Trick for removing ticks - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #21

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Just pull 'em out, clean up, and be done with it.

I grew up in the tick heaven of northern Wisconsin and the UP. The best defense is to cover up- boots and jeans.

I remember one really bad year where you could see all of the little brown specks on the blades of grass in the ditch.
841K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #22

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Guys and Gals do not coat the tick in any thing to get them to let go!
IMPORTANT: Contrary to popular belief - DO NOT apply substances such as petroleum jelly, finger nail polish, finger nail polish remover, repellents, pesticides, or a lighted match to the tick while it is attached. These materials are either ineffective, or worse, might agitate the tick and cause it to force more infective fluid into the wound site.
Read/watch this first!
Remove Ticks Easily with Tick Twister®
And this.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb4...d-playreloff-1
I have no affiliation with this company.
I am a entomologist (bug guy) So I know a thing or two.
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #23

Name: Imogene
Trailer: 2013 Casita
Missouri
Ticks and chiggers are the state bugs of Missouri. For chigger season people that work in the woods or fields wrap duct tape around their pant legs.

After a tick bite i dab a bit of witch hazel on the bite so I don't scratch the site so much. The seed ticks can be bad as you don't often see them until you feel them and by then they have been on you for several hours. Around the ozarks we are not shy about scratching in public cause everyone else is doing so.

The best advice is: stay indoors all the time, don't have dogs or cats that go outside, live inside a plastic bubble.....just kidding.
Imo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
kirkman, do you know if the Tick Twister is usually able to keep the head from detaching and staying in the bite? I ask because I've read a couple of medical advice websites, as well as the CDC (Centers for Disease Control) site, that say never twist a tick because it will twist the head off. And most of the ticks in the Tick Twister videos are not shown closely enough for the viewer to see if the body was still attached.

Other than that concern, the device does look effective. (And I don't believe everything the government says, either.)
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #25

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
We use a Tick Key to get them off the dogs. It works and here is the link:

Tick Key Home - The Easiest To Use Tick Removal Device On Earth

Sandy C.
Sandy Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #26

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I don't know, I suspect the tick head thing is more myth than fact. I've pulled lots of ticks off myself, horses, dogs, and can't really remember ever losing their heads. They have such small heads, it doesn't make a lot of sense that they'd be falling off all the time.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #27

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I guess the reason I'm interested in the head issue is, I think the head broke off the tick I removed with tweezers last week. So I definitely want a removal tool now.

I hope it works its way out soon. Yech.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #28

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Yes it keeps the head from coming off. It removes the hole tick.
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:55 AM   #29

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
snopes.com: Liquid Soap Tick Removal
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #30

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Modern recommendations for tick removal are a lot different from what we did on the farm as a kid...
Long ago, a forester recommended to me lighter colored, long sleeves and long pants for hiking. Not only can you see the ticks more easily before they get inside the clothes to your skin, but you can spray the clothes without spraying DEET your skin.
Check frequently, especially after hiking and after your shower. You'll often find them before they get attached. Have your spouse or friend check your back, back of the neck, and top of your head where you can't easily see, or use a mirror. The sooner you get the tick off you or your pet, the better.
If the dog camps with us, he gets brushed, combed, and inspected each evening. The truck tailgate is a good height for a grooming table, and he likes the attention. It's hard to see the ticks in his thick hair-like dark cockapoo fur, but I often find them with my fingertips.
The soap and sanitizing gel are best reserved for after inspection and tick removal. Wash your hands, the affected area, and sanitize both. I sanitize the tweezers, too, before putting them back in the first-aid kit. I put an antibiotic cream on a tick bite area for a few days.
Don't squish a tick that you've removed. That can spread the germs. Handle it as little as possible, preferably never touching it with anything but the tweezers.
Here's an interesting test done on different tick removal devices versus narrow tweezers: http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~acarolog/needham/tickgone.htm
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #31

Trailer: 2010 Escape 15 ft
I was babysitting my son's yellow lab a few weeks ago after he had been out hiking with my son and daughter in law. I found 5 ticks on Darby. Two were already as big as the end of my little fingernail. I looked on the internet and found out that for the most part, putting any liquid or a match to them only makes them hold on tighter. One site suggested a good pair of tweezers and parting all the hair, grab the tick by the head and slowly and gently push the tick out. When it is out drop it in alcohol to kill it. I tried it and it worked wonderfully. I cleaned the skin where the tick had been and checked it later and again the next day. There were no signs of redness and/or swelling.
Cathy Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #32
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryNPaul View Post
Here's an interesting test done on different tick removal devices versus narrow tweezers: http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~acarolog/needham/tickgone.htm
Excellent link. Thanks, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote