Tried really hard but couldn't make ourselves do it... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2017, 07:35 AM   #1

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Tried really hard but couldn't make ourselves do it...

We shopped and shopped and shopped and just couldn't make ourselves give away a pile-o-money for a stickie trailer. Jus' couldn't do it. We tried, honest we did; we looked at Lance and Forest River and T@B and others...we just couldn't justify the poor return on investment. So, we bought another molded fiberglass trailer and we're feelin' pretty good about it!

Lot's of those "other guys" say their trailers are made of fiberglass, in panels, but they just don't measure up. We have decided to go old school again and selected a 1988 Bigfoot fifth wheel. Yup, I'll be driving to Canada very soon to import our new-to-us trailer.

It's another ADVENTURE!!!

Bill (not Laura)
Old 10-23-2017, 07:45 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
!!!

good for you!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:16 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Congratulations!!! I saw and admired the one you bought- the interior has been very tastefully updated. I sincerely hope this one is exactly what you need! I'll look forward to hearing about your new adventures...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:20 AM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Bill and Laura, you're right. What an adventure! How far up into Canada do you have to go? I hope you make it back before the snow flies! We're new at the fiberglass thing, about 3 years, but have been to quite a few rallies. I could count the Bigfoot Trailers I've seen on one hand. Every one of them was a gem!
Good luck and have some fun along the way home.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:02 AM   #5

Missouri
deal

bill I saw the pictures very nice rig and it has the dual wheels. they guy I bought the 13f stevie from stated that was the big selling point to him. I live the looks of your rig.

you got a high quality rig for 1/3 of the price new! At least!

bob
Old 10-23-2017, 09:45 AM   #6

Name: R.T.
Trailer: Big Foot
Georgia
Wise choice. Good luck.
dblcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:43 AM   #7

Name: Charley
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Oregon Coast
I concur with your choice and research. FiberGlass is the way to go for sure!

Charley
Old 10-23-2017, 11:55 AM   #8

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
I just weighed my 13 foot Boler and amen to fiberglass! I have a full propane tank, 63 lb deep cycle battery, 25 pounds of stabilizing jacks and another 10 lbs of miscellaneous stuff. The trailer came in at 1140 lbs.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:54 PM   #9

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I'm very jealous! A 5th wheel doesn't work for my current lifestyle, but if I took nothing into account except what trailer would be the most comfortable for me, it'd be a Bigfoot 5th wheel.

Nice work!
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:22 AM   #10

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Did you get the Bigfoot yet? Just curious to see it.
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:01 AM   #11

Kentucky
Registry
Bigfoot Adventure

I have returned from the Great White North!

Although some Canadians might think of my comic reference to Bob & Doug McKenzie less that complimentary, it was a great trip and truly an adventure.

I left work on Wednesday afternoon at 2:00 pm, knowing that I had packed my gear, including emergency tools for the road trip, the night before, and all I had to do was throw my stuff into the truck and head North. I stopped off at Laura's place of employment just to let her know I was "on the road again," and to steal a kiss.

My original objective for Wednesday was to simply get North of Cincinnati and avoid the rush hour traffic while cutting a large section of the route off before hitting a hotel. Laura and I had talked about this plan the night before and the more I thought about it, the more it sounded silly to lay up so early in the day, so I changed plans on the fly and reoriented my goal to get as far North as possible before I felt too tired to continue. Turns out, I was able to go much farther than originally intended.

By Wednesday night I had made it to the border between the US and Canada in Marysville, MI. Whew!!! I felt good, so I just kept on driving...and it worked out much better this way. Marysville is a little town on the Southwest side of Lake Huron's Southern tip and only about three miles from the border crossing at Port Huron in Sarnia.

After the drama of obtaining a passport and the anxiety of what the border crossing might cost in terms of time, the actual event was very anti-climatic. It took less than five minutes and I was driving away from the border crossing guard booth with a complete sense of dismay clearly written on my face...the border guard informed me that my trip, planned for a few hours to Owen Sound would take me four hours, each way! FOUR HOURS!!! That's not what the GPS suggested...

Well, the GPS failed to factor in the fact that Canada doesn't use anything like the US Freeway system for roads. Most of the speed limits, posted in KPH (kilometers per hour) are about 45-60 MPH. The roads in Canada were better than I had anticipated, especially as compared to the freeways in Michigan (let's not get me started on the MI road conditions). I made good time despite being passed with such regularity that I felt as if I were standing still at a stop sign.

Upon arrival at my destination, I was informed by my hosts that Canadian speed limits are "only suggestions" that nobody takes too seriously. WHAT?! Not wanting to spend any time in a Canadian jail or court room, I decided that I'd obey the posted limits and not risk any extra time explaining myself way up yonder.

After completing our transaction and gathering the requisite paperwork, I hit the road for the return trip to the US. See, there was a major winter event brewing out in the middle of Lake Huron that was fix'n to blow ashore as night fell and I needed to "get outta dodge" before the sun set and the temperatures plummeted. The race was on!

As I left Owen Sound, I pulled up to a "T" intersection facing Lake Huron to observe five foot whitecaps rolling ashore whipped up by 30-50 mph winds. It was exciting! Oops, I forgot to lock the fifth wheel hitch down to the ball. However, Clifford didn't hesitate pulling the new trailer that we've named Gladys (just glad-it's us she came home to) and we rolled on through that mess of storm front, almost without incident.

Gladys felt the need to leave a parting gift to her Canadian friends. We have cleared the real bad weather including the lake effect winds when Gladys decided that she didn't need that ol' awning anymore. I looked in the side mirror to observe that the awning had opened up at about 40 mph and that the awning itself was shredded. I pulled into the parking lost of a refueling station and quickly cut the fabric loose using my trusty pocket knife. Those boys a that pizza shop are gonna wonder what that stripy piece of fabric could be from???

We passed back into the US at the border crossing without any more fuss that when we left and I was back at the same hotel in Marysville, MI by 9:00 pm. I stopped for a six pack and ordered pizza delivered to celebrate our joint arrival back in the USA. We still had several hundred miles of rough Michigan roads to cross to get back onto smooth sailing in Ohio but Gladys handled everything thrown at us with grace and style.

We traveled over 650 miles, without a visible license plate, coming home to Kentucky. At one point, a Ohio State police cruiser drove behind us for over five miles without ever stopping us, Gladys, Clifford 'n me. I guess he was just checking Gladys out.

Since arriving home I have been able to complete the vehicle transfer and registration, obtaining a "travel trailer" license plate, and we are completely legal now. Gladys has been formally registered with the DMV and is a legal immigrant!

Looking forward to our next adventure! Bill(not Laura)
Old 11-17-2017, 10:31 AM   #12
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Great story, thanks for sharing. No paper work at the border?

We often travel through Ontario on our way west. Beats I90 and Chicago. The Canadians are the nicest people, very polite and friendly. But once behind the wheel watch out. Trying to do the speed limit is an adventure. Also don't get between them and the Tim Hortons entrance at lunch time.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:57 AM   #13

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Great story, thanks for sharing. No paper work at the border?

We often travel through Ontario on our way west. Beats I90 and Chicago. The Canadians are the nicest people, very polite and friendly. But once behind the wheel watch out. Trying to do the speed limit is an adventure. Also don't get between them and the Tim Hortons entrance at lunch time.
Raz, no paperwork of any kind at either point of the border crossing; US or Can. Less than five minutes either time.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:08 PM   #14

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
Raz, no paperwork of any kind at either point of the border crossing; US or Can. Less than five minutes either time.
So I take it that all you needed was the signed over portion of the Ontario registration, nothing else at US customs, I thought it was more complicated to import a Canadian trailer.

Glad you found out that crazy slow 80km/h speed limit in ON was not a fast rule, one of the reasons we are glad to be retired in MB, most of even our two lane highways have a 100km/h limit.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:09 PM   #15

Missouri
fun fun fun

Sounds like you had a fun trip and a good no problem trip at that! Something to put into the old memory bank!

bob
Old 11-18-2017, 12:15 PM   #16

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
So I take it that all you needed was the signed over portion of the Ontario registration, nothing else at US customs, I thought it was more complicated to import a Canadian trailer.

Glad you found out that crazy slow 80km/h speed limit in ON was not a fast rule, one of the reasons we are glad to be retired in MB, most of even our two lane highways have a 100km/h limit.

Adrian
Emers,

The border guards, either side, US or Canadian, didn't look at any of the paperwork from the trailer. Nothing.

I drove up to the guard booth on the US side of the border and said, "I just bought this camper and I'm going home." The response was, "Do you have your ID and vehicle registration?" I provided my passport and truck registration and the guard looked at it for about 20 seconds and handed them back to me say, "Have a good day."

Three minutes tops.

I asked them if I needed any import paperwork and he said, "Nope."

That's it...