Travelling alone - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Travelling alone

Just got home from Colorado, being stranded for an extra day in Estes Park, rain, mud, and driving on a stretch of road with marble size hail on it. First trip ever without someone else being along. Don't like it. Might not do it again unless I can find somebody to go along. Without the satellite radio that came with the Buick, I'd have gone nuts, maybe nutsier than I already did. FWIW.

rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Funny, but being single all my life, I find travelling WITH someone a bit stressful. Iím content with my own thoughts; I fuss about in the vehicle (play with radio, eat almonds, watch for wildlife; turn up the CB if I brought it; listen to talk on the radio (farm reports, local shows, anything like that). Whatever burns up the miles without taking my attention (too much) from driving. The miles go along.

I donít have any expectations about whether youíll ever get used to it but I hope that you keep trying.

I've got a 2 weeker coming up (LBL then Brown County). The weekends full of company and the weekdays to recover. Its a good balance for me.

Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
I've started buying audio books for long helps keep me company. I'm also thinking again about rescuing a dog.. .pluses and minuses

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Bob, I don't travel alone but when I see hail, snow, dust storms.... I also have heightened anxiety and attentiveness. When ever I can in bad weather I just stay put waiting for improvement figuring I'm retired and have time. We've waited as much as 5 days for snow to clear.
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
Name: Alice
Trailer: 2015 T@B M@X CS-S - Condo A-Go-Go
I think most libraries have books on tape (MP3 & WMA) that can be checked out and downloaded to iPod or MP3 player at home. They also have e-books to download also. I load up my iPod before taking a long trip. Haven't listened to a radio station in a long time. Since Fiction/Mysteries are my favories, I try to listen to book series like the Michael Connelly Harry Boesch series, or the Cornwell alphabet series. No commercials, fadeouts or dead spots to interrupt the story.

Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Oswego, NY
While I currently travel alone (sometimes friends in a tent join me) I understand missing a travel companion. My wife & I camped for many years, traveling all over the US & Canada. She passed away 3 1/2 years ago, and while it isn't the same, I still enjoy hitting the road. (And yes, I do find my self wishing I could share the beauty I've discovered with a companion, and admit I sometimes drive down the road talking to myself just to hear someone!)

Will be heading off for much of the remainder of this & next year mid October. Have to see what the south & southwest look like in Winter & decided to get away from our seasonal average of 150" - 200" of snow!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
Name: Sally
Trailer: Escape 21 in Nov
Having traveled alone for years, not counting a dog - or two or three- I can't recommend audible books highly enough, especially when one gets the mid day drowsies driving. Also great fun are the Teaching Company courses. College level classes, but no tests! Binoculars for bird watching help, especially when waiting for a tow vehicle, which is going to happen occasionally. And a good camera for sharing sights with internet friends helps. One can also sing aloud and no on is there to complain...
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!

Time Takes Time.

It will get better,it just does.

Hope we see you at Brown County?

Hang in there.

Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Usually when I travel, my wife and five kids are with me. I love traveling with my family, but this weekend while I drive to Seattle, to pickup some Trillium 4500 cushions, I will appreciate the time to my self.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #10
Name: Bobbie
Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970/Escape 15A
I like traveling alone when it comes to listening to an audio book instead of arguing over what music to put on the radio or making conversation. (Unless it is someone I like a lot and don't see often or dont get to talk to often.)

But I like knowing other people in the campground. And I like having people to stop and eat meals with.

I like being able to stop wherever I want- but I would like to have company to visit the sights with- so that's kind of mixed.

I think you'll get used to and enjoy some aspects of solitude but find a way to work friends into it, too. I've done a couple of overnights and one campout all alone (with the dogs) and did enjoy it, but I really prefer at least one other person nearby. Not necessarily sharing my site, though.
Bobbie Mayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #11
Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Bob, I highly second what Ed Harris has said.
I lost my soul mate as well...never knew what life was like without them as we grew up together sharing all our secrets, life, and love for mother nature. I have never enjoyed the woods or trips with anyone else more. I know how I felt the first and second and third and fourth time out alone without this person. My heart was so heavy I thought I would die. I would say to you to reach out to others, maybe help them in some small way, and enjoy each tiny little bit of another person, even if it's a stranger. Someday... you will smile while looking at something and know your loved one is smiling also. Healing is a difficult thing but it will happen in time.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #12
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
I think if I traveled with someone else, someone would die after about 3 days (That's my "social" limit.)

Get a dog..they LOVE to hear you talk! :-)
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #13
Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Get a dog!

Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post

Get a dog..they LOVE to hear you talk! :-)
Dogs will love you no matter what! And it can get your mind off yourself. Great idea!!!!!!!

Dogs attract "Babes" Ha!

Dogs give unconditional love!

Dogs are attentive to your emotions.

Dogs can protect you.

Dogs can make you laugh!

Dogs can lick your feet! HA!

Dogs can smell...better than you. HA!

Dogs can keep you warm when you run out of Propane.

Dogs can predict pay attention.

Dogs can exersise you...

the list can go on and on...
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #14
Name: Gayle
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper "EPod"
I also rent audiobooks along the way from Cracker Barrel. You can return them to any Cracker Barrel when you are done.
Here's How it Works

• Buy a Books-On-Audio CD at any Cracker Barrel location.
  • When you’re done, simply return it on your next Cracker Barrel visit. We’ll refund the purchase price, minus $3.49 for each week you’ve had it.
  • Do it again!
Audiobooks | Cracker Barrel

Ms. Gayle 2010 EggCamper (Purchased April 2012)
Camped in 2012-IA, MO, NE, WY, MT, UT, NM, AZ, TX/2013-AR, LA, AL, FL, GA, SC, NC, TN, KY, KS, CO/2014-FL, MO, MN, MI, WI, IA/2015-SD, IA, MO, OK, TX/2016-AR, MS, FL, MO
Ms. Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote