trillium or a boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-01-2009, 01:32 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium
I had a guy come over yesterday and wanted to trade me his 1974 boler for my 1974 trillium. I like both but I am not sure which one is the better unit. Gene
Gene B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Completely subjective, which one do YOU like better? You're talking about trailers that are 35 years old. Which has the newest appliances, and I'm not talking upgraded in 1979 new. A new(er) axle on either one? How about tires and bearings? Are there features in one trailer you prefer over the other?

Frankly, I wouldn't be looking to trade my 1988 Scamp Deluxe for any other 1988 trailer unless there was something extra special to consider. I know the history and maintenance of my trailer... besides I luv it and that's priceless. Your mileage may vary.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 1981 Boler 13 ft / 2005 Dodge Caravan
Registry
Quote:
I had a guy come over yesterday and wanted to trade me his 1974 boler for my 1974 trillium. I like both but I am not sure which one is the better unit. Gene

We have had both.In fact we had two Trilliums a 1973 and a 1978.Now we have a 1981 Boler.They are similar but different and we love them both.Can't go wrong with either but you probably have the one you own now fixed up to suit yourself.You would have to start all over again to get another the way you want it. That would be my only consideration.
Pat C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
I am going to get flamed on this one but I say stick with the Trillium. From what I have seen the fit/finished on the Trilliums was better on the same year boler's and I find the durability of the fiberglass cabinets to be excellent. As well, I find the interior height and large windows make it a much more comfortable space to be in when it's a rainy day. However, I do like the classic shape of the Boler better, the Trillium's do look a little boxy.

Ok, off to duck and cover from the Boler owners =)
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #5

Trailer: 75 Trillium 13 ft
When we were searching for our trailer, we liked the fact that the Trillium has a bit more head room, and molded floor. We didn't want to have to deal with replacing a rotted Boler floor.
Liz&Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I like the Trilliums a bit better that the Boler/clones, for a number of reasons, but on the other hand all of the Boler 13's I've seen (including the one I own) do have a molded fiberglass floor. That's not to say they all have one, but many certainly do.

That said, both the Boler and the Trillium (and the Burro and the U-haul, etc.) "fiberglass" floor are going to have wooden cores, for strength. If water ever gets to those cores, you have a problem. I did see photos of a Trillium (that someone on the forum was considering buying) that had had part of a floor replaced due to a water problem.

I do believe that the Scamp does not have a molded fiberglass floor though - I think it's wood with resin (maybe with glass strands?) applied as a sealer.

Things I like about the Trillium are the many jalousie windows, the extra storage room and easier fitting of shelves and such due to the more square shape, the smooth molded bottom that makes it easy to see what's going on under there, and the fact that the "furniture" is bonded in with glass (as I understand it; never taken one apart).

Things I like about the Boler are it's slippery towing shape and lower profile (due to dropped floor), the "cuteness" of the outside (especially the taillights), the slightly magical feeling of being inside a rounded shape, the fun colors some were molded in in the mid-70s, and the belly band construction (or rather, I don't like the mild steel plates used in the belly-band construction of the Trill), and the molded floor on the inside of the compartments (the Trill puts the molded floor on the outside, so the inside of the compartments is the "backside" and vice versa on the Boler).

All things being equal, I would probably take a Trillium. But they are both neat trailers and both have their good points and their flaws. I would only trade if I liked the "new" trailer better (regardless of perceived value or etc.)

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
2 points come to mind Gene.

Does the boler have the molded FG floor pan?
I feel the trilliums were better designed and built except for the weak spot in the frame.

I love my little boler American, but I've got permission to start looking for a Trill 4500 only once I've finished restoring it. That is unless I come into some $$, then I'll be talking to Reace. Or an exceptional deal comes along.
Never say never.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:27 AM   #8

Trailer: 73 Boler (modified)
as mentioned, it's all personal preference. For what it's worth my 73 boler has a molded floor. I like the more classic rounded shape of the boler, but I like that the trillium's fore and aft windows open. Building on what Donna D. said, maybe you should have both trailers inspected, perhaps there's an axle issue with one or a frame / fiberglass or floor issue with another.
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:25 AM   #9

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
One additional point is that for people who might like to "remodel" a bit - that is, change things around in a layout way - the Boler/clone lends itself much more to that, with its riveted in furniture.

Not everyone wants to do that, of course, and I think that tabbed in furniture is actually better, but it's less easy to modify.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, trillium