Trillium Door woes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2012, 06:00 PM   #1

Name: Lynne
Trailer: "Limelyte" Trillium 1976
Alberta
Trillium Door woes

Hi! All Here we are 2 days away from our Labour Day Weekend get-away and the screws on the hinge of our 1976 Trillium door have decided to pop out. Can anyone enlighten us how to fix this problem?
Lynners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
The door hinges on my Trillium 1300 are bolted on. The previous owner drilled through and replaced screws with bolts. Not the prettiest but functional.
Scouter Dave
Old 08-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #3

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynners
Hi! All Here we are 2 days away from our Labour Day Weekend get-away and the screws on the hinge of our 1976 Trillium door have decided to pop out. Can anyone enlighten us how to fix this problem?
I'm not sure how a trillium door is made, but we had problems with our burro door early summer. We are doing a complete repair now, but for the summer, we injected epoxy, allowed it to set up and drilled and re-screwed. It held fine for the 3,000 miles we did.
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
For a temp fix, make a wooden plug the same size as the screw hole, dip it in glue and tap it in, let it set overnight and insert a SS screw. Me, I'd just pop a bolt thru there and be done with it.
Richard Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:37 AM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
JB Weld or epoxy to fill hole and re-drill. I love JB Weld for this type of thing, bonds well to fiberglass and as hard as metal. Just mix a little on a piece of cardboard and put around inside of worn screw hole with a tooth pick. If a little flows over the inside of the wall and won't show that will be an even stronger hold.

Wait 24 hrs. drill and re-screw.

You may well find this is a permanent repair. I have filled a stripped bolt hole this way, re-drilled and tapped new threads and it did not fail. Car died a couple years later but that bolt hole was still good.

Might take two applications to totally fill hole but it does not sound like you need that, just something for the screw to grip
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:42 AM   #6

Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Washington
Registry
I concur. Fill the hole with epoxy or bondo glass; then redrill.

I did this on my trillium last month. I used about 3 or 4 toothpicks to fill up the space along with the filler. Once dry, I cut this off flush, then redrilled.

Note: use caution about how deep you drill.

--Fred and Natalie
1978 Trillium 4500 "Bernerwagon"
freddo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:46 AM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hello Lynne and welcome to the forum. We bought a new Trillium that came with poorly installed hinges (at no extra charge ). Yours will have wood that the door hinge screws go into. Unfortunately, over time it rots. To do a permanent fix you have to remove that wood and replace it with something that will hold the screws. We used metal plates and replaced the screws with bolts. While it looks daunting, it really is not that bad. Since your hinges came from the factory properly aligned, you can use the existing holes. As such you simply need to access the back of the screws and replace the wood. Here's what we did. The pictures of the door frame might be useful. Raz

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...air-47624.html
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:31 AM   #8

Name: Lynne
Trailer: "Limelyte" Trillium 1976
Alberta
Thank you all, for your advise on fixing the hinge. My husband is using the epoxy and re-insert screws fix for now and will look into a permanent fix later when time permits. If required!)
As novice FG ers, I really appreciate the knowledge and information that is so readily shared on this site.
Lynne
Lynners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I used the putty Alf describes in this thread and it is still holding fine.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...lem-44504.html
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #10

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
my guess,,,having never seen this one,,,is the jb weld type epoxy fix.

though i have enough redneck in me to think duct tape,,,,but thats probably not a good idea.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #11

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
my guess,,,having never seen this one,,,is the jb weld type epoxy fix.

though i have enough redneck in me to think duct tape,,,,but thats probably not a good idea.
If your using the duct tape around the bungee hooks that hold the door on to keep them from scratching up the FG why wouldn't it be a good idea?
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium