Trillium Quality and Resale - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #1

Name: Eleanor
Trailer: Bigfoot TT
California
Trillium Quality and Resale

First, thanks to those of you who answered my recent questions about Scamp.

We're now very intrigued by information online about late model Trilliums. We've not yet seen one in the flesh but their descriptions sounds like they are very high quality and well built when compared to Casita and Scamp. And pricey!!

It looks like they have fairly recently moved their assembly operations from Canada to Arizona and are expanding their dealer network in the US.

All the ones for sale online seem to be in Canada and built in the 70's and 80's with nothing built within the last 20 years showing up online. However, there are a couple of US dealers with 2013 models available.

Questions:
Is my impression correct that their quality is much better than Scamp and Casita thus justifying their significant price premium?

Does anyone have information about the build quality and reliability of Trilliums built in the last 4-5 years? The older ones seem to be able to go on forever at least in Canada. Are the newest one of the same quality as the old ones?

Should the recently built models hold their value much like the ones from the 70's and 80's?

Does anyone know why there are no used units between the mid-80's and now that are for sale? Was Trillium out of business during that period or ???

Any info will be appreciated. Thanks
eryork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Eleanor, you need to be made aware, there are TWO manufacturers that you are confusing. The Canadian group: Trillium Trailer and TrilliumRV (Arizona). Tom Young of TrilliumRV is a former employee of the original Trillium company. However, the Canadian group didn't move to Arizona. They're distinctly different companies.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
We have some Trillium gurus here who can give you a better history than I but where is what I know/recall. Trilliums did miss a few years of product during the 1990's Ramblin Industries in Alberta started to manufacture them again in the late 1990's but that company folded. In 2002 they started to be produced once again under the name Trillium Outback and are manufactured in Alberta. Go to www.trilliamtrailers.com for more info,

In the mid 2000's the two partners of the above had a bit of a falling out and a bit of a battle seems to have taken place over the use of the use of the Trillium name thus the ones made in Canada are simple called an Outback currently. Trillium RV in Nevada for one year 2008/9 had Escape Trailers in BC Canada building trailers for them. Since then I cant tell you where in the US the current offerings are being built.

Used Trilliums built from 2002 to current have come up here for sale from time to time. There are currently a number of them for sale in Canada: 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013 all listings can be found at fiberglass-rv-4sale.com Same site shows a few 2013's for sale in California as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
With any new fiberglass trailer you will find an initial depreciation. In the long run inflation will keep your initial value. Many now sell for greater than their new price 30+ years ago.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #5

California
Thank you very much. I do get confused and these changes in ownership etc certainly do it. Do you know if there is any quality difference between the "2 Trilliums"?
Old 05-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #6

California
Thank you very much for the information regarding Trillium Outback and Trillium RV.
It is confusing. Do you know if the quality is pretty much the same?
The new Trillium seems to have a factory in Arizona near Phoenix. I have also seen references to manufacturing in California in the past.
I will check again for used ones.
We are looking forward to getting on the road again.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:49 AM   #7

Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
California
Eleanor,

I don't know where in California you live, but in Pleasanton you can go look at new Trilliums at a dealer:
IT'S HERE THE NEW TRILLIUM 1300 SOFA/BUNK MODEL - Inventory | The RV Store at Alameda County Fairgrounds |RV, Motorhome, travel trailer, toy hauler, class A, class B, class C, new RV

I went out there a while back. My impression: I think the business model of selling directly from the factory, not dealerships, is appealing. There were some relatively minor "fit and finish" issues that I would imagine the builder would have taken care of on the spot, but the dealer...maybe not.

But a look is better than a thousand posts. If you are in the Bay Area, it is worth a visit, just to see the sizes and features.

I can't comment on the quality of the "Outback Trillium", but (supposedly) that guy sells direct off his factory floor, personally inspecting each one. If so, my guess is he'd fix anything before he lets you find fault with it.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:47 AM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hi Eleanor and welcome to the forum. I can not speak to the current Arizona operation. Mine was made in Brea , California. At that time TrilliumRV was one person who had the trailers made for him. I had considerable issues with my trailer (read my posts) and despite numerous promises of help, I was on my own. As to the Trillium design, it's a nice trailer. The windows were the attraction for us. This current prices seem very high, however we bought direct which may account for the difference. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
The original Trillium company ceased to be in 1982.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #10

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
For Pacific Northwesterners interested in possibly seeing the present Trillium: looks like an outfit near Portland is stocking Trilliums...and Bigfoots, too!

Here's a link to Trillium inventory/prices at "Camper Outlet" in Tualatin, Oregon.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:20 AM   #11

Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
California
Wow! Looks like prices are better up in Oregon, both for the Bigfoot and Trillium.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by eryork View Post
The new Trillium seems to have a factory in Arizona near Phoenix. I have also seen references to manufacturing in California in the past.
Well some of the confusion may be due to what was mentioned previously that the US based Trillium RV did for a time use other manufactures to build their trailers or they did with at least one which was located in Canada (Escape Trailers).

Does anyone here know when they started to actually build the trailers themselves at their own factory in Florence Arizona? What other company factories did they use to build their trailers at if any?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #13
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Well some of the confusion may be due to what was mentioned previously that the US based Trillium RV did for a time use other manufactures to build their trailers or they did with at least one which was located in Canada (Escape Trailers).

Does anyone here know when they started to actually build the trailers themselves at their own factory in Florence Arizona? What other company factories did they use to build their trailers at if any?
2010 Brea, Ca. Made by Mattman Specialty Vehicles

2011-12 Temecula, Ca. Mattman

I believe the 2009's were made by Escape and the earlier ones the shells were made by Trillium outback. I think Roger CH has one of those. If they made 50 trailers total I'd be surprised. Also, I don't know if the Arizona trailers aren't also contracted out??? The factory picture on the web site is one of the California sites, Brea I think.Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #14

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
If anyone wants to talk to a Trillium owner familiar with the present factory in Arizona, here are a couple of quotes from members likely able to give hard information:

(If you click on the arrow in the quote, it will take you to the page it was taken from)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
I don't know where in AZ you live, but lucky for you, Trillium has moved their factory to Florence, just south of Phoenix/Mesa. I would recommend a visit and tell Tom that Roger and Mary sent you. (ask for the referral discount if you do buy one.)

I love moving our Homelet by hand to hitch it up in an RV park much to the amazement of those huge trailer owners!!
And

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
I visited the Trillium Factory in Arizona last week, and saw where the owner is now having a custom water tank made to fit in a sub-floor pocket (he had his molds changed to accomplish this) to keep the trailer better balanced and to add storage space.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium