Trek begins tomorrow! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2010, 10:44 AM   #1

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
Trek begins tomorrow!

Yippie! Tomorrow we leave for a six month camping trip.

We will travel directly to Bend Oregon for a starting location and move south from there as winter moves in. We expect to be be at Quartzite Az. by January for thr big todo there. Then to Texas to visit friends and family. March will find us in Lakeland Fl. as volunteers for the Sun & Fun EAA fly in.

With luck we will be able to meet other FiberglasRv people enroute!

Will post commentary and pix when able.
Bud Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:45 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Great!
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Wow! What a trip you have planned, and traveling directly to Bend Oregon is quite a 'first leg'! Hope you stop and take a few breaks!

Have a great 6 months following the warm weather back to the SE. Look forward to your occasional post and pics.

Penney

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:33 AM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Sounds like a great trip. If you are looking to stop in N.California I will be camp host at Cattle Camp, near Mt. Shasta. It is one of two great Forest Service Campgrounds 17 to 25 miles East of I-5 on Hwy 89. The other is Fowler's Campground. There is also a nice RV park in Mt. Shasta and one in McCloud if you want full hookups. I'll bI would love to see you or any other FGRVers who might stop by.

P.S. Never been to Sun 'N Fun. Envy you the opportunity. If you stop by we could talk Home Builts.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:07 PM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Maybe you've posted this already...

What route are you taking from Lynchburg to Bend? I hope you plan to take your time and enjoy the sights along the way. Every region has its own unique beauty and the people are great, too! Stop and smell the roses!!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:33 PM   #6

We intend to only travel 200 miles each day in order to keep it relaxing. We would take longer to get to Bend, but we want to get in some of the PNW experience before winter sets in.
We could have started earlier, but we were intent on attending the Glen Beck Rally in Washington last Saturday.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:15 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Hopefully we will see you in Quartzsite at a rally. Have a great trip, sounds wonderful!
Old 08-31-2010, 05:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
Maybe you've posted this already...

What route are you taking from Lynchburg to Bend? I hope you plan to take your time and enjoy the sights along the way. Every region has its own unique beauty and the people are great, too! Stop and smell the roses!!
Lynchburg to Kansas city, via I64 and I70.

St Louis to Ogden via I29 & I80.

Odgen to Ontario Id. via I84 & I15.

Ontario to Bend via US 20
Old 08-31-2010, 06:26 PM   #9

** Massacre Rocks State Park Idaho is a neat place, very nice setting. **

By small lakes, but in a neat setting: Curt Gowdy State Park "located just 24 miles west of Cheyenne and 24 miles east of Laramie; seven sections of richly varied landscape, flora and fauna decorate the foothills of the Laramie Mountains. The beautiful attractions within Curt Gowdy State Park are near the crossroads of two major interstates, I-80 and I-25. There are three reservoirs, Granite, Crystal and North Crow. Granite offers excellent rainbow trout and kokanee salmon fishing as well as space for water sports. Crystal, the smallest of the reservoirs, has shoreline fishing for brown trout, rainbow trout and kokanee salmon. Also, enjoy boating while at Crystal (15 horsepower limit). North Crow Reservoir is located 5 miles west of the Headquarter's Building. This is an unimproved fishing area. There are no picnic tables, water supply, comfort stations, and is day-use only—very natural." We stayed near the small lake years ago, the park was fairly new at the time.

Pacific Northwest Information: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...1.cfm#23344646
Old 08-31-2010, 06:55 PM   #10

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I loved that Curt Gowdy area of Wyoming. I didn't stay there but rather was travelling along I-80 parallel to the road to CG SP and saw a little tent sign so I turned off. Went into to one of the nicest little Forest Service campgrounds I've been in lately.

Hey, I'll keep an eye out for you around Bend. You may be long gone by the time I head that way but I'm going into Oregon after the No. Cal. McArthur-Burney SP gathering. I'm leaving Burney Sunday September 19th and after about 3 days at Lava Beds NP. I'll enter Oregon and be travelling along Highway 97 for about 5 days. I'll most likely go through Bend about Sept. 25.

Green Jeep Cherokee towing 13 Scamp named "Puff"

I watch for you.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:54 PM   #11

O.K. we have made it to the tiny town of Chappell NB. and are in a small campground there. Last night we stayed in a lovely park in Aurora NB. water and power for a donation.
Tomorrow we overnight at Vedauwoo Glen park where there is great scenery amid huge piles of rocks.
Oh, and would the gentleman who did the neat mods to his trailer who lives in Bend kindly message me with a phone # as we would like to touch base with him.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:10 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Kennedy View Post
Oh, and would the gentleman who did the neat mods to his trailer who lives in Bend kindly message me with a phone # as we would like to touch base with him.
Bud, are you asking about Robert Johans? You can send him a PM from the link I provided.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #13

Perhaps you can glean something useful from these for later on your EggTrek:
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Yuma to Tucson, what not to miss>

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Van Horn,Tx. to Show Low,Az.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: San Antonio visit: looking for a recommendation
Old 09-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #14

Thanks for the tip about Aurora, Nebraska. We go that way every now and then and it's good to know about the park that has water and electric service. We have stayed at a KOA near Grand Island, but this sounds good, too.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #15

Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT13 ft ('The Mothball')
Ha!
I thought NB stood for New Brunswick and thought - wow they drove far!
Actually now that I look at Google maps, assuming VA is Virginia, it really would be about the same distance you've traveled to Nebraska.
(New Brunwick is on the other side of Maine for those who know the geography of our provinces as well as I know the geography of your states!)

Have fun Bud. I dream of a long CT-13 trip myself. Perhaps across your country so I can get the geography down through personal experience!

Bridget
Ottawa (The Nations Capital) [Yes, really, it is not Toronto (TO)], Ontario (ON), Canada (Ca)
Bridget T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Nebraska = NE LOL

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget T View Post
Ha!
I thought NB stood for New Brunswick and thought - wow they drove far!
Actually now that I look at Google maps, assuming VA is Virginia, it really would be about the same distance you've traveled to Nebraska.
(New Brunwick is on the other side of Maine for those who know the geography of our provinces as well as I know the geography of your states!)

Have fun Bud. I dream of a long CT-13 trip myself. Perhaps across your country so I can get the geography down through personal experience!

Bridget
Ottawa (The Nations Capital) [Yes, really, it is not Toronto (TO)], Ontario (ON), Canada (Ca)
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:14 AM   #17

My first thought was New Brunswick, too, but then I looked back at Bud's travel agenda and realized he was in Nebraska. Traveling I-80 is the quickest way across that looooong state, but they have interesting prairie scenery all the way. I especially love the change of grasses and trees from state to state. Contrary to what other car drivers say, no state is boring to drive through if you really take a look. Everything is unique!
Old 09-09-2010, 09:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
Contrary to what other car drivers say, no state is boring to drive through if you really take a look. Everything is unique!
Very True!
Old 09-09-2010, 10:48 PM   #19

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget T View Post
Bridget
Well then, if Andy really might let us start using handles and I call my little Ranger the TONKA Toy. Maybe I will consider using the TOONCa TONKA as my handle.

Thanks for the thought Bridget.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #20

Shucks, you guys never let me get away with anything.
Anyhow, now we are in the united state of ID. If you tell me there is a Canadian province of " Indisn Digs" I will surely commit harri carri.