Trillium Manufacturers = Confusing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-08-2013, 10:58 PM   #21

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Did Escape ever actually build/mold any Trilliums (brand) for Tom Young at all?

I thought that the partnership went south (pun intended) before any were actually made under the Trillium name, production then going to Mattman.

Francesca
Yes Escape did build Trilliums for Tom...I was in the factory a few years ago and saw the last two Escape built Trilliums...as I remember they were fairly complete, more than just the molds.
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:27 AM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Talking

The issue really is not whether or not the Outback is a Trillium or not as its pretty clear based on the history that it is. Or at least to me and I suspect many others in these parts feel it is as well ;-) In fact their webpage is still called Trilliumtrailers.com They were and may well still be using the original moulds from the 70's Trilliums built in eastern Canada. As I recall it the Canadians who are now build the Outbacks where supplying the trailers to the US for sale for finishing off up until 07 or 08? as Trillium's were they not? The whole thing/partnership went south over various issues and the trade mark battle got underway & was apparently won by the south... or at least it appears that it may have been. It was about that time that the US folks started having Escape building for them was it not? That partnership didnt last long either and again it all went south. Or at least thats how I seem to recall it. The Canadian made trailer hasnt really changed much at all & most folks around here still think of them and call them a Trillium. And yes they are still in biz.

Suspect the messy biz above is the reason the trailers regardless of where built or completed where set up here originally as simply Trillium's. Perhaps a sub category for the Outback under the Trillium heading would work given the history and where the trailers with the Trillium name on them may or may not have actually been made.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:42 AM   #23

Registry
Quote:

Francesca
As been indicated they sure did! Saw them with my own eyes as well.

So perhaps there should be six sub categories under the Trillium trailers heading here:

The Original Trillium's from Eastern Canada
The Original Trillium's from Alberta Canada
The US Trilliums built by Team Trillium Alberta Canada
The US Trilliums built by Escape Trailers BC Canada (using who's moulds?)
The US Trillium - current.
The Outback current being built by Team Trillium or as found at www.trilliumtrailers.com

That should pretty well cover it
Old 03-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #24
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Trilliums and Escapes, living together. I think that's an Escape 19' on the back. Raz
Attached Thumbnails
image-816776919.jpg  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #25

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bear View Post
Just placed an order last week for a Trillium 1300 from Nohr' RV in Pleasonton, CA. It is for a Trillium made by Tom at his plant in Florence, Arizona. Can't wait to get it! We'll be taking it on the road for 4 weeks starting April 28th.
Yes, and this isn't the "Outback". I saw that dealer's website yesterday and enjoyed the pics of the two trailers they had in stock. Very nice.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #26
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
As been indicated they sure did! Saw them with my own eyes as well.

So perhaps there should be six sub categories under the Trillium trailers heading here:

The Original Trillium's from Eastern Canada
The Original Trillium's from Alberta Canada
The US Trilliums built by Team Trillium Alberta Canada
The US Trilliums built by Escape Trailers BC Canada (using who's moulds?)
The US Trillium - current.
The Outback current being built by Team Trillium or as found at Compact lightweight fiberglass Outback travel trailers Calgary | Trillium Trailers

That should pretty well cover it

As near as I can figure TrilliumRV is a trading company with one employee. The corporate head quarters was a mail box at UPS store in Carson City, Nevada. I can't speak to the present operation but in the past the trailers were built under arrangement with other companies with Tom Young selling and then delivering them. Ours was round three, built by Mattman in Brea and later in Temecula, California. Mattman built one of a kind vehicles mostly for government agencies. I think the trailers were a sideline. Raz
Old 03-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #27

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
As a bunch of others indicated, they definitely did. They were building them when I was having my 19 built in early '09. They used a Dometic/SMEV hob/sink combo spec'd in them that I used in my trailer. Reace pretty much said he had to stop building them, as the Escape line was increasing in popularity, and it was enough to just try to keep up with it. Probably a good decision on his part.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #28

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Trilliums and Escapes, living together. I think that's an Escape 19' on the back. Raz
If I am not mistaken, the trailer has an Escape on the front and the back, with a Trillium between them. The trailer in the truck is also a Trillium. Never thought of using one as a camper.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
I still wonder if they are or are not in business, the Outback one so does any actually know for sure if they are still in business. I have no response on my email yet but it has only been a day but, frankly, if I email someone that sells something and don't get a fairly quick answer or at least an acknowledgement,
LOL - expecting a response to an email in one day? you apparently have never emailed Scamp although I have noticed they are improving - last email actually got answered after a week
Old 03-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #30
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
If I am not mistaken, the trailer has an Escape on the front and the back, with a Trillium between them. The trailer in the truck is also a Trillium. Never thought of using one as a camper.
Correct. The one in the bed is wheels off and backwards and requires a fork lift to remove. He said most boat yards have one. On our run (below) we were the first delivery so ours sat where the 19' Escape is. The "backwards" one lost the door and the vent cover due to wind. Lots of duct tape.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #31

I got an answer from "Joe" and he says that business is great. The Outback. He said he would take care of the issue with the 2010 price thing.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
I got an answer from "Joe" and he says that business is great. The Outback. He said he would take care of the issue with the 2010 price thing.
Yea - Figured you would. You just cant expect fast responses from emails from many of the small trailer manufactures due to the fact many of them have little to no office staff and they answer emails between building trailers.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #33

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
So far Alan is really quick answering his e's about the Lil Snoozy.
Now if you write midnight Friday it may be Monday morning before you get an answer.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #34

I hadn't been to the Trillium Trailer "Outback" site in awhile and they have nicely updated it for anyone that might be interested. Loved the photos!
Old 06-16-2013, 11:30 PM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Trillium

My understanding of the Trillium confusion is this:

Outback and Trillium both obtained molds from the original Markham, Ontario, manufacturer.

Tom Young, tried to build Trilliums in California near his home near Sacramento.

California either had or passed more restrictive pollution laws so that Tom intended to move to Carson City, Nevada. A start-up operation just can't afford air scrubbers, etc.

For a reason I don't feel at liberty to divulge, Carson City didn't work out, so Tom tried to go into business with Escape. Escape built some 13' Escapes using the Trillium molds. (Brian Von Snell has one). For some other reason, the cooperation between Escape and Trillium failed and then Tom tried to go with Mattman who had problems of their own, having just come out of a bankruptcy.

This cooperation also failed part of the reason being, I think, that Mattman wanted too much control over the Trillium design.

So now Tom is happily building trailers in Florence, Arizona. We visited the factory this January (2013) and there were several trailers both inside and outside the building.

BTW: Homelet is a Sacramento Trillium, Number 3, I think.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:52 AM   #36
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post

BTW: Homelet is a Sacramento Trillium, Number 3, I think.
Didn't the shell for your trailer come from Team Trillium in Canada? Raz
Old 06-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
My understanding of the Trillium confusion is this:

Outback and Trillium both obtained molds from the original Markham, Ontario, manufacturer.

Tom Young, tried to build Trilliums in California near his home near Sacramento.
Actually Outback & Trillium not only used the same molds but they were one and the same company until Tom split off.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #38

" We visited the factory this January (2013) and there were several trailers both inside and outside the building."

Would you happen to have any photos or know, if like scamp, they have a few already built trailers to buy right there on the lot? From my limited reading, you are the only forum member I know of that has visited here. Any employees working there or is it still a one man operation? Thanks.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #39

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Would you happen to have any photos or know, if like scamp, they have a few already built trailers to buy right there on the lot? From my limited reading, you are the only forum member I know of that has visited here. Any employees working there or is it still a one man operation? Thanks.
Tom Young told me that they have a dealership network. I suspect that there are Trilliums on lots across North America. Give Tom a call. I am sure he can point you to one.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #40

Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
California
One such dealer is in Pleasanton CA (Bay Area).

2014 TRILLIUM 4500 JUST ARRIVED - Inventory | The RV Store at Alameda County Fairgrounds |RV, Motorhome, travel trailer, toy hauler, class A, class B, class C, new RV

I think I recently saw that Trilliums were also at an RV dealer outside of Portland OR.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote