Trillium Manufacturers = Confusing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #15

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
But, none of this history explains why Out Back, is not represented very well on this site. By all measures, they are a current manufacturer.
B.T.W. I have recently separated the two words, Out Back, because that is how it is on their website. Probably at trade mark thing.
Their logo shows two words, but every place else it's one word... They really, really need to update their website. Giving a base price from 2010 on the home page is very bad marketing.
Attached Thumbnails
Outback-01.jpg  

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #16

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
To screw it up even more for the newbees... Escape Trailer Industries, at one time, molded the bodies for TrilliumRV. So, are (fairly) recent owners of a Trillium, now owners of an Outback build, one of several different USA company builds or an Escape built body Trillium?
Did Escape ever actually build/mold any Trilliums (brand) for Tom Young at all?

I thought that the partnership went south (pun intended) before any were actually made under the Trillium name, production then going to Mattman.

Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #17

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
I still wonder if they are or are not in business, the Outback one so does any actually know for sure if they are still in business. I have no response on my email yet but it has only been a day but, frankly, if I email someone that sells something and don't get a fairly quick answer or at least an acknowledgement, I just move on and am probably not the only one.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #18

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Anecdotal evidence per Outback's continuing existence:

Another member here, Gail H, has a thread running per getting an awning for her Trillium...I having acquired mine through Outback some time ago, I advised her to contact them for help/advice. She posted yesterday that she'd done so and quotes owner Joe Thoen extensively on the subject ( link to thread). Joe's the same person who proved so helpful to me in that matter...

Don't know the means of contact- sounds as if she might have just called him, which is as a matter of fact the same way I dealt with him in 2006!

Anyway, they're still out there...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #19
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
But, none of this history explains why Out Back, is not represented very well on this site. By all measures, they are a current manufacturer.
B.T.W. I have recently separated the two words, Out Back, because that is how it is on their website. Probably at trade mark thing.
Actually, it does, David. The reason for my question was this:

When we created the list of brands on the Home Page, we decided to pretty much only list brands owned by members of the site. That has been expanded, but Outback wasn't added to the list at least in part because of the confusement of whether and what the Outback/Out back/Trillium Outback is. (If it were just a particular model of Trillium, it would not get a separate listing.)

You may remember we've had a hard time getting that Manufacturers list updated these past three years or so, because of software incompatibilities (stability issues). That may be corrected now (we were able to make some updates a few weeks ago), but the Outback did not make it into the group of additions because nobody was advocating for its inclusion. We tried to catch them all... we really did.

Now that you have brought it up again, we'll see what we can do about it.

So, thank you for your help.
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #20

Name: Albert
Trailer: Trillium (USA)
California
Registry
Just placed an order last week for a Trillium 1300 from Nohr' RV in Pleasonton, CA. It is for a Trillium made by Tom at his plant in Florence, Arizona. Can't wait to get it! We'll be taking it on the road for 4 weeks starting April 28th.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:58 PM   #21

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

I thought that the partnership went south (pun intended) before any were actually made under the Trillium name, production then going to Mattman.

Francesca
Yes Escape did build Trilliums for Tom...I was in the factory a few years ago and saw the last two Escape built Trilliums...as I remember they were fairly complete, more than just the molds.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:27 AM   #22

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Talking

The issue really is not whether or not the Outback is a Trillium or not as its pretty clear based on the history that it is. Or at least to me and I suspect many others in these parts feel it is as well ;-) In fact their webpage is still called Trilliumtrailers.com They were and may well still be using the original moulds from the 70's Trilliums built in eastern Canada. As I recall it the Canadians who are now build the Outbacks where supplying the trailers to the US for sale for finishing off up until 07 or 08? as Trillium's were they not? The whole thing/partnership went south over various issues and the trade mark battle got underway & was apparently won by the south... or at least it appears that it may have been. It was about that time that the US folks started having Escape building for them was it not? That partnership didnt last long either and again it all went south. Or at least thats how I seem to recall it. The Canadian made trailer hasnt really changed much at all & most folks around here still think of them and call them a Trillium. And yes they are still in biz.

Suspect the messy biz above is the reason the trailers regardless of where built or completed where set up here originally as simply Trillium's. Perhaps a sub category for the Outback under the Trillium heading would work given the history and where the trailers with the Trillium name on them may or may not have actually been made.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:42 AM   #23

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:

Francesca
As been indicated they sure did! Saw them with my own eyes as well.

So perhaps there should be six sub categories under the Trillium trailers heading here:

The Original Trillium's from Eastern Canada
The Original Trillium's from Alberta Canada
The US Trilliums built by Team Trillium Alberta Canada
The US Trilliums built by Escape Trailers BC Canada (using who's moulds?)
The US Trillium - current.
The Outback current being built by Team Trillium or as found at www.trilliumtrailers.com

That should pretty well cover it
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #24
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Trilliums and Escapes, living together. I think that's an Escape 19' on the back. Raz
Attached Thumbnails
image-816776919.jpg  
Old 03-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #25

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bear View Post
Just placed an order last week for a Trillium 1300 from Nohr' RV in Pleasonton, CA. It is for a Trillium made by Tom at his plant in Florence, Arizona. Can't wait to get it! We'll be taking it on the road for 4 weeks starting April 28th.
Yes, and this isn't the "Outback". I saw that dealer's website yesterday and enjoyed the pics of the two trailers they had in stock. Very nice.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #26
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
As been indicated they sure did! Saw them with my own eyes as well.

So perhaps there should be six sub categories under the Trillium trailers heading here:

The Original Trillium's from Eastern Canada
The Original Trillium's from Alberta Canada
The US Trilliums built by Team Trillium Alberta Canada
The US Trilliums built by Escape Trailers BC Canada (using who's moulds?)
The US Trillium - current.
The Outback current being built by Team Trillium or as found at Compact lightweight fiberglass Outback travel trailers Calgary | Trillium Trailers

That should pretty well cover it

As near as I can figure TrilliumRV is a trading company with one employee. The corporate head quarters was a mail box at UPS store in Carson City, Nevada. I can't speak to the present operation but in the past the trailers were built under arrangement with other companies with Tom Young selling and then delivering them. Ours was round three, built by Mattman in Brea and later in Temecula, California. Mattman built one of a kind vehicles mostly for government agencies. I think the trailers were a sideline. Raz
Old 03-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #27

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
As a bunch of others indicated, they definitely did. They were building them when I was having my 19 built in early '09. They used a Dometic/SMEV hob/sink combo spec'd in them that I used in my trailer. Reace pretty much said he had to stop building them, as the Escape line was increasing in popularity, and it was enough to just try to keep up with it. Probably a good decision on his part.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #28

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Trilliums and Escapes, living together. I think that's an Escape 19' on the back. Raz
If I am not mistaken, the trailer has an Escape on the front and the back, with a Trillium between them. The trailer in the truck is also a Trillium. Never thought of using one as a camper.