Traveling without Air conditioners - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-02-2013, 11:59 PM   #15

Name: Tania
Trailer: Newbie owners of TrailMite
Oregon
Registry
I've wondered the same thing...how do you survive without air conditioners?

It has been miserably hot here the last few days in the NW and even at night it is hard to sleep in our house. I can't imagine in a fiberglass shell it would be better. I made a decision to get some small battery operated fans for the trailer and even finally decided to get a small air conditoner for when we are hooked up. Granted it isn't going to be ready for this summer, but now we have it and can build and plan for it, as we are redoing the whole interior. I don't want to be stopped by where I can go because it is too hot. We have to go when we have the time available. I just won't bring my dogs as they would be miserable (Bernese Mt dogs with LOTS of fur). We also have a fantastic fan (still to be installed). When we traveled with our kids in the car and had no air conditioning, we gave them all spray bottles and they misted themselves. It is amazing how much that helped.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:49 AM   #16

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Tania, I have a Fantastic fan over my bed, I might upgrade to the maxair one becuase it can be open while its raining and closes up to a real low profile... it poured on last friday and if I wasn't able to get enough air moving I was gonna fire up the generator. I need to pick up a clip on fan in the meantime just to keep the air moving.

I also agree with you, I go camping when I have time. Going to be raining most of the next 5 days...oh well, not letting that stop me!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:47 AM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16, 2013 VW Tiguan SEL
Colorado
You're talking about South Carolina, Maryann? Then I think you better wait three months or so. The deep South can remain quite muggy through September. Western S.C.would be more temperate, up by the Smokies, but there isn't much of it.

I've taken one Scamp trip into Kentucky and Tennessee in high summertime. I did manage to install a small window AC in my cabinets, vented through an unused refrigerator grille. Electrical hookups were easy to find at the state parks we visited. My AC cost about $50. For a good deal more, you might pick a small portable air conditioner, ducted through a window. Our summer trip was enjoyable- because we had air conditioning.

Back home in Colorado, I haven't used the AC in five years. I rarely find hookups, either.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:18 AM   #18

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
We live in upstate NY, and while we don't have an egg yet, I did install a small Coleman roof mounted A/C unit in our old 14' Sunline camper last year. It fit where the roof vent had gone. WHile it fit in the vent hole fine, it was not an easy project, as I had to put a new load center in to have A/C along with all the normal stuff. I like A/C in part because it also acts as a simple fan, and white noise helps our puppy sleep. Otherwise any little noise and he's barking!

Best of luck to you.

Frank
Old 07-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #19

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
I am also from "Up North" and I can't stand it to be hot at night when I am trying to sleep. My solution was to put a portable A/C in my camper that way I didn't have to cut any special holes, I can remove it when I don't need it for space, and when I do need it I just need to put it in and turn it on.
Just got back from a 16 day trip across Route 66 and the A/C stayed in the back of the TV until I got to Missouri and let me tell you..I am sooooooo glad I spent the money and the time figuring out a way to have some A/C because Missouri was miserably miserable. It isn't so much the heat it is the heat mixed with the 98% humidity that makes me uncomfortable. Oklahoma was pretty bad too until you got west of Oklahoma City then the humidity started to go down a bit. By the time I made it to New Mexico and Arizona I wasn't even really using the A/C anymore as it would be fry an egg on the sidewalk hot during the day but at night it would cool down to around 80 and like 4% humidity so I slept just fine. Utah again I didn't use A/C, hot hot hot there but comfortable at night. Colorado was cool and comfortable until I got east of Denver and towards Nebraska and then the humidity started to rise rapidly. A/C was in order all the way through Nebraska, Iowa, Southern Minnesota, until I got home again. Yesterday morning it was 48 here, I was freezing.

My advice is if you are going to invest in an A/C make sure you get a real A/C that takes the humidity out of the air, Swamp Coolers will cool the air but won't do a thing for the humidity and that in my opinion does not help. The other consideration and something I ran into problems with on my trip, I like to boondock and dry camp as much as possible just because I enjoy being away from the crowds and if you want or need A/C you will need POWER for it so you have to camp in campgrounds or will need a generator.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #20

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann in MN View Post
My pooch has a hard time in this heat.
FanTastic Vent - Product - Endless Breeze will do double duty both in and out of the trailer. I don't know how it will hang off of your windows but it fits nicely on the older square style. Blows both in and out.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #21

New Jersey
Registry
Im thinking of adding one of these like Thom has on his ParkLiner. This way if its raining you can still have it on and running.

http://www.maxxair.com/products/maxxfan/maxxfan.php

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 07-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #22

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
Thanks everyone, That's what I needed to hear about traveling to the southern states in the summer heat. I've traveled to FL many times, but not in the summer. We always vacationed in the winter.
God's Country, Minnesota
Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #23

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
One time returning from Colorado in our pickup camper we stopped at a state park in Minnesota. No ac in the camper. So hot we slept out on the ground. Next morning we saw some people with a motor home doing the same. A personal vow: no house, no car, no RV without ac. That's what I have and have had for more than 25 years. Never again without.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:17 AM   #24

New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
One time returning from Colorado in our pickup camper we stopped at a state park in Minnesota. No ac in the camper. So hot we slept out on the ground. Next morning we saw some people with a motor home doing the same. A personal vow: no house, no car, no RV without ac. That's what I have and have had for more than 25 years. Never again without.
I agree with you100%!

Old 07-04-2013, 02:03 AM   #25

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
We did 10 yrs. with a Komfort Lite TT (it had an AC, but seldom camped with electric hookups). We kept west of Texas so we were in higher elevations and not humid. We did one summer down into Texas with it. But kept to state parks & electric sites.

Only one day & night in which we really suffered. Page, AZ, down by Lake Powell. We made it through a very hot day by swims in the lake by the beach. Taking drives in the pickup & taking a tour of the dam site. Very cool down into it by elevator. Ice cream at McD's.

Expecting it too cool off after dark (like it normally does in high desert places), but no such luck, over 100 at 10 pm in the TT. Lake Powell is classified as a "high desert" area due to it's 3,700 ft. elevation. But not high enough & more humid due to the lake, I assume. Page, perched atop Manson Mesa at an elevation of 4,300', should have cool faster (can't remember if it did or not), so the CG by the lake was in a canyon somewhat. So we took another drive in the pickup. drove up to Page & looked it over. Drove by a private campground with electric hookups. Didn't appear to have any sites left.

When back to our TT. Still really hot, but a little cooler. Many people sleeping on tables, etc around the CG. Our solution, wet T-Shirts. Kept us cool enough to get to sleep & finally it must have cool down enough.

Next morning, we left for higher ground. Closest place from checking paper roadmaps, North unit of the Grand Canyon. Yep, it was nice and cool up there. Daytime and chilly at night. In a forest service campground just outside of the park. Of course, the Park's CG was full.

Several years before we had a TT, we had a 3 tier camper shell. My wife & I, on the way to SoCal, stopped at a new AZ state park north of Tucson (Picacho Peak SP - Elevation 2,000'). It was late getting there. Found a site, setup for a nice sleep. Man it was still hot. Hadn't cool off. Somewhat low elevation. I had a very small 6 to 8 inch electric fan. The site had electric, so we ran an extension cord to the fan. It helped a lot. But a Thunder Storm helped much more, it didn't rain on us, but it did cool the night off. Only time we ever used the little fan.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #26

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
FanTastic Vent - Product - Endless Breeze will do double duty both in and out of the trailer. I don't know how it will hang off of your windows but it fits nicely on the older square style. Blows both in and out.
Here is a photo showing how we hang it off the window

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-760443057.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	388.8 KB
ID:	61542
Old 07-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #27

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
I bought the Endless Breeze last winter for use this summer on our trips and I use it almost everyday. Very impressed by the air movement, noise level, and size. I run it off my solar system almost constantly and it barely makes a difference in my battery power. I would recommend it for anyone looking for a multipurpose fan for there egg.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #28

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have used one of these with good success while camping without electric, it works for around 3 hours and by then you are asleep. Amazon.com: 12 Volt 12v Portable Air Conditioner for Ice Cooler Chest: Automotive
Attached Images