Traveling with Pets - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #21

Name: Dee
Trailer: "Trilliam Morris" 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Registry
Thanks for all this great information. We are trying to figure out how to do our cross Canada trip with a 17 yo cat, who doesn't like traveling (although she has put up with it in the past, in a camper van) & hates us being away for even a day.
DeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #22

Name: PaulOWindsor
Trailer: 2011 Trillium 1500 & 2002 Airstream 34
Ontario
Just two words on this topic...

"Kitty Walk"... Kittywalk Systems
PaulOWindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:00 AM   #23

Name: Matt and Lindsey
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
British Columbia
We always travel with our two huskies... a deciding factor in us finally upgrading from tent to trailer was that our big husky is 9 now & has arthritic hips. She was really beginning to feel the cold (despite a comfy bed & blanket over her!).

Both our dogs are rescued, one from a pretty terrible existence as a truly feral street dog in Taiwan. So he is a bit of a nervous nelly around strangers, so, in addition to the basics we always bring;

- lots of healthy treats (to give to strangers who want to make friends).
- some rescue remedy in case we have loud neighbors or loud children
- gravol just in case
- their dog beds from home
- bendryl (with doggy dosages written out)
- their cable tied outs

With those things our dogs travel very very well and have a fantastic time!!
bomni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:09 AM   #24

Name: Matt and Lindsey
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Oh.......And a word on those who love to meet with the campground dogs.

As a dog rescuer and a person who has done a ton of work with my timid guy and many like him, I can't help but add.....Please ask before trying to pet and if the dog doesn't run up and give kisses (like our big friendly dog always does), or maybe even chiffs and huffs a bit; PLEASE don't automatically assume that they are a bad dog, they have bad owners, or that they are unsocialized or abused. Give them space! If they are like my guy, just ignore them, don't stare at them (meanwhile maybe find out the background story from the owner...) and maybe the dog will eventually dart in for a sniff ~ in our case within ten minutes of being ignored, Maska will most likely be begging for attention.

Although our little husky loves camping, is quiet and well behaved, it still is very overwhelming! And it helps him gain confidence when things go well & he gets to meet new friends & he doesn't feel threatened.
bomni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:04 AM   #25

Name: Tom
Trailer: Triple E
British Columbia
This likely should go without saying but you might be surprised....picking up after your pet, even after dark, makes all of our pets more welcome in any camping situation.....
thostorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:07 AM   #26

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Please post if you figure out a good solution for the cat box. At home we cut a pet door in the interior door to our garage so the litterbox doesnt have to be in the house. In the small confines of the trailer, If kitty goes in the night will you have to get up and scoop b/c of odor? We're not having any luck finding somebody to cat sit over Christmas so our furkid may be joining us. She hates the car but also hates being alone. Too bad catnip isnt stonger and the effect last longer, lol. I dont want to use harsher drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJ View Post
Thanks for all this great information. We are trying to figure out how to do our cross Canada trip with a 17 yo cat, who doesn't like traveling (although she has put up with it in the past, in a camper van) & hates us being away for even a day.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:34 AM   #27

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomni View Post
Oh.......And a word on those who love to meet with the campground dogs.

As a dog rescuer and a person who has done a ton of work with my timid guy and many like him, I can't help but add.....Please ask before trying to pet and if the dog doesn't run up and give kisses (like our big friendly dog always does), or maybe even chiffs and huffs a bit; PLEASE don't automatically assume that they are a bad dog, they have bad owners, or that they are unsocialized or abused. Give them space! If they are like my guy, just ignore them, don't stare at them (meanwhile maybe find out the background story from the owner...) and maybe the dog will eventually dart in for a sniff ~ in our case within ten minutes of being ignored, Maska will most likely be begging for attention.

Although our little husky loves camping, is quiet and well behaved, it still is very overwhelming! And it helps him gain confidence when things go well & he gets to meet new friends & he doesn't feel threatened.
Good advice. I never approach a dog without first talking to the owner. Even then it's with caution. Dogs like humans have different personalities some extremely shy, some aggressive and defensive, some tolerant, and some just down right friendly. What ever the case don't push yourself at the animal, let them come to you.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #28

Trailer: Boler 1984
Holly, our Jack Russell, is always on the lookout for new friends when we camp.
Attached Thumbnails
693 (1024x683).jpg  
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:24 PM   #29

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Please post if you figure out a good solution for the cat box.
RE. a solution for the litter box, I use the storage compartment under one of the front benches. I leave the inside 'door' open and my cat can enter on his own. It does not eliminate all the odour problem, but certainly decreases it and the unsightly litter box is out of sight.

I can sacrifice this space for the litter box bc I travel alone and don't need the space for storage.
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:45 PM   #30

Name: Julie
Trailer: Future Casita Owner
North Central Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
Holly, our Jack Russell, is always on the lookout for new friends when we camp.
HA!! Oh my gosh! I love this photo!
While I did not meet Bacon (see photo) while camped, I did meet her yesterday while with Kirby the Therapy Dog and wrote about her in the blog.