Trillium 1300 - OLD versus NEW - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #1

Name: Franck
Trailer: Westfalia
Quebec
Trillium 1300 - OLD versus NEW

I'm not in the buyer mode yet, our VW van remains to be sold first; but I do receive email alert almost on a daily basis to keep me aware of market values, different set up, accessories etc....

So today's question is: Old versus NEW(ish) trillium.
I see very nice old ones going for about 6 to 7k as well as used recent model going for 10k and up.

Pros - Old: Jalousie Windows - love them!, cheaper and lighter than new ones.
Pros - New: Much nicer and more contemporary interior, particularly the wall covering / insulation

Cond's - Old: will need refurbishing of something at some point,
Cond's - New: Heavier, more expensive (no cash left for customization), sliding windows.

The weight factor has more to do with my ability to move it by hand in tight spaces - not the on road towing as such!

Thanks for sharing
franck2cv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Franck, I would be surprised if the weight difference is significant. While the classic Trilliums claimed to be very light, the facts don't bear that out. The higher weight that you perceive is likely just a more realistic weight. My 4500's are light enough that when I first bought one, I used to pick up the tongue with my hands and move the trailer. I use a dolly now. It has a brake dead man switch, which make me less nervous of being run over by my own trailer.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rol-50954.html

The sliding windows are on the Outback / Trilliums sold in Calgary. The actual Trillium brand sold in the US has a version of the Jalousie style windows.
The web site for the two brands are:
Trillium RV | Vintage Style / Legendary Quality / Activity-Driven Design
Compact lightweight fiberglass Outback travel trailers Calgary | Trillium Trailers

Kinda confusing, I know.
I personally prefer the style of the older trailers, and I have not paid more then $3200 for any of my four Trilliums. At $10000, you would have enough for at least two classic Trilliums, if you shop around.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #3

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I have a strong preference for the color of the older Trilliums! Why Tom decided to go with plain white when he brought the (named) brand back is beyond me. Same is true of the (Canadian version) Outback.

Seems to me you're in a good position/area to find an older Trillium, and at a good price....since the interiors are all fiberglass rather than the more delicate wood used on some other trailers, the biggest problem you'd be likely to face on an older 1300 would be leaky windows, bad door fit, and/or bellyband problems. Most appliances would likely still work, though you might want to upgrade some of those.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
My 2010 (1400 sticker) weighs a little less than 1700 lbs with 1 propane tank, 1 battery, about 1/2 tank water, and our stuff. The ne ones have been made in 4 different locations. Some were made by Escape, 2009 maybe? I suspect they will be of better build quality than my 2010. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #5

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Franck, I would be surprised if the weight difference is significant. While the classic Trilliums claimed to be very light, the facts don't bear that out. The higher weight that you perceive is likely just a more realistic weight. My 4500's are light enough that when I first bought one, I used to pick up the tongue with my hands and move the trailer. I use a dolly now. It has a brake dead man switch, which make me less nervous of being run over by my own trailer.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rol-50954.html

The sliding windows are on the Outback / Trilliums sold in Calgary. The actual Trillium brand sold in the US has a version of the Jalousie style windows.
The web site for the two brands are:
Trillium RV | Vintage Style / Legendary Quality / Activity-Driven Design
Compact lightweight fiberglass Outback travel trailers Calgary | Trillium Trailers

Kinda confusing, I know.
I personally prefer the style of the older trailers, and I have not paid more then $3200 for any of my four Trilliums. At $10000, you would have enough for at least two classic Trilliums, if you shop around.
Looks like I need to re-think my total weight target then. I'm quite minimalist and I was hoping to tow 1500 lbs max (with personal belongings, a bit of food/drinks, propane & bikes).

Thanks for the Dolly info. Although, this is something you use at home. You don't actually travel with it?
Old 05-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #6

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
..... when he brought the (named) brand back is beyond me. Same is true of the (Canadian version) Outback.

Francesca
What do you mean? Are you running the Trillium US company?
I like white very much actually.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #7

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
My 2010 (1400 sticker) weighs a little less than 1700 lbs with 1 propane tank, 1 battery, about 1/2 tank water, and our stuff. The ne ones have been made in 4 different locations. Some were made by Escape, 2009 maybe? I suspect they will be of better build quality than my 2010. Raz
In your eyes, what would be the modern design quality flaws?
Old 05-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by franck2cv View Post
Looks like I need to re-think my total weight target then. I'm quite minimalist and I was hoping to tow 1500 lbs max (with personal belongings, a bit of food/drinks, propane & bikes).

Thanks for the Dolly info. Although, this is something you use at home. You don't actually travel with it?
The dolly stays home.

The only way to keep the weight down to 1500 lb would be with a Compact Jr, or a Hunter, and only if it was a bare bones unit.

Bikes and a bike rack will add around 100 lb. Propane in a 20 lb bottle, another 30 to 40 lb. Food and drinks, could also get quite heavy depending how many drinks. Do you want a fridge? another 100 lb. Battery, another 40 lb. It adds up fast. When I first bought my Trillium 4500, I quickly realized that with a 2000 lb axle, I should not pack more then a couple hundred pounds. Because I have five kids, and we don't travel light, I upgraded the axle, and coupler to 3500 lb.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #9

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
The dolly stays home.

The only way to keep the weight down to 1500 lb would be with a Compact Jr, or a Hunter, and only if it was a bare bones unit.

Bikes and a bike rack will add around 100 lb. Propane in a 20 lb bottle, another 30 to 40 lb. Food and drinks, could also get quite heavy depending how many drinks. Do you want a fridge? another 100 lb. Battery, another 40 lb. It adds up fast. When I first bought my Trillium 4500, I quickly realized that with a 2000 lb axle, I should not pack more then a couple hundred pounds. Because I have five kids, and we don't travel light, I upgraded the axle, and coupler to 3500 lb.
Thank you David.
Five kids...! Must be somewhat difficult to travel lightly.
I only have one boy, no pet!
The hitch I will install soon is a 2500lbs and I expect a standard Trillium axle to be rated the same. So that leaves me with a sufficient range.
With the van, we normally do the grocery at the end of the journey so food and drinks would only be a concern for the last few miles.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #10

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
FYI, Franck:

I have a '78 4500 and it's loaded-to-go weight hovers at just under 2,000 pounds. It also has the original 2200 pound axle...I think David's installed a heavier axle on his main trailer to accommodate heavier loads. Since you're contemplating the smaller 1300 (old or new), I think you should be able to stay well under 2,000 pounds unless you anticipate hauling big volumes of water/wastewater etc.

Best of luck!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #11

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
FYI, Franck:

I have a '78 4500 and it's loaded-to-go weight hovers at just under 2,000 pounds. It also has the original 2200 pound axle...I think David's installed a heavier axle on his main trailer to accommodate heavier loads. Since you're contemplating the smaller 1300 (old or new), I think you should be able to stay well under 2,000 pounds unless you anticipate hauling big volumes of water/wastewater etc.

Best of luck!

Francesca
Thanks Francesca.
I was way off with 1500 but under 2000 is still reasonably light.

Tags
trillium