Trillium Re-Sale......really - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2014, 10:45 PM   #1

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Trillium
Oregon
Trillium Re-Sale......really

So, I sold my 1976 trillium on Monday, for a pretty fair price.
Just didn't have the time required to do the little things that needed fixing up.

Tonight I noticed that the same trailer is up for sale, even copied parts of my original ad, and looks like some other information from someone else's ad.
There was no marine battery when I sold it, and I really doubt they added one to it.

Looks like someone trying to make a quick bit of cash, by increasing the price of what they paid by quite a substantial amount (33%).

My original add is in the sold area.

Here is the new sellers add. Quite disgusted with this.

fiberglass trailer | travel trailers, campers | Edmonton | Kijiji

1976 Trillium Fiberglass Trailer | Edmonton, AB, Canada | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Dennis_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Flippers. It happens. Sorry you were caught up in it. It's a lot like playing Keno. If you don't play, DON'T look at the numbers. There's an active thread going on right now, that's similar to this situation.

Close your eyes. If you got the price you wanted, DON'T CHECK OUT THE NEW OWNERS. Walk away, plan your life, be happy.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:58 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
It hasn't been sold yet, has it?
Maybe the buyer will take a bath on it.
It's called free enterprise.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:16 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
It hurts to see it but it does indeed happen!
Perhaps he will not do as well as he hoped!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:27 AM   #5

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Karma is you know what..
I gave the side steps (and front bumper) off my Jeep to a guy who was in my unit, so his wife could get into his Jeep. She was vertically challenged He promptly put them on eBay and sold them. Instead of putting on his Jeep. I was at the time..
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:26 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Dennis you have to look at it from the standpoint of giving someone something. It's theirs now and they can do what they want to with it. It may hurt your feelings but we all make deals now and then that we wish we could recind and I know I'm in the double digits on that but at the time it was done I was comfortable with the deal. Just mark it up to lifes lessons learned. I remember a near mint 1967 Baracuda I had................
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #7

Name: Nate
Trailer: 1981 Casita 13. TV: 2011 Honda CR-V
Wisconsin
Registry
Yep, free market enterprise.

If he sells it for that price, what does that take? Not just him THINKING it will get that price, but a BUYER must be WILLING to pay that price. There's 2 sides to the flipper equation.
Nate R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:44 AM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
It might be a flipper, might not. It could be buyers remorse in finding more work was involved than originally thought.
The asking price and selling price may differ. There is a lot of room for one to bargain down; batteries are not that expensive. If the trailer has been legally transfered, costs have have been incurred. Could be a Win-Win situration, alternatively a caveat emptor.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:13 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_S View Post
So, I sold my 1976 trillium on Monday, for a pretty fair price.
Just didn't have the time required to do the little things that needed fixing up.

Tonight I noticed that the same trailer is up for sale, even copied parts of my original ad, and looks like some other information from someone else's ad.
There was no marine battery when I sold it, and I really doubt they added one to it.

Looks like someone trying to make a quick bit of cash, by increasing the price of what they paid by quite a substantial amount (33%).

My original add is in the sold area.

Here is the new sellers add. Quite disgusted with this.

fiberglass trailer | travel trailers, campers | Edmonton | Kijiji

1976 Trillium Fiberglass Trailer | Edmonton, AB, Canada | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Looks to me like the only error here is that it was sold for to low a price in the first place. I am guessing you sold it for about $3200, super low in the Trill mkt., and the buyer saw the chance to make a few $$$. Maybe they needed the money to buy that new 25' BigFoot they always wanted.

The "Flippers" I don't care for are the ones that try to drive down the sellers price with a sob story, and then flip it.

I have a tent trailer on C/L right now and have already heard from the "Single Mom who wants to take her kids on a vacation" and can only afford 1/2 what I am asking.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:36 AM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
One way to look at is they "invested" say $3200 and are trying to make that investment pay a 33% return BUT they also risk the peak of buying season passing forcing them to drop the price or store it until next year. Their purchase price is money they don't have, and may or may not get. While you have instant and certain use of the money they paid you. I say go out and enjoy the money.

They may have done a few things such as add a battery that allow it to demonstrate 12 volt works and it's all ready to go, giving it more appeal to buyers and helping them sell it for more. Maybe they bought with the intention of flipping or maybe not, either way it's all their problem now. Only your problem if you choose to worry about it.

Bob, did you point out that stores sell tents that are perfectly suitable for single mom taking kids on vacation? Save a lot of money that way! I tent camped for a lot of years before getting an RV to camp in. I thought it was great when I had a small utility trailer that made packing up gear for 2 adults and 3 kids easier.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Bob, did you point out that stores sell tents that are perfectly suitable for single mom taking kids on vacation? Save a lot of money that way! I tent camped for a lot of years before getting an RV to camp in. I thought it was great when I had a small utility trailer that made packing up gear for 2 adults and 3 kids easier.
Actually, I think that "Most" of those sob stories are scammers looking to drive prices down. When one came to look at a Scamp I was selling they showed up in what was supposed to be her "Boyfriends" Tundra and she knew waaaay to much about trailers to be a newbie.

My current ad has been up overnight and I have already gotten two similar stories, it's becoming endemic in C/L buyers on the first day of an ad.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:12 AM   #12

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
My current ad has been up overnight and I have already gotten two similar stories, it's becoming endemic in C/L buyers on the first day of an ad.
I do think there are people that are on C/L looking to scoop up deals and flip them for a higher price. Fair enough. Feeding folks a line of bull fertilizer is bad because there really are people that could use a break and these illegitimate stories create cynicism and resentment.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:18 AM   #13

Name: Tim
Trailer: Aliner folding & Weekend Warrior toy hauler
Ohio
Were you satisfied with the price you got for it?

If so you should still be happy. The buyer/seller isn't harming you in any way.
1998 Ford E150 pulling a 2006 Weekend Warrior toy hauler = 8 MPG
beemerphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #14

Quote:
I have a tent trailer on C/L right now and have already heard from the "Single Mom who wants to take her kids on a vacation" and can only afford 1/2 what I am asking.
You can suggest they are looking under the wrong listing area. Try camping equiment for a tent etc. and look for a utility trailer to pack it all into.

I won't apologize for being cold hearted. I bought a trashed trailer, balancing my needs, wants and budget at the time. Taking Donna D.'s advice of considering it to be a hard tent on wheels. Since then, it has undergone a resurrection with lots of TLC and $$ over the years. If I am going to be "charitable" it will be to someone I personally know that needs some help or go with a registered charity.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #15

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Don't feel bad.
My dad bought a 1959 Crestliner Cabin Crusier brand new in 1959 for $900.00.
Sold the boat in spring of 1999 for $900.00 (Used it for 40 years)
The guy that bought the boat in the spring of 1999 for $900.00 sold it in the spring of 2000 for $2000.00.
He made $1100.00 profit and got to use the boat for 1 season.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:47 PM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I do think there are people that are on C/L looking to scoop up deals and flip them for a higher price. Fair enough. Feeding folks a line of bull fertilizer is bad because there really are people that could use a break and these illegitimate stories create cynicism and resentment.
LOL its not just C/L this happens on and it sure isn't restricted to trailers. Selling big or small items or big tickets items such as a car or a home its all the same. People want a deal. Period.

A few years ago I was selling my home and the agent called to say that there was a good solid offer on the home and they buyers agent wants to make the presentation. The buyers agent started out by telling me a story of how his client was a really nice guy and that he had grown up in the neighbourhood and wanted to move back now that he was divorced and only had his children every 2 weeks for a few days, and the offer was for all he had & the max that the bank would give him as he was already a bit stretched due to having as part of his divorce settlement given his wife their family home & having to make support payments etc - so there would be no counter offer deals etc - Gezz sad story but do you really think I should seriously consider selling him my home for $400,000 less than what it was worth! Not sure who had the more shocked look me or my selling agent as he had been told over the phone prior to agreeing to the presentation that the offer was actually way more than what was presented.

The sad stories must work with some sellers otherwise I don't know why anyone would bother wasting peoples time with such silly stuff!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Don't feel bad.
My dad bought a 1959 Crestliner Cabin Crusier brand new in 1959 for $900.00.
Sold the boat in spring of 1999 for $900.00 (Used it for 40 years)
The guy that bought the boat in the spring of 1999 for $900.00 sold it in the spring of 2000 for $2000.00.
He made $1100.00 profit and got to use the boat for 1 season.
Ya But..... According to the inflation index, a $900 purchase in 1959 would cost $5152 in 1999.
CPI Inflation Calculator

But still ya got 40 yeasr use anyway.....

Old 05-01-2014, 04:10 PM   #18

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
I relocated and ended up selling my house at a major loss, sad story's don't hold as much with me anymore.... On some things. I've seen a lot of bad things in my life so far. I've got a good deal on the hardtop for my Jeep from C/L it came with a story, guy bought for GF she dumped him friend was selling for him.

That's why I go with the Karma attitude.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Ya But..... According to the inflation index, a $900 purchase in 1959 would cost $5152 in 1999.
CPI Inflation Calculator
Just wondering if anybody has put in the actual prices for some of the early 70's trailer to get today's values. And how would they compare to current pricing?
Old 05-01-2014, 05:23 PM   #20

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I bought my 1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe from the original owners daughter. She said it was $6000 when new. According to the calculator, $21,744.75 in today's dollar. Fairly steep. But, if purchased in 1979, which is not unlikely, then it would be $19,528.35 in today's dollar. More then $2000 difference! Must have been a high inflation year.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium