Travelling alone - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #15

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Check eBay as well for audio books. I got the hobbit and lotr for less then $20 shipped to me...cheaper then if I bought the 4 of them in paperback from a bookstore....

I'm starting to see your point about the dog too lol. I've been grounded the last few weekends with my dad in the hospital.... he's out and I can get away and my friends seem to all be off seeing their significant others lol....would be nice to have some company lol.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
While a dog makes a great companion, remember most of our national parks don't allow them on trails. Same for some state parks. If you like to hike, leaving them in the trailer or a parked tow vehicle isn't good...

Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #17

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I guess times have changed... 20 years ago I used to hike up to sunfish pond at the Delawarewwater gap with my dog for overnites often....sigh rulez suck lol

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
I must be the exception - I can't stand audio books. Not sure why, but they seem to demand too much attention, or, if they don't, my mind wanders off & I loose track of the story. I do love to read real books, (although not while driving) usually a couple per week.

While driving I listen to my local public radio station using their app (WRVO - mostly news & talk) or, when I'm in the mood for music, Pandora. I do have XM radio, but generally only use it when I'm in a dead cell data area.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #19

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Still loving and using my AM/FM radio.
But do have to use CD's rather than 4/8 track and cassettes.
The newer vehicles just don't know what we had.

I prefer textbooks over other types.
Hated school, but love learning. I'm the best teacher I ever had......LOL
Old 09-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #20

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
I think if I traveled with someone else, someone would die after about 3 days (That's my "social" limit.)

Get a dog..they LOVE to hear you talk! :-)
Looking at Gina's avatar, I'm convinced that I would enjoy having that dog along! Cutest beagle ever! (Gina, if you look half as good as that, you can come along for 2 days as well... not 3, I'm not ready to die yet )

Bob, everyone's different. So what works for one person might not work for another. Keep trying things, so you can find your comfort zone.

I would think that traveling alone can't be any worse than sitting at home alone. But maybe you have a good support group of folks around your place that you are missing when you travel? Just wondering.

Personally, after RVing alone for several years now, I really enjoy it. Having my wife along on a trip to Michigan this June was definitely less liberating.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #21

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I like being alone.

My money, my decison where I go, who I decide to talk to, what music is on the tug radio (I know ALL the words to 60s-70s Rock 'N Roll) and NO one wants to hear me sing... where I stop, where I camp, etc. Being single is liberating, not lonely. I think it's a mind-set. I don't think it's dimished because I don't share with a spouse/partnet... for the first time... I don't worry about other's NEEDS, it's all ABOUT ME!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #22

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I like being alone.

My money, my decison where I go, who I decide to talk to, what music is on the tug radio (I know ALL the words to 60s-70s Rock 'N Roll) and NO one wants to hear me sing... where I stop, where I camp, etc. Being single is liberating, not lonely. I think it's a mind-set. I don't think it's dimished because I don't share with a spouse/partnet... for the first time... I don't worry about other's NEEDS, it's all ABOUT ME!
Ah yes, Donna. I hear ya.

Fran
Old 09-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #23

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
To those that have been single for a number of years, those that have never had the experience of your very best friend being your partner. A partner where you share every aspect of your life and your partner does likewise. The loss of a partner can be pretty difficult. The adjustment to being by yourself for first time in many years can be very hard. It takes time to adjust, it takes time to find a new purpose, it takes time to find a joy to life. The activities might change in many ways. Some will carry on with the things that were done when they were two, others will change to new activities. We need to allow our friends to as they need, and support them in their decisions. It does no good, only possible harm, to try to convince them to continue doing the same things they did when they were two.

That's my 2 cents worth on the subject.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #24

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
To those that have been single for a number of years, those that have never had the experience of your very best friend being your partner. A partner where you share every aspect of your life and your partner does likewise. The loss of a partner can be pretty difficult. The adjustment to being by yourself for first time in many years can be very hard. It takes time to adjust, it takes time to find a new purpose, it takes time to find a joy to life. The activities might change in many ways. Some will carry on with the things that were done when they were two, others will change to new activities. We need to allow our friends to as they need, and support them in their decisions. It does no good, only possible harm, to try to convince them to continue doing the same things they did when they were two.

That's my 2 cents worth on the subject.
Good post. It takes time to sort out what was me and what was us, especially after so many years. Over time, you will find what makes you happy, as opposed to what you might initially think should make you happy. It will happen, but it takes time.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #25

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Good post. It takes time to sort out what was me and what was us, especially after so many years. Over time, you will find what makes you happy, as opposed to what you might initially think should make you happy. It will happen, but it takes time.
That's the most difficult...I know what "we" liked and wanted...not so sure about "me".

Mon
Old 09-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #26

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
Just got home from Colorado, being stranded for an extra day in Estes Park, rain, mud, and driving on a stretch of road with marble size hail on it. First trip ever without someone else being along. Don't like it. Might not do it again unless I can find somebody to go along. Without the satellite radio that came with the Buick, I'd have gone nuts, maybe nutsier than I already did. FWIW.

I'm going to be a bit bold and offer a little advice. First and foremost don't do anything you wish you had not done later, such as sell your trailer, house or any belongings. Give yourself some time.

Second if after a period of time you would still like to travel but with a traveling companion there's lots of places to look for a traveling companion without romantic commitments. Senior centers and churches are a couple of places.

Should you find a compatible traveling companion take several one and two night trips together.

Take your time, it's better to find out you really want to travel, rather than finding out that you don't have way across the country.

My wife and I have talked about this several times. We both hope the other will carry on with our lives in a positive manner. I think both of us would continue to travel, but any trip we had planned together would have to wait for awhile.

I wish you well and know you'll do what's right for you.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #27

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Byron, Ginny has said the same thing to our kids, "Make sure Dad gets a new navigator".

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #28

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1984 13' UHaul
Louisiana
Registry
My wife of 20 years left me this week. Thanksgiving trip is going to be tough....