Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
snopes.com: Liquid Soap Tick Removal

Old 06-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #30

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
Modern recommendations for tick removal are a lot different from what we did on the farm as a kid...
Long ago, a forester recommended to me lighter colored, long sleeves and long pants for hiking. Not only can you see the ticks more easily before they get inside the clothes to your skin, but you can spray the clothes without spraying DEET your skin.
Check frequently, especially after hiking and after your shower. You'll often find them before they get attached. Have your spouse or friend check your back, back of the neck, and top of your head where you can't easily see, or use a mirror. The sooner you get the tick off you or your pet, the better.
If the dog camps with us, he gets brushed, combed, and inspected each evening. The truck tailgate is a good height for a grooming table, and he likes the attention. It's hard to see the ticks in his thick hair-like dark cockapoo fur, but I often find them with my fingertips.
The soap and sanitizing gel are best reserved for after inspection and tick removal. Wash your hands, the affected area, and sanitize both. I sanitize the tweezers, too, before putting them back in the first-aid kit. I put an antibiotic cream on a tick bite area for a few days.
Don't squish a tick that you've removed. That can spread the germs. Handle it as little as possible, preferably never touching it with anything but the tweezers.
Here's an interesting test done on different tick removal devices versus narrow tweezers: http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~acarolog/needham/tickgone.htm

Old 06-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #31

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1985 Bigfoot 19 w gaucho bed
Washington
I was babysitting my son's yellow lab a few weeks ago after he had been out hiking with my son and daughter in law. I found 5 ticks on Darby. Two were already as big as the end of my little fingernail. I looked on the internet and found out that for the most part, putting any liquid or a match to them only makes them hold on tighter. One site suggested a good pair of tweezers and parting all the hair, grab the tick by the head and slowly and gently push the tick out. When it is out drop it in alcohol to kill it. I tried it and it worked wonderfully. I cleaned the skin where the tick had been and checked it later and again the next day. There were no signs of redness and/or swelling.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #32
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryNPaul View Post
Here's an interesting test done on different tick removal devices versus narrow tweezers: http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~acarolog/needham/tickgone.htm
Excellent link. Thanks, Raz