write down all important info in case he were to get away from us and someone found him (his name, our name, cell phone and home phone numbers, plus the fact that he's blind and directing people who find him to call area campgrounds). It gave me peace of mind, that's for sure. Overall, for a cat who'd never even rode in a car more than once annually, Drifter became a very savvy and relaxed traveler!
Old 03-06-2007, 05:50 PM   #23

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Wow, thanx for all the great stuff learned from this thread. I'm especially grateful for the "black & white tango" cure! Our Dachuahua must always be on a lead, as she shares a love of chasing squirrels, etc and her 'come-backer' is definitely broken Thank heaven she has not met a skunk yet.

Ms. Minnie always travels in her fiberglass (what else?) crate in our van. Years of traveling with show dogs taught me the value of crate-training - great when you have guests who fear dogs, etc. She also sleeps in her crate in the Egg ...I have a thing about dogs in my bed (just me). Besides, we have not figured out how a 13# dog can wrap herself up using ALL the blankets .

We agree traveling with a pet means making adjustments, but like every other pet lover, we feel it is worth it. Happy travels with all your critters - hope our travel paths will cross in the future. Take care, LdB
Old 03-07-2007, 11:10 AM   #24

Trailer: 1975 Boler 13 ft / Ford Explorer
Registry
[quote]
Anyone have more ideas (and your on-line sources) for best collar tags, especially configured for when you are travelling?

I always have collars with my cell phone number on the dogs when we trave, they are or will be microshipped. Also hit your near by PetSmart and make a tag to go on the dogs. These come in handy if your staying with relatives to as you can change any info and they only cost about $6
Old 03-07-2007, 11:19 AM   #25

Registry
Quote:
I've traveled with two different breeds, at different times, and neither are very good in very hot weather.

Another hot water idea for pets is a cooler pad that you can wet and set down for the dogs. The moisture helps wick away heat from the pets belly. We have installed a Fantastic fan in our Boler and this should keep our pets cool and happy. We bought the fan with the thermostat for when we have to leave them inside for a while unattended.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:26 AM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Hi Cheryl,

Thanks so much for getting this topic going in the right forum.

Bret and I just adopted the new addition to our family, Maggie, 6 days ago. She's a 12 lb rat terrier/beagle mix.

I love all the ideas that everyone came forward with. I'll definitley print out the skunk-spray-b-gone mixture and assemble our first aid kit and such. I'm curious though if some of you can more fully explain what an x-pen is?
Is it mostly a wire mesh pen made of panels or something different? Sounds like it might be a good idea or we may just get the spiral stake and a long lead.

Thanks everybody for all the great tips!
Ellen, Bret & lil' Maggie
Try looking at http://www.drsfostersmith.com this is a great place to find information and supplies. Xpen is a short for exercise pen.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2007, 11:34 AM   #27

Registry
Quote:
This is a great thread! I've read everything and learned lots.

We have 2 sheepdogs, and this is our first year camping with them. I am concerned about satisfying thier excercise requirements. They are both 2 years old, and play and run and are very active.
I realize that dogs need to be on leash when on the campground, but is there sometimes a bit of bending on that? For example, is it possible to check at the office if there is a fenced area or somewhere for them to run and get their kinks out after driving for hours?
Or is it better to plan ahead and choose spots that have a leash-free park in the closest town?
And does anyone with a long-haired breeds bring a hair-dryer, for those rainy days?
How often do you find that you need to stop and let them stretch thier legs? One of them just finds one spot in the truck and doesn't move the whole time it is moving.

And do you find that other campers are usually open to introducing pooches and letting them hang out or play together? Or is that kind of frowned upon....Just trying to get a head start on the camping ettiquette with pooches...

Thanks for any insight and suggestions
Well exercise with larger dogs is definitly more of a problem. I usually stop at rest stops and relieve myself and take the dogs for a good walk. Most people I have met with pets ae happy to let dogs meet. I always do a quick visual check for runny eyes with crusties, coat condition and general grooming. If the dogs a mess I dont let my dogs say hello , something about an unkemp dog and wondering if they bother to get the dog its shots. I then always ask if it is ok with the owner. They know their dog best. I have a jack that is not as social and love it when ppl with solid dogs help me train her. She was socailized well as a puppy so her personality is a bit more aggressive. It is great for her to be able to say hello to large dogs that put up with a bit more as this teaches her they are ok to be around and wont jump on her.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:44 AM   #28

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
ALWAYS ask.

I rescue difficult Beagles that would otherwise be put down for behaviorale issues. My hooligans are dog aggressive (Yes! Beagles!) so they go flippy when other dogs approach. Over the years, I have realized they are probably more excited and want to play, but that big voice and lots of action makes it appear as tho they want to chomp. It's not worth the risk to find out for sure.

Please, if you are walking by someones site and you get a reaction from a dog, just keep moving. Many people have stopped and stared at my male, who has been debarked, never thinking about the dog reacting, they are just trying to understand the squeak. Misguided curiosity.. they don't see the dogs actions, only hear the funny bark.

They have made friends with lots of smaller dogs, but I still don't trust when a bigger one is around. A couple of weeks ago, they were at a house with 4 pit bulls, and they actually (beagles) just ignored the pits. It's hard to judge sometimes.

This is why you will rarely see them at rallies. They are going to Lake San Antonio, and I am cautious about what they are going to think of Mikes dog, Buddy. We are good pals and I fear they may get jealous. We'll see.