Trillium Website Update - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2011, 01:20 PM   #21

Trailer: 2010 Trillium 13 ft (California-made)
Registry
It's a conundrum when people who are looking to buy a new American Trillium ask us if we'd buy it again.

We (that is: Raz, the Molly-dawg, and I) love the layout of the 13-footer. We love the jalousie windows on all four sides ... and THAT was what brought us to buying our Trillium. We talked extensively with both Scamp and Escape, but neither could give us the windows we absolutely-without-a-doubt-can't-talk-us-out-of-it wanted.

We knew going into the deal that customer service from the other side of the continent would be a non-event. We simply never expected to have the issues this particular camper has.

Nonetheless, we do enjoy it! As I said, it's a conundrum when we're asked.

Now if only we could hibernate through these non-stop snowstorms and wake up to Spring and camping and canoeing ........

Maggie
Old 02-01-2011, 04:16 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
The site has been completely revamped.

Trillium RV Home

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:36 PM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The PDF brochure at the bottom says,
Trillium RV Limited
1894 Hwy 50 East #4-178
Carson City, NV 89701

and under "about us" it says Tom young is president. So, the Casita forum rumor is not true then. Tom did not sell the company. am i reading this all right?
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:33 PM   #24

Name: John
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Minnesota
My name is John Hall. I live in MN. I am in the process of purchasing a Trillium rv from Tom Young and his sales team (with out seeing it). I have checked out the competitors including Scamp (my neighbor) the Out Back, among others. My question is, why the conundrum and what issues (if any) did people have with their purchase? I would really appreciate any info. I am a sceptic and frugal by nature. Thanks John.
John Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #25

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: John Hall... I spoke at great length with a new 2009 Trill. owner at Bolerama here in Ontario. He had many build quality issues mostly interior fit and finish. His unit was one of the few shells molded by Escape with the interior finished by Tom, before Escape called off their partnering.
I would hope the new shell maker does a good job and might have some influence on the overall quality of the trailers. IMHO!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #26

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I see the "Parts" tab is gone. Or, maybe it's so hidden I can't find it. Hummmmm.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #27

Registry
I did tell Tom that he should have his name in the website not just "a former vice-president of Trillium of Ontario." I also pointed out some gremlin errors and he seems to have had them all fixed.

Re the Escape/Trillium saga, I wish I could access Reace's side of the story which was referred to earlier in this post. Any info Ken C?

Old 02-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #28

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You can download and sit through the old interview on Jeff's site. I don't think they had the room in their small building. I can't remember exactly. Since that is in the past, I'm sure they are really going to enjoy their new building and the added elbow room. I remember seeing my first escape on the forum here around 2003 i think? It's been fun watching them grow and succeed. Good job Escape, keep on trucking
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #29

Minnesota
Maggie R. (or any one else who has purchasesd a new Trillium from Tom) What were the issues that you had with your trailer (If any). I am in the process of buying one (site unseen). Any information would be greatly appreciated. Also I am just learning how to navigate this site, i hope i am doing this right. Don't know if i should send this to you directly. Thank you, John
Old 02-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #30

Minnesota
New Trillium

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Hi Donna. I stumbled on that thread the other day and had to laugh. That was our Trillium that Joe looked at in the outer banks. Our third or fourth night in it as I recall. We had to pay extra for the 3 way fridge. The battery was down a bit from running on 12v. I was charging it up with our solar panel. I guess he misunderstood. Perhaps the reference to new ownership is simply this is the new Trillium vs the old Ontario based Trillium?

As far as the NV address. Back in the spring we were promised first week in April delivery. When the first week in April came and went and not a word from Tom Young, I got concerned ($1500 deposit!!!) and did a little internet snooping. Using google maps I discovered Papa Murphy's Take and Bake Pizza located at that address. Not good. I looked a little closer and found there is also a UPS store in that strip mall. My guess is that corporate headquarters is a mail box. ??

On the new web site there is talk of an exceptionally well trained assembly crew, veteran RV personnel and engineers over seeing construction. Wish they were all there when ours was made! That said, the people who designed the 1300 all those years ago did a very good job. It is a very well thought out design. However, if you buy a new one you best be handy! Raz
I am in the process of buying a new Trillium (site unseen) any honest opinions would be greatly appreciated. "if you buy a new one you best be handy" What needed to be fixed? Thank you very much. John Hall
Old 02-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #31

Registry
Hi: Ken C... I understand the split up was two fold. One was capacity...elbow room, and the other was price. Because the Escape name was on the Mfg's. plate they didn't want to be involved with a cheaper product. It's nice to know that some people have ethics and won't sacrifice them for $$$'s!!! Yes the Escape trailer is more money but you do get what you pay for. This is my opinion and I'll stick to it!!!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #32

Registry
A chapter in our Trillium tale

Raz & Maggie say:

Some time last summer I posted a review of our trillium. For the most part I gave the trailer good marks. Good components, well thought out. Where things seem to be lacking are in the execution and the after sale service. Here is one example:

The bolts that fasten the body to the frame are stainless steel and fasten through tabs welded to the frame rather than through holes in the frame. This is good. One day I'm under the trailer adjusting the brakes when I noticed that the lock washer on one of the bolts is not compressed. I tried to tighten it but it would not tighten. I removed the bolt and found it is too long. That is: the unthreaded portion of the bolt is below the hole. An assortment of various size washers were used in an attempt to make the bolt work. What Tom told me was that the glass shop was out of the correct bolts so they put on what they had and the build shop was supposed to have replaced them. Oops. He promised to send 6 new bolts of the correct size with the appropriate hardware. That was a few months back.

When Tom called the other day I mentioned the bolts. It seems whoever was supposed to have sent them had "let him down". Since the bolts haven't shown up since then I can only assume there has been yet another let down? Some time this spring I will order the correct bolts (they are not available locally) and install them. I have to wonder if the other trailers that were delivered on the same load in May 2010 had the correct bolts?

There have been perhaps a dozen things like this that we have had or will have to take care of ourselves.

The one problem we can't fix easily is the misaligned kitchen section. It seems it was glassed in either too far forward or perhaps on an angle. The result is that the upper storage shelves don't fit right. On one side they added a truly ugly spacer and on the other they simply cut the shelf to fit. We missed it at the hurried rendezvous pick up in Syracuse, NY, and Tom did not mention it before or at the pick up. When we brought it up during a phone call afterwards we were told that they had corrected the problem since then. We basically got a factory second without being given the choice.

Note: The "I" in the message is P. Raz (aka, The Husband) ... I'm just doing the posting because I started the whole "conundrum" thing
Attached Thumbnails
Spacer2.jpg  
Old 02-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #33

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Maggie,

What was it about the California made Trillium that you liked better or caused you to choose it over the Canadian made Trillium?

Inquiring minds want to know

Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie R. View Post
It's a conundrum when people who are looking to buy a new American Trillium ask us if we'd buy it again.

We (that is: Raz, the Molly-dawg, and I) love the layout of the 13-footer. We love the jalousie windows on all four sides ... and THAT was what brought us to buying our Trillium. We talked extensively with both Scamp and Escape, but neither could give us the windows we absolutely-without-a-doubt-can't-talk-us-out-of-it wanted.

We knew going into the deal that customer service from the other side of the continent would be a non-event. We simply never expected to have the issues this particular camper has.

Nonetheless, we do enjoy it! As I said, it's a conundrum when we're asked.

Now if only we could hibernate through these non-stop snowstorms and wake up to Spring and camping and canoeing ........

Maggie
melissab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #34

Registry
Hmmmm ... The Canadian-made Trilliums were never seriously in the mix for us. Why? I honestly can't recall. I do know we were not contact them. Hmmmmm.

Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Maggie,

What was it about the California made Trillium that you liked better or caused you to choose it over the Canadian made Trillium?

Melissa
Old 02-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #35

Registry
Hi Melissa,

AHA! The Husband just reminded me: One of the reasons the Canadian-made Trillium (as well as the Scamp, Casita, and Escape) did not make it with us is because they did not (cannot?) offer the jalousie windows on all four sides. That was a requirement for us.

Just back in from snowshoeing in the woods. Beautiful sunny day in the teens F. Nice respite after yesterday's snowfall!

Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Maggie,

Melissa
Old 02-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #36

Registry
Wink

Melissa, the windows on all four sides are great. Being jalousie, they can be open during rain. The front window is the largest and admits the most air. The rear window is just as large but the opening part is smaller because of the escape half.

We like that the interior components are glassed, not screwed to bonded wood blocks.

We like that the interior components are not bolted through the walls making potential leak points.

Maggie R, I would reccommend that you take your bolt to a hardware store and get a nut that will slip over the unthreaded portion. This makes a good, small diameter spacer so you can tighten your bolt.

As far as the spacer is concerned, make lemonade from your lemon. You have a little space to sequester something. You could paint it white which would help hide it.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:32 PM   #37

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
So does that mean the Canadian Outback's interior components are not glassed and are bolted through the walls like Scamp and Casita or were you including Scamp and Casita in this discussion for reference? I was surprised to see the Outback also starts a couple thousand $$$ higher than the California Trillium too.

Thanks for your insight, some manufacturers dont put those construction details on their webpage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Melissa, the windows on all four sides are great. Being jalousie, they can be open during rain. The front window is the largest and admits the most air. The rear window is just as large but the opening part is smaller because of the escape half.

We like that the interior components are glassed, not screwed to bonded wood blocks.

We like that the interior components are not bolted through the walls making potential leak points.

Maggie R, I would reccommend that you take your bolt to a hardware store and get a nut that will slip over the unthreaded portion. This makes a good, small diameter spacer so you can tighten your bolt.

As far as the spacer is concerned, make lemonade from your lemon. You have a little space to sequester something. You could paint it white which would help hide it.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #38

Registry
Hi: Maggie R. I would suggest taking the bolts out again and adding extra spacer flat washer(s). Replace the nuts and add the correct size Nyloc Nuts and tighten all together. This will lock the shell to the frame and make sure it doesn't move on the frame bolts when in use. I hope this might help!!!
I am lucky to have a FACCA Fasteners dealer locally who seems to have every sort of nut&bolt that other hardware stores don't.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #39

Registry
Hi Roger C H,

Raz will be tackling the bolts once Spring & warmth return. And I still have faith they will return ... after all it IS only February.

And the spacer? Yah, we've got a plan for that, as well! Lemonade is great

Carry on ...
Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post

Old 02-03-2011, 07:44 PM   #40

Name: PaulOWindsor
Trailer: 2011 Trillium 1500 & 2002 Airstream 34
Ontario
Group : Considering all the stuff about Cali/Trillium in this thread...I hope it's safe to tell all of you that I've just firmed up an order for a new 1500 !!

It's coming on the same truck as two others bound for the Toronto RV show.

It's nice to meet all of you !!

Cheers, P.
PaulOWindsor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium