Trillium Re-Sale......really - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #21

Trailer: Tote N Tarry
We all have a story like that. I sold a cherry 1987 Fiero GT to a father and son, thinking that they'd keep it as cherry as I had. Used to clean the rims with a toothbrush! A year later I found some unused Fiero parts in the garage, met them to give them the parts, and saw that the son had turned my car in to a real beater. I swore then, that if I ever sold another car or motorcycle, I'd NEVER want to see it again and beat myself silly for selling in the first place. Sell, but never look back!
Filbert V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:47 PM   #22

Name: rick
Trailer: 1999 casita spirit deluxe 17 foot
Ontario
If you got what you wanted for it . Just saying
greendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:53 PM   #23

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I choose not to stress out over this type of thing. I try to come up with an asking price that feels fair to me and not unreasonable for the buyer. I also decide on my rock bottom lower limit before advertising something.

We bought a Ventura for a very good price and used it for a few years. It didn't cost us much in maintenance or repairs. When selling we realised that it really did need some cosmetic work that we didn't want to do. We showed the purchaser the things we knew needed attention. We priced it to sell easily to give someone else an opportunity to enjoy a wee trailer.

We had a fairly good idea of prices and got a Trillium at a price that seemed fair to the seller and us. If it had been over-priced we wouldn't have hesitated to tell him so - and why!

I know some folks are always looking for a chance to make a dollar or ten, even if they know they are ripping someone off. Think of selling a single mom a car that looks pretty good but the owners know the transmission is getting bad - and the brakes need fixing - and the tires need replacing. They outright lie about these failings. Or going out for a meal and having one of them complain about the food (which is fine) purely to get a chit for a reduction on their next meal in that place.

I just don't want to be a person who behaves like that.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:21 PM   #24

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Trillium
Oregon
I'm fine with the whole "Flipping" thing.

The price matters not to me. I did get what I wanted for it, and am content. Figure it was a reasonable price for the amount of work that would be required to bring it up to what I think is an acceptable level. My time is worth more than what I could put into the trailer at the current moment.

I say go for it and get what you can.

I did get the whole "sob" story from them, but did not give them a deal as I had other offers for the asking price. I have heard the same stories many a times about different things.

I guess my main issue would be the fact that I am quite certain they will not disclose to a prospective buyer the things that I had mentioned to them, that should be done to the trailer. Base this assumption on the copy and paste of their ad description.

Anyway, with that all out of the way, I'm off tomorrow to pick up my next new to me Trillium.

Cheers,
Dennis_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:27 AM   #25

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Good attitude Dennis. And good on ya for being fair and honest. Hope you have a great trip.
Phil
Old 05-02-2014, 10:20 AM   #26

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
We only get to control the morality of our own actions, not those of others. Not much point in wasting time on what the other person "should do" unless in the position to deal with them directly and possibly point out why a different approach might be better.

Sold a car, in pretty good shape for the major functionality, brakes, engine, suspension, tires. BUT the car had over 250k miles on it and I was starting to replace parts that seldom need repair. Also some things like power window were starting to fail. I sold it to someone my daughter knew needed a car, for $500 letting them know everything I knew did not work. I also let them know at this age/mileage something major could fail at any time. I felt the price reflected that risk and it's condition. They agreed.

That was 2 years ago and they still drive and love the car. Did some minor hose and line replacements but it's been good for them. I personally would rather have that outcome than the extra 3 to 5 hundred I might have been able to get for the car by being unscrupulous or a hard bargainer.

Sounds like the OP did the right thing and priced the camper after an honest and knowledgeable appraisal of it's condition. Easier to live with doing it that way in my opinion.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:48 AM   #27

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I gave my daughter my Ford Explorer when I got the RAV4.
Two weeks later, the head gasket blew.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #28

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I bought my 1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe from the original owners daughter. She said it was $6000 when new. According to the calculator, $21,744.75 in today's dollar. Fairly steep. But, if purchased in 1979, which is not unlikely, then it would be $19,528.35 in today's dollar. More then $2000 difference! Must have been a high inflation year.
Thats interesting. While not the 4500 Deluxe the new Trillium Trailers - Outback goes for the base price today of $14,900 but once you add on the optional stuff such as spare tire, Fantastic Fan, gravel guard, awning, furnace, electric brakes, LED Lights etc I bet the price gets pretty close to todays dollar value on the above.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:11 AM   #29

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I gave my daughter my Ford Explorer when I got the RAV4.
Two weeks later, the head gasket blew.
Bummer! Lots of work or lots of $$$. I was very shall we say relieved when my grown daughter told me her boyfriend was a mechanic. Car needs brakes? Does Josh want to borrow my big propane heater? Bet it's cold out in his pole barn in Feb. Let me get the propane tank filled and I'll drop it off.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:17 PM   #30

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Friends are friends, family is family, and business is business. Do NOT mix them up.

If you are expecting "business" because you are selling an asset... do NOT mix up the reasons. You will regret it, I promise you...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium