Traveling with pets - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-04-2007, 09:58 AM   #21

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 4500
This is a great thread! I've read everything and learned lots.

We have 2 sheepdogs, and this is our first year camping with them. I am concerned about satisfying thier excercise requirements. They are both 2 years old, and play and run and are very active.
I realize that dogs need to be on leash when on the campground, but is there sometimes a bit of bending on that? For example, is it possible to check at the office if there is a fenced area or somewhere for them to run and get their kinks out after driving for hours?
Or is it better to plan ahead and choose spots that have a leash-free park in the closest town?
And does anyone with a long-haired breeds bring a hair-dryer, for those rainy days?
How often do you find that you need to stop and let them stretch thier legs? One of them just finds one spot in the truck and doesn't move the whole time it is moving.

And do you find that other campers are usually open to introducing pooches and letting them hang out or play together? Or is that kind of frowned upon....Just trying to get a head start on the camping ettiquette with pooches...

Thanks for any insight and suggestions.
Nicole M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:27 AM   #22

Trailer: 84 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Carol, I love that Jerry!

For those of you who take cats camping I have discovered Cat Walking Jackets.
http://metpet.com/shopsite_sc/store/...ingjacket.html
I ordered one and the company was very prompt and sent a bonus toy.

I have tried to use a normal cat or dog harness on several cats and didn't feel secure because I knew they could (and sometime did on in house experiments) get out of them.

I'm working on getting Smokey Black Bartholomeow (8 mo) used to wearing it. We might try our first car ride this weekend. He was a foster kitten...I wish I had decided to keep him earlier so I could have started on this when he was younger. We'll see how he does.

We purchased the Cat Walking Jacket for our 15 yr old cat, Drifter. He didn't care for it at first, but he adjusted to it after a half a dozen wearings. It was mandatory in order to take him along on our month-long trip out West. The jacket gives plenty of surface area to write down all important info in case he were to get away from us and someone found him (his name, our name, cell phone and home phone numbers, plus the fact that he's blind and directing people who find him to call area campgrounds). It gave me peace of mind, that's for sure. Overall, for a cat who'd never even rode in a car more than once annually, Drifter became a very savvy and relaxed traveler!
jefflynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:50 PM   #23

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Wow, thanx for all the great stuff learned from this thread. I'm especially grateful for the "black & white tango" cure! Our Dachuahua must always be on a lead, as she shares a love of chasing squirrels, etc and her 'come-backer' is definitely broken Thank heaven she has not met a skunk yet.

Ms. Minnie always travels in her fiberglass (what else?) crate in our van. Years of traveling with show dogs taught me the value of crate-training - great when you have guests who fear dogs, etc. She also sleeps in her crate in the Egg ...I have a thing about dogs in my bed (just me). Besides, we have not figured out how a 13# dog can wrap herself up using ALL the blankets .

We agree traveling with a pet means making adjustments, but like every other pet lover, we feel it is worth it. Happy travels with all your critters - hope our travel paths will cross in the future. Take care, LdB
Old 03-07-2007, 11:10 AM   #24

Trailer: 1975 Boler 13 ft / Ford Explorer
Registry
[quote]
Anyone have more ideas (and your on-line sources) for best collar tags, especially configured for when you are travelling?

I always have collars with my cell phone number on the dogs when we trave, they are or will be microshipped. Also hit your near by PetSmart and make a tag to go on the dogs. These come in handy if your staying with relatives to as you can change any info and they only cost about $6
Cheryl Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:19 AM   #25

Registry
Quote:
I've traveled with two different breeds, at different times, and neither are very good in very hot weather.

Another hot water idea for pets is a cooler pad that you can wet and set down for the dogs. The moisture helps wick away heat from the pets belly. We have installed a Fantastic fan in our Boler and this should keep our pets cool and happy. We bought the fan with the thermostat for when we have to leave them inside for a while unattended.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:26 AM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Hi Cheryl,

Thanks so much for getting this topic going in the right forum.

Bret and I just adopted the new addition to our family, Maggie, 6 days ago. She's a 12 lb rat terrier/beagle mix.

I love all the ideas that everyone came forward with. I'll definitley print out the skunk-spray-b-gone mixture and assemble our first aid kit and such. I'm curious though if some of you can more fully explain what an x-pen is?
Is it mostly a wire mesh pen made of panels or something different? Sounds like it might be a good idea or we may just get the spiral stake and a long lead.

Thanks everybody for all the great tips!
Ellen, Bret & lil' Maggie
Try looking at http://www.drsfostersmith.com this is a great place to find information and supplies. Xpen is a short for exercise pen.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2007, 11:34 AM   #27

Registry
Quote:
This is a great thread! I've read everything and learned lots.

We have 2 sheepdogs, and this is our first year camping with them. I am concerned about satisfying thier excercise requirements. They are both 2 years old, and play and run and are very active.
I realize that dogs need to be on leash when on the campground, but is there sometimes a bit of bending on that? For example, is it possible to check at the office if there is a fenced area or somewhere for them to run and get their kinks out after driving for hours?
Or is it better to plan ahead and choose spots that have a leash-free park in the closest town?
And does anyone with a long-haired breeds bring a hair-dryer, for those rainy days?
How often do you find that you need to stop and let them stretch thier legs? One of them just finds one spot in the truck and doesn't move the whole time it is moving.

And do you find that other campers are usually open to introducing pooches and letting them hang out or play together? Or is that kind of frowned upon....Just trying to get a head start on the camping ettiquette with pooches...

Thanks for any insight and suggestions
Well exercise with larger dogs is definitly more of a problem. I usually stop at rest stops and relieve myself and take the dogs for a good walk. Most people I have met with pets ae happy to let dogs meet. I always do a quick visual check for runny eyes with crusties, coat condition and general grooming. If the dogs a mess I dont let my dogs say hello , something about an unkemp dog and wondering if they bother to get the dog its shots. I then always ask if it is ok with the owner. They know their dog best. I have a jack that is not as social and love it when ppl with solid dogs help me train her. She was socailized well as a puppy so her personality is a bit more aggressive. It is great for her to be able to say hello to large dogs that put up with a bit more as this teaches her they are ok to be around and wont jump on her.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:44 AM   #28

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
ALWAYS ask.

I rescue difficult Beagles that would otherwise be put down for behaviorale issues. My hooligans are dog aggressive (Yes! Beagles!) so they go flippy when other dogs approach. Over the years, I have realized they are probably more excited and want to play, but that big voice and lots of action makes it appear as tho they want to chomp. It's not worth the risk to find out for sure.

Please, if you are walking by someones site and you get a reaction from a dog, just keep moving. Many people have stopped and stared at my male, who has been debarked, never thinking about the dog reacting, they are just trying to understand the squeak. Misguided curiosity.. they don't see the dogs actions, only hear the funny bark.

They have made friends with lots of smaller dogs, but I still don't trust when a bigger one is around. A couple of weeks ago, they were at a house with 4 pit bulls, and they actually (beagles) just ignored the pits. It's hard to judge sometimes.

This is why you will rarely see them at rallies. They are going to Lake San Antonio, and I am cautious about what they are going to think of Mikes dog, Buddy. We are good pals and I fear they may get jealous. We'll see.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:45 PM   #29

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Thumbs up

First thanks all, this thread has been really helpful to us, as we are planning to try camping with our aging cat and aging dog this spring. Secondly, I have a few questions for you kind posters:
1) Where can we find a Fantastic Fan with thermostat? Our trailer supply guy doesn't have one with a thermostat.
2) Could you explain how to make the cooling pad?
3) Our cat is a pretty well trained indoor-outdoor cat (In summer she uses the great outdoors, and in winter pretty much sticks to her box.) What would you recommend as a toileting system that wouldn't smell up the trailer and get kitty litter all over the floor?) Maybe putting the box outside??
thanks, Jess N.
Jess N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:10 PM   #30

Trailer: 84 Scamp 13 ft
We really like Feline Pine for cat litter, it beats clay or scoopable litters in most ways. It is made of compressed pine sawdust that looks like the pellets people use in their pellet stoves. While the directions say to put an inch of fresh pellets in the box, and its then good for a month (because it expands alot when wet), I found that in small quarters like the Scamp its just as easy to wait a few minutes after the cat is through and then I use a miniature plastic dustpan to "scoop" the damp sawdust out of the box. If you give the box a firm couple shakes, the dry pellets rise to the top and you can push them aside to scoop up any more damp stuff off the bottom. Advantages: NO ODOR WHATSOEVER, even when you don't bother scooping; NO DUST; NO TRACKING OF LITTER OUT OF BOX (for some reason the pine pellets and even the damp sawdust do not seem to cling to the cat's paws); COMPLETELY BIODEGRABLE (can bury it or burn used litter in campfire after removing solids, of course, and after done cooking over it!).

Quote:
First thanks all, this thread has been really helpful to us, as we are planning to try camping with our aging cat and aging dog this spring. Secondly, I have a few questions for you kind posters:
1) Where can we find a Fantastic Fan with thermostat? Our trailer supply guy doesn't have one with a thermostat.
3) Our cat is a pretty well trained indoor-outdoor cat (In summer she uses the great outdoors, and in winter pretty much sticks to her box.) What would you recommend as a toileting system that wouldn't smell up the trailer and get kitty litter all over the floor?) Maybe putting the box outside??
thanks, Jess N.
jefflynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:19 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
thanks, Jess N.
WE purchased our fan from Camping World when they had a sale and the cooling mats are special materials and purchased from PetSmart.
A friend of our travels with her aged cat and has a small dog house with a light bulb in it for cooler weather. She puts this outside in an exercise pen with a top. Of course, this is only when she isnt in the trailer with her owner.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:47 PM   #32

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Quote:
We got our Fantastic Fan from Adohen Supply, and were really happy with all the choices they offer. The high profile base option is recommended for trailers with thin ceilings like ours - it means the fan will be more flush with the ceiling rather than lower than it. Plus, they seem to always have a sale going on!

I do have a question... I've heard a few people mention that their Fantastic Fan with the thermostat was perfect for when they leave their pet alone inside their trailer, but is this really any better than just turning on a Fantastic Fan that doesn't have a thermostat?

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:26 AM   #33

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Freedom Deluxe 1998
Quote:
We got our Fantastic Fan from Adohen Supply, and were really happy with all the choices they offer. The high profile base option is recommended for trailers with thin ceilings like ours - it means the fan will be more flush with the ceiling rather than lower than it. Plus, they seem to always have a sale going on!

I do have a question... I've heard a few people mention that their Fantastic Fan with the thermostat was perfect for when they leave their pet alone inside their trailer, but is this really any better than just turning on a Fantastic Fan that doesn't have a thermostat?

Jeanne
Hi Jeanne,

We have the fantastic fan, no thermostat. I suppose it would be handy to have the thermostat but when we leave our trailer, and it's at all warm outside, we just leave the fan running. Then when we return the trailer isn't all hot and stuffy. The fan uses very little power so it's not much of a drain on the battery. We have solar panels though so it's not an issue.

One note though, if you go camping where its really hot (like we did last summer on a southwest tour - 100+ degrees) then the fantastic fan won't be enough to cool down your trailer for your pooch. Just like we wouldn't leave a pet/child in a car in the sun even with the windows cracked.

Ellen
NorCal Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:24 PM   #34

Registry
Found an add for the cooling pad that I mentioned earlier.

www.inthecompanyofdogs.com

Im sure they are available at many other dealers but Ive included a picture.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2007, 10:57 PM   #35

Registry
I had a cat that would overheat frequently. Didn't have ANYTHING to do with his bulky 27lbs.. Nope...

eh, hem.. anyway, I would freeze water in giant ziplock bags and lay them on the floor with a towel over them. He would crawl onto them and purr furriously.

For those with older or arthritic pups (I have one that is both) here is an item I saw in a Bed Bath and Beyond, beleive it or not. I have never bought an "As Seen On TV" item before, but I thought this was a great idea, and she loves it. It's a snap together frame, weighs nothing (You can lift it with one finger, but it's VERY sturdy) with a sheepskin cover that fits it perfectly, and gives her good footing, properly spaced.

During the day, it goes next to MY steps outside, as this 17 is taller than my 13 was, and she can't make it up the one step.

Fuzzy stairs, 20 bones.
Happy dog that made it to the bed on her own without Mom pushing her up... Priceless.

(And it looks pretty nice in here too)
Attached Thumbnails
kittystairs.jpg  
Old 03-14-2007, 12:00 AM   #36

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Gina,

Is she smiling in the picture?

Vivian
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:05 AM   #37

Registry
Yes. The queen is pleased

and why not? I bought her a new palace that she can romp in better. She allows her brother in too, and they don't crowd in here.

Jeane! Note the new water bowl. A great investment. I don't get out of bed and step on a soggy floor anymore! Picked it up at Wally World.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:31 AM   #38

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
For campgrounds where they let us do it, we tie a high line between two trees and use a carabiner to hook the dog's leash onto it. The carabiner slides nicely along the line, so Kerry can have a 15-30 foot run without any risk of tangling her leash.

Kerry is accustomed to sleeping in a plastic crate at home, and when we travel she's happy to ride in it in the back of the van. When the campfire is dying down and sleepy time comes, we just say "go to your room" and she hops into her crate for the night.

A well-anchored crate, by the way, is probably the safest place for a pet to travel.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:15 AM   #39

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Quote:
Happy dog that made it to the bed on her own without Mom pushing her up... Priceless.
I think dogs are so much happier when they can be independent. Your stairs look like a perfect solution Gina!

Cheryl, thanks for posting the photo of your dog's cooling pad. I never knew something like that existed!

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote