Trillium Manufacturers = Confusing - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #1

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Talking Trillium Manufacturers = Confusing

The list of trailer brands at the head of this website still doesn't have the Outback Trailer mfd by Team Trillium, not to be confused with Trillium Trailers mfd by Trillium RV. BOTH make trailers made with former Trillium of Ontario molds as I understand.

This one should be added:

Compact lightweight fiberglass Outback travel trailers Calgary | Trillium Trailers

Not this one:

trilliumrv.com

Keep this one, also.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:14 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
There is quite a bit of animosity to that brand with some of our members. I understand that there was a pitched legal battle in the history of their brands. The logo was, at one time, being used without a license. That is all water under the bridge now.
The following link tells the story in their own words.
Reece thoen
Reece and his dad, Joe make the Out Back. Very much like a Trillium, but different. They only have a 13' trailer with different windows, options..., different. But then the current offering from Tom Young is not exactly like the classic Trilliums. They had different windows as well. I much prefer the front dinette option on the older trailers. But the front bath on Tom's unit make much more sense to me.

I agree, Out Back should be counted as a brand, currently in production.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:59 AM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Both outfits have Alberta addresses now. I thought the U.S. maker was located in Arizona a few yrs. back according to a friend who has one.

jack

Correction 7/3/13: Only the "Outback" maker is located in Alberta. Please excuse.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
Trillium USA has went from Sacramento, Ca. to Carson City, Nv. to somewhere in Arizona all within the last 7 years.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #5

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Now I am confused. Just yesterday, I was looking at this page and it is the one in AZ: Demo 4500 Model Available | Trillium RV but it isn't an Outback as shown in the website referenced above. Also, the link above, when I was there a few months ago, had a price from 2010 so I was thinking that it was a dead link since I can't think of any prices that have not increased since 2010. So, I am confused. I don't see much discussion on the Trillium either. I like that they have variety in the floorplans of the smaller units.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #6

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
Now I am confused. Just yesterday, I was looking at this page and it is the one in AZ: Demo 4500 Model Available | Trillium RV but it isn't an Outback as shown in the website referenced above. Also, the link above, when I was there a few months ago, had a price from 2010 so I was thinking that it was a dead link since I can't think of any prices that have not increased since 2010. So, I am confused. I don't see much discussion on the Trillium either. I like that they have variety in the floorplans of the smaller units.
That link is for Trillium RV now in Arizona and making trailers with the Trillium name (Which trademark/name is owned by them, see registration info at Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS)

Most of the confusion surrounding this issue is due to the fact that while they don't sell a "Trillium-branded" trailer, the folks that make the Outback call themselves "Team Trillium", and their website is actually named Trillium trailers.com.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #7

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
My curiosity got the best of me and I sent a message to Outback asking if they were still in business and sent them a link to this thread. Both Outback and Trillium are good looking trailers!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #8

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Cool Differences

The Trillium RV trailer follows the original Trillium design in having jalousie type windows on all four sides, although presently, the windows have rounded corners whereas the originals were square.
The Outback has solid windows front and back as far as I can discern from the pictures on the website, and sliding windows on the right and left sides, although somewhat larger than the jalousie types on the Trillium.
I do agree that a lot of the confusion comes from the Outback's manufacturer's "Team Trillium" name and the website being called "Trillium Trailers."

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
The two Outbacks in our Registry are listed as "Trillium Outback," and they have the Trillium logo molded into their door. So, was Outback at one time a model name for the Trillium? Or did the current Outback manufacturer at one time use the Trillium logo?

Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #10

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Those molds are well traveled...haven't you seen my famous "Trilliums of the World" flowmap?

After the company went belly up in 1980, who knows who had the molds? I think that both Joe Thoen (Outback) and Tom Young (Trillium) were associated with the original company somehow. Tom Young acquired legal rights to the name somewhere along the line, but I think that Outback was the first to produce a new trailer from the original molds. The early Outbacks did come out with the original logo still molded into the door.

Francesca
Attached Thumbnails
Trillium flow chart0001.jpg  
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:56 PM   #11

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Tom Young and TrilliumRV won the battle. His Trillium is the new official Trillium. Outback may look the same, but they no longer have "Trillium" any place except the name of the website. This is probably an "international" problem since one brand is in Canada and the other in the USA. Maybe the UN can solve the problem?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #12

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Oregon
More history in this 2007 thread:

Outback vs Trillium ?

Z
Old 03-07-2013, 11:31 PM   #13

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
To screw it up even more for the newbees... Escape Trailer Industries, at one time, molded the bodies for TrilliumRV. So, are (fairly) recent owners of a Trillium, now owners of an Outback build, one of several different USA company builds or an Escape built body Trillium?

I'm glad I have a Scamp

Aaaaand... talk about Burro? There's another manufacturing place mess...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:38 AM   #14

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
But, none of this history explains why Out Back, is not represented very well on this site. By all measures, they are a current manufacturer.
B.T.W. I have recently separated the two words, Out Back, because that is how it is on their website. Probably at trade mark thing.