Trillium Newbie! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2011, 09:47 PM   #1

Name: Laurie
Trailer: 13 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Trillium Newbie!

Hi everyone! Happy to say I am the proud owner of a 1976 Trillium 1300 as of this past Thursday. Since then I have scoured, disinfected, boiled trim, belly band, you name it I've done it and we are ready to go! We were very lucky as a lot of great stuff had already been done, new battery, new tires - even spare, had recently been painted (white with black rock guard on bottom) frame had been reinforced. Pretty basic on the interior, original with the exception of the curtains, but everything works! Even the fridge! Something funky going on with the furnace, definately not original as they built it out a bit. Will take care of that later, it works and I repainted the grill copper. Most importantly, NO SILICONE! Not a drop! Absolutely everything in tact, lensolite (spelled right?), trim, doors. There are even some really old storage drawers under the couch - are these original? Had one of the worst storms ever taking it home, and there was a "dribble" on the front end. Pretty sure I've fixed it. The one thing is the little spring loaded vent in the ceiling, doesn't work, won't open. Any ideas? Step by step anywhere on how to fix? I will try to post some pics later. Just wanted to say Hi and thank you. I had been looking for a while and your forum gave me information on what to look for, the whole boiling the trim - worked like a charm. I'm looking forward to learning more and how to do things to my little darling. Now all I need is a name apparently........hmmmmmmmm
lhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:59 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hey Laurie, welcome to FiberglassRV. We're glad you found us! Now, what am I going to say next? If you've been reading here for a while, you'll know.... pictures, we wanna see some pictures!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:14 AM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanna View Post
Hi everyone! Happy to say I am the proud owner of a 1976 Trillium 1300 as of this past Thursday. Since then I have scoured, disinfected, boiled trim, belly band, you name it I've done it and we are ready to go! We were very lucky as a lot of great stuff had already been done, new battery, new tires - even spare, had recently been painted (white with black rock guard on bottom) frame had been reinforced. Pretty basic on the interior, original with the exception of the curtains, but everything works! Even the fridge! Something funky going on with the furnace, definately not original as they built it out a bit. Will take care of that later, it works and I repainted the grill copper. Most importantly, NO SILICONE! Not a drop! Absolutely everything in tact, lensolite (spelled right?), trim, doors. There are even some really old storage drawers under the couch - are these original? Had one of the worst storms ever taking it home, and there was a "dribble" on the front end. Pretty sure I've fixed it. The one thing is the little spring loaded vent in the ceiling, doesn't work, won't open. Any ideas? Step by step anywhere on how to fix? I will try to post some pics later. Just wanted to say Hi and thank you. I had been looking for a while and your forum gave me information on what to look for, the whole boiling the trim - worked like a charm. I'm looking forward to learning more and how to do things to my little darling. Now all I need is a name apparently........hmmmmmmmm
Welcome and Congrats,I loved my 1300.

If the drawers are plastic with the front matching the other doors then I would say they are original.My 1300 did not have these but my 4500 did.

My cure for the same issue with the vent cover was a Sawzall and a Fantastic Fan!
The hole has to be larger to go from the 9" vent to the standard 14" size in the modern trailers but it is a mod well worth doing.

Of course we can not suggest names without seeing the victim,I mean subject!

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:05 AM   #4

Alberta
Registry
Ver intimidating

I was thinking of putting in a fantastic fan or maybe an air conditioner but doing it myself (just the fan) is so intimidating. Some of you are hard core. I'm terrified that something will go terribly wrong and I'll wreck my "lil darlin'" at the very least create a leak where there wasn't one. I got the trailer for a steal (I think) at $2500. Like I said, I looked for a while at "great condition" "immaculate condition" only to find total gut jobs, missing trim, insulation, you name it and they were all asking $3500 - 5000! At the very least, I would like a new fridge, and get the windows resealed and then redo the cushion covers. I want to make sure she's watertight for years to come. Speaking of, last night we had a doozy of a storm, I went out there with my flashlight to check where this little bit of water was coming from. It looks like it was from one of the new LED lights in the rear. Is it ok to put a small bead of RV sealant around the lights? My only concern is if a bulb needs replacing it would be difficult to take the cover off. I see all the work in progress pics from you guys, taking windows off, sanding, and all I can say is WOW. I would love to do the back window myself but like I said intimidating. With my luck, the weather would be great when I started and then pour as soon as I took the window out. Nothing says leak like a big whole in your trailer where there was a window! Of course, she's just a little too tall to fit in my garage, grrrrrrrr, or I might entertain the idea.

Yes the drawers match. I also saw a 1300 for sale on here last night after I posted (also more than what I paid teehee) which had the same drawers. I don't think it was as nice on the inside though. All the moldings were shriveled up and laminate on doors coming off. It was nice on the outside though, had a window in the door, awning and add a room. Items to put on my wish list.

Thanks for the welcome and I'll get those pics!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Welcome and Congrats,I loved my 1300.

If the drawers are plastic with the front matching the other doors then I would say they are original.My 1300 did not have these but my 4500 did.

My cure for the same issue with the vent cover was a Sawzall and a Fantastic Fan!
The hole has to be larger to go from the 9" vent to the standard 14" size in the modern trailers but it is a mod well worth doing.

Of course we can not suggest names without seeing the victim,I mean subject!

Ed
Old 08-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #5

Alberta
Registry
Pictures

Here you go - my new little baby. These pics show sink/stove top without cover (obviously), with half, and with all. A little primitive but will improve on the design at a later date. Like I said, this cost me nothing as I had all this stuff lying around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hey Laurie, welcome to FiberglassRV. We're glad you found us! Now, what am I going to say next? If you've been reading here for a while, you'll know.... pictures, we wanna see some pictures!

Attached Thumbnails
001.jpg   008.jpg  

007.jpg   009.jpg  

Old 08-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #6

Alberta
Registry
More Pictures - 1978 Trillium 1300

Some more of the interior. Like I said, mostly original. New cork floor and drapes. Not my personal choice, but they were made well and lined so I went with it - Orange. I definately see new recovered cushions in my future.....ya think? Especially the missing back bunk. Still need to scrub the lensolite some more, luvin' my seams! grrrr can't get the pictures to load
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

Old 08-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #7

lookin' good Laurie Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-02-2011, 06:13 PM   #8

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hi, Laurie

Welcome to the Trillium Club- looks and sounds like you got a great deal
About your ceiling vent: mine had been "sealed shut" with some kind of goop before I bought it- a heat gun took it off, and it works fine now.
And I'm not sure what you mean by "spring loaded"?
Mine has a little crank handle on it.
A picture might be helpful...

Your little leak around the light is a perfect opportunity for your introduction to
"Butyl Tape: The Trailer Owner's Friend"!

Here's a link to read all about it: RV Tech Tips » butyl tape

Hope this helps!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:47 PM   #9

Alberta
Registry
Trillium 1300 vent

Hi Francesca! My vent has a little chain, when you release it the vent pops open. When you pull it down and secure it, it stays closed. No popping up though. I think I will get it replaced with just a crank vent. I don't want to bother with pulling out all my lovely t-molding (that I just removed piece by piece, boiled, stretched and put back) just to hide electrical. I'm familiar with butyl tape, but again, as handy as I am, the thought of taking off my new lights to put it between the light and the trailer scares the heck out of me. Would it be ok to run a bead of RV Sealant around the outside as a quick fix until I can afford to have someone else do it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hi, Laurie

Welcome to the Trillium Club- looks and sounds like you got a great deal
About your ceiling vent: mine had been "sealed shut" with some kind of goop before I bought it- a heat gun took it off, and it works fine now.
And I'm not sure what you mean by "spring loaded"?
Mine has a little crank handle on it.
A picture might be helpful...

Your little leak around the light is a perfect opportunity for your introduction to
"Butyl Tape: The Trailer Owner's Friend"!

Here's a link to read all about it: RV Tech Tips » butyl tape

Hope this helps!

Francesca
Old 08-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #10

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
No harm in giving the ol' silicone a try!
It's hard to get a good seal that way, but it might work.
Here's a thought:
Are the new lights are put on with screws?- if you take them out, put silicone in the hole, and thread the screws back in you might plug the leak.
It occurs to me as I write this though that the "old" light screwholes might be the culprit if the new lights don't use the same holes.
The old holes could be under the lights, unsealed.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:41 AM   #11

I'm going to disagree with Francesca. Do NOT use silicone. There are much better caulks even for temporary work. Silicone is a PITA to remove completely from fiberglass.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:54 PM   #12
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
When we were trying to isolate a leak we used duct tape. It was on there for about a month and came off without any residual glue left behind. That said, I suggest you unscrew the screws behnd the lights and seal them with butyl tape. This is how we learn. Fortune favors the bold. Raz

P.s welcome to the forum and congratulations on your trillium find
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:06 PM   #13

Raz, you're fortunate. I've used Duct Tape ONCE on my trailer for only somewhere around three days. The glue turned to concrete and I really had to work to get it off. It was HOT out and I'm sure that cause a lot of the problem.

Whew.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:16 AM   #14
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hi Donna. Hehr recommends duct tape for troubleshooting leaks. I expected the same results you had especially after a trip to North Carolina. The only explanation I have is it was cheap duct tape. The stuff came right off, both windows and bellyband. However, as you like to say YMMV. Raz
Attached Images

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #15

Alberta
Registry
Finally, here are the inside pics! Funny, it looks dry!
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	38965Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	38966

Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	38967
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanna View Post
Some more of the interior. Like I said, mostly original. New cork floor and drapes. Not my personal choice, but they were made well and lined so I went with it - Orange. I definately see new recovered cushions in my future.....ya think? Especially the missing back bunk. Still need to scrub the lensolite some more, luvin' my seams! grrrr can't get the pictures to load
Old 08-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm curious, you have 2 sink faucets, one I assume is a pump,do you have a small tank for that somewhere and is the other for when hooked to city water?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #17

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Welcome, welcome....

I love the shelves they put up high on the Trill's....makes for good storage....yours looks so clean and pretty (even so oranage is not high on my list of favorite colors.)

Good luck fixing the leak and...

Happy Camping!!!

Mrs. 2yax

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #18

Alberta
Registry
Oh my goodness! Your guess is as good as mine! I have no idea. I haven't gotten into the mechanics of the water yet. I know how to turn on the stove and the furnace - that's it. Honestly I don't know if I will ever use the water as I am used to dry camping. Electricity allows me to boil up hot water for whatever (a luxury as far as I'm concerned) and I always have the totes we fill up on site. I know one must be a pump as I have read it on here but again, I'm afraid I'm not much help to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm curious, you have 2 sink faucets, one I assume is a pump,do you have a small tank for that somewhere and is the other for when hooked to city water?
Old 08-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #19

Alberta
Registry
Thanks Mrs. 2 yax! Like I said, orange isn't my thing either but the drapes were done quite well so I went with it. The closet was fitted with a hanged storage thingy with big and small cloth slide out drawers. I took them out and just used the spaces for shelves for towels, boxes of cereal, garbage bags. Donna put wire shelves on the inside of her closet door - great space saving! I plan on doing that. The hangy thing was quite long and i took all the little drawers out and put them on top of that shelf. One for tools, flashlight, level, etc, others for games, cards, camera, etc. Worked out well for all those little things there is no where to put. The dollar store also has little cloth/wire baskets that fit perfectly up there but I didn't wan't to buy anything I didn't need right now. When I get the covers done I'm going with browns and will readdress the curtains at that time - thinking of a teal/aqua blue - sound a bit better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2yax2go View Post
Welcome, welcome....

I love the shelves they put up high on the Trill's....makes for good storage....yours looks so clean and pretty (even so oranage is not high on my list of favorite colors.)

Good luck fixing the leak and...

Happy Camping!!!

Mrs. 2yax

Tags
trillium